Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:17 PM

37,737 posts, read 40,789,075 times

Advertisements

I live in suburbia in TN. My early voting location is the only early voting location in the town.

I just early voted in person. I deliberately went after lunch hour would be over for most. I was able to check in and walk right up to a machine to vote but after I voted there were about 10 people on line waiting to show ID. I asked one of the people who gives me the number to type in on my ballot, how early voting was going and he said more people have early voted in person so far compared to the last 3 elections.

Outside of the early voting location were a gazillion signs for the local candidates and one big Trump sign. I saw no sign for Hillary and I looked. The CIA guy is not on the ballot in my state but Johnson and Stein are on the ballot.

What was your early voting in person experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 01:40 PM

11,188 posts, read 8,223,079 times
North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham area)

I went to one of about a dozen early voting locations in our county. You can vote at any open location during early voting, but have to go to your precinct for regular voting.

I waited about 30 minutes. By all reports, that was a short wait. Lines are consistently 90-120 minutes in all Wake County polling places.

NC does not have voter ID yet, but when I got to the front of the line, I had to verify the spelling of my name, had to verify my address (twice) and verify my DOB. Then had to sign a document and move to the next station to get my ballot (IMO, this makes widespread voter fraud almost impossible).

Our ballots are filled in manually, so there is no electronic fraud or error possibility unless it is programmed into the scanning machine, and then it would be 100%.

Outside, there were volunteers offering Democrat and Republican voter guides. You could accept either, both, or none. People outside were friendly, and while they discussed voting, and politics, they were careful to avoid discussing which candidate they supported. (NC is highly contentious right now)

IMO, the signs were WAY too close to the voting booths. I thought they were supposed to be something like 300 feet away, but they were no more than 75 feet from the door.

All in all, a good experience.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:56 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,038,972 times
It went smoothly in Miami, I had to wait in line for a little while, but otherwise OK.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:08 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,496,392 times
Waited in line 30 minutes yesterday early afternoon. Had to verify my name, address, date of birth and sign I was voting. Machine printed a paper which showed who I voted for.
Lots of voting locations in Vegas. They say heavy early voter turnout.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:19 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,945,343 times
Standing in line right now . About 20 people ahead of me . Line moving smooth . Only about 15 minute wait . I have to show I'd to vote .

Old 10-25-2016, 02:46 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,553,935 times
Northwest Harris County, Texas. I arrived to vote yesterday around 9:30ish and the line was long but it took only about 30 minutes wait time to finally vote. By the time I was done, the line was much longer. Oh and while I was in there, I saw plenty of people come in, looked at the long line and walked right out. There was one instance, where a couple of people in front of me were discussing the candidates (I didn't hear what was said) and one of the poll workers told them they can not discuss the candidates.

My day off was planned just right because I had time to watch the 11 o'clock showing of "The Girl On The Train" which, imo, was pretty good.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:57 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,269,128 times
My friend and I met at the early voting place at 8 am. Walked right through it. Had to show ID and fill out form. Then poll helpers checked that form against the registry and they gave us the ballot. Voted on the paper ballot and scan ballot to the machine. my vote showed as number 50 for the day so far. We then had breakfast at the local meeting place then on to run errands.

Have heard the lines have grown since then.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,234,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What was your early voting in person experience?
I received the ballot in the mail, opened the ballot, filled out the ballot, place the ballot into an envelope, sealed that envelope by licking it, I dated and signed that envelope, then placed that envelope into yet another envelope with free postage, which I subsequently sealed by licking it, then waited the next morning and drove to the post office and dropped the ballot into the mailbox. Pretty uneventful, like most of my voting experiences.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:53 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,544,810 times
I was a little peeved. I went to a local location and it was all electronic machines. I asked for a paper ballot and they said they didn't carry them and weren't authorized. I contacted my local election admin office and they substantiated that our county doesn't have paper ballots. I was automatically suspicious from then on due to the fact that I could have sworn we had the option according to the state government laws. I voted anyway but it seems like a con to me. Regardless, I have heard from the Democrat grapevine on facebook that at other location booths that the crowds were pro-Trump and even started shouting "Trump Trump" in the lines. Which is great.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:56 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,858,887 times
I stopped in and they saw my "I'm 4 Hillary" button and offered me a red wine and asked how many ballots I wanted I asked for ten and they said they would help me fill them out and I said "oh why don't you give me thirty then and I'll take another wine"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections