Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
The heavyweights like Aetna and United Healthcare claimed they are losing billions. You don't have to believe it. Companies are not in the business to lose money. If all the big guys leave, Obamacare is doom to fail. Period.
Of course they're losing money. They are being forced to insure people with pre-existing conditions. They also have to cover students under their parents' plan until 26. They are in the business to make money and answer only to their shareholders.

When I was a health insurance agent, I met cancer survivors, people with Lupus and MS or born with a heart defect who couldn't find decent coverage or had premiums so high they were cost prohibitive. So the answer was "Guess you're gonna die." Is that what people want?

So I wish people who were not in these situations would stop whining about Obamacare and begin looking at the real problem. Insurance companies raise premiums because they can. I always knew Obamacare would fail because we need to get for-profit companies out of our health care system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:13 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Only $1,900? Is that for a year? That's very low. I used to sell health insurance before Obamacare and a premium of $10,000 a year for a family of 4 was average, unless you had group insurance from an employer. As an independent contractor, I paid more than $800 a month just for my own coverage and finally had to drop my health insurance. (I'm over 65 and on Medicare now) Also, a $10,000 deductible for a family was not uncommon. Regarding rate increases, this is nothing new. Premiums were always increasing year after year.

So it really depends on which side of the fence you're on, since Obamacare has helped millions of families get health care coverage. However, I agree with you that the cost of health care in our country is outrageous, which is why we need to get the for-profit insurance providers out of the picture. It isn't the concept of universal health coverage that is jacking up the premiums, it's corporate greed.
Is that a serious question if it is per year! Do you think I would complain if it was per year.

Every time the bill comes in the mail we wonder why we keep paying it as we hardly ever go to a doctor and mail have it for catastrophic case but even going to a doctor makes us think twice as often doctors code a visit that is covered 100% completely wrong as we have dealt with or they try to have you undergo all kind of test that will break the bank.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Former Pres Clinton has already spilled the beans that things will change when Mrs Clinton takes office.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:34 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
If health insurance companies cannot provide fair rates while not being able to deny for pre-existing conditions, then they need to be done away with entirely and we need to change to medicare for all single payer.
pick your poison.

Are you prepared to pay much higher taxes to support the single payer system?

Other countries that have better healthcare systems have much higher tax rate.

You get to pick either unfair insurance rates, or unfair higher taxes

Old 10-25-2016, 04:02 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Only $1,900? Is that for a year? That's very low. I used to sell health insurance before Obamacare and a premium of $10,000 a year for a family of 4 was average, unless you had group insurance from an employer. As an independent contractor, I paid more than $800 a month just for my own coverage and finally had to drop my health insurance. (I'm over 65 and on Medicare now) Also, a $10,000 deductible for a family was not uncommon. Regarding rate increases, this is nothing new. Premiums were always increasing year after year.

So it really depends on which side of the fence you're on, since Obamacare has helped millions of families get health care coverage. However, I agree with you that the cost of health care in our country is outrageous, which is why we need to get the for-profit insurance providers out of the picture. It isn't the concept of universal health coverage that is jacking up the premiums, it's corporate greed.
Excellent Post. You are correct, it's not Universal Health Coverage that is raising cost, it is corporate Greed.

Every year for the last decade or two, our insurance premiums for our Health insurance have risen.
We get Private Insurance through my Husbands workplace...and it was raised a bit every year, even before anyone had ever heard of"Obamacare." This year it's raised twenty dollars a month. It's hard to afford it, but you can't afford to not have it.

I don't think the Affordable Care Act is perfect, it needs a whole bunch of work...but it has insured thousands of families and individuals who didn't have health insurance before...and it is saving the lives
and health of thousands of Americans.

We need to focus our efforts on getting the Pharmaceutical Companies and Insurance Companies to lower their prices so that the cost of Health Care comes down. I was watching Bill Maher last week on HBO and he had Bernie Sanders on, and Bernie has declared war on the Pharmaceutic Companies. Go Bernie!

I use to work for an insurance Company, and it was heartbreaking talking to the people who had medicines that cost six or seven thousand dollars a month (Usually Cancer drugs) and basically the insurance Companies knew how expensive the medication was, so it was often on the list of "non covered" Medication....often leaving the patient feeling like they had to try to come up with the money or just die. That is just wrong.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:06 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Excellent Post. You are correct, it's not Universal Health Coverage that is raising cost, it is corporate Greed.

Every year for the last decade or two, our insurance premiums for our Health insurance have risen.
We get Private Insurance through my Husbands workplace...and it was raised a bit every year, even before anyone had ever heard of"Obamacare." This year it's raised twenty dollars a month. It's hard to afford it, but you can't afford to not have it.

I don't think the Affordable Care Act is perfect, it needs a whole bunch of work...but it has insured thousands of families and individuals who didn't have health insurance before...and it is saving the lives
and health of thousands of Americans.

We need to focus our efforts on getting the Pharmaceutical Companies and Insurance Companies to lower their prices so that the cost of Health Care comes down. I was watching Bill Maher last week on HBO and he had Bernie Sanders on, and Bernie has declared war on the Pharmaceutic Companies. Go Bernie!

I use to work for an insurance Company, and it was heartbreaking talking to the people who had medicines that cost six or seven thousand dollars a month (Usually Cancer drugs) and basically the insurance Companies knew how expensive the medication was, so it was often on the list of "non covered" Medication....often leaving the patient feeling like they had to try to come up with the money or just die. That is just wrong.
"declaring war" and actually doing something about it are 2 different things. I like your post, but not sure what you're suggesting going forward.....are you thinking that Hillary is going to fix this mess, do you trust her to put American's first and make sure 'corporate greed' gets stepped on, she's going to fight for you, is that what you're thinking might happen?

Old 10-25-2016, 04:10 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Former Pres Clinton has already spilled the beans that things will change when Mrs Clinton takes office.

No matter who wins ACA will implode. That will be the extent of the change. I am happy we will be back to a Free Market system then.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I think imposing monetary fines for not being able to afford healthcare plans is one of the most ridiculous and outrageous laws out there. You may well charge $$$$ to a homeless person for being homeless.
Shhhhhhhh! - don't give dems any ideas.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:56 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Illegal aliens use the emergency room at 3 times the rate of a US citizen since they get it for "free". Pregnancies for illegal aliens are covered from conception to birth. Who do you think ends up paying the bill?

ObamaCareNot turned out to be everything that those opposed said it would. More and more people will become uninsured with "fines" they will not be able to afford.

Cut the middleman! When all people had was major medical, we weren't up to our ears in illegal aliens and anchor babies, medical care was affordable even for lower income families. Unfortunately, with no decent jobs, we rely on the insurance industry too heavily and the government seeks to keep them afloat as money is slipped in their pockets to do so.

Just heard AZ premiums will go up 116%. Got to support those illegal aliens. Yeah, the wall would cost too much!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:01 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
No thank you,

NEXT
What is Trump bring to the table to replace ACA? So far I haven't heard anything concrete. Will it be better? Will it be worse? We have no idea other than his assurances that it will be "great".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections