Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

After the election, will Trump supporters be able to reconcile with Republicans who did not support Trump during the election?

I think this is key to future GOP success. Republicans have to unite in order to advance their agenda, but if Trump supporters reject the Republican establishment agenda, what happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
My question is will the GOP blame Trump for the loss and continue with business as usual or will they see the larger picture and accept the fact that the demographics of the country have changed. The really have two issues they have to come to grips with because those Trump supporters don't want to hear about no demographic changes. In their mind that is part of the problem.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMMOB View Post
Whether Trump wins or loses, the Republican Party as we have all known it our entire lives is over. There is way too much division and anger within the party that I can't see it ever coming together again. Look for it to split into 2 new parties.

GOP members have no one to blame but themselves for this.
I thought that might happen with the Tea Party. But it didn't. In a way, the two halves are wedded together, because both halves recognize that they have an interest in staying together. The down-ticket races are a mix of the two halves, but depend on the resources of the party as a whole to win elections.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:29 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
My question is will the GOP blame Trump for the loss and continue with business as usual or will they see the larger picture and accept the fact that the demographics of the country have changed. The really have two issues they have to come to grips with because those Trump supporters don't want to hear about no demographic changes. In their mind that is part of the problem.
Smartest thing they can do (IMO) is blame Trump and his supporters for their loss. Cut that cancer out, and the Tea Party Cancer out and get back to their core message which is small government, fiscal responsibility, and National Security. I am 49 years old, and they have not followed through on this in my adult lifetime. Reagan, Bush, Bush all talked the talk but were politics as usual. The American people want change, and many want the values that the GOP claims to have. Most Americans do not want politicians wasting time or money pushing social agendas, so get ride of the Trumpsters, get rid of the Tea Partiers, and get rid of the career politician mentality. Learn to cooperate with the opposition, rediscover the art of compromise, and come across as country-loving Americans.

If you do that, you'll win votes in a relatively short cycle.

(I'm mostly Democratic in my voting, but I'd vote for what I described above, if I could trust it.)

Old 10-26-2016, 11:30 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
After the election, will Trump supporters be able to reconcile with Republicans who did not support Trump during the election?

I think this is key to future GOP success. Republicans have to unite in order to advance their agenda, but if Trump supporters reject the Republican establishment agenda, what happens?
The Republican party will never have success at the Presidential level by trying to reconcile the Trump supporters with the anti-Trump Republicans. The GOP needs to come to grips with the country's changing demographics and reach out to younger voters & minority voters to compete. They need to fix their primary (and platform) in order to get there.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:31 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

Long time Republican here. If Trump loses I am done with the party, and I believe there are millions of Trump supported who feel the same way.
To see the party walk away from Trump and put a known criminal in the WH shows me this is all a game. They would rather elect a criminal than an outsider who will come in and rain on their parade. They know if Trump wins, their gravy train will come to an end. These old coots don't stay in politics well in to their 80's and 90's because they care about America, the perks are just to good to give up until they die of old age.
A number of these turn coats were people I voted for, and I have now lost all respect for them, Mitt, John McCain, Powell, Meg Whitman, the list goes on and on. I can never support the Republican party again, they are all traitors.
When the top Republicans have full knowledge that the current president, the possible future president, the FBI, DOJ, IRS, and the MSM are all totally corrupt and still vote for her over an outsider, it's clear that they all put themselves over what is best for the country.
We don't know what we will get if Trump is elected, but we do know he has a reputation for getting things done on time and under budget. He may well prove to be a failure, but couldn't possibly be as bad as corrupt, America hating obama.
At least Trump loves and cares about America, more than can be said about obama or clinton, they only care about money and power. With Trump we have at least a 50/50 chance. with hillary, we have a 100% chance of failure, and the country will never be able to recover after she stacks the Supreme Court and raises havoc on America. Once the good Republicans leave the party, it will become a one party system, then we are just a step away from a dictatorship, just as obama/hilly are dreaming of.
I voted republican again, but if Trump loses I blame it on the party and I don't plan to ever vote again. It would be a wasted effort as every election is decided well in advance. Trump is correct, the system is rigged and I see no solution.
America has no future.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMMOB View Post
Whether Trump wins or loses, the Republican Party as we have all known it our entire lives is over. There is way too much division and anger within the party that I can't see it ever coming together again. Look for it to split into 2 new parties.

GOP members have no one to blame but themselves for this.
I've said since Trump won the Primary that the GOP (as we know it is over) - whether it survives in some form is still up for debate. It's more than "division and anger" it's about "who is the base?".

The RNC Political Elite actually believe "they" are the base and everyone else has to do (and vote) the way they tell them to vote. Oddly enough -- Voters believe that "they" are the base and the Elite refuse to honor their Vote. When the Washington D.C Political Elite join with RNC leadership in States and with the most prominent Republican Leaders like the entire Bush Family, Romeny, GOP Senators like McCain, Cruz, Graham and the RNC Super PACs into a Massive #NeverTrump movement AGAINST the Voters ...... the party is over. Is it really the "GOP Members" to blame? or is the Political Elites that refused to acknowledge the VOTES of the GOP Members aka "the base" of voters?

IF Trump wins (and I think he will) then it will re-organise in some way & finally do that "evolve" thing critics have called for. IF Trump loses - the Political Elites/#NeverTrump crowd will face the Reality of a massive Exodus from the "We know better than you & your vote doesn't count" Leaders.

There will certainly be a "split" - but has anyone ever seen a single Battalion of Generals win a battle without the Grunt Troops? There won't be anything left to "split".

The entire 2016 Election Cycle has been like nothing before - a Business Man that self funded with no Special Interest money. A Corporate Media, Unions, Wall Street Bankers & CEO's & both the GOP Leadership and Democratic Party fighting against him. Trump's use of Social Media, huge Rallies and the Historic Records he has broken. He runs a different type of campaign - he is writing a New Play Book, while everyone else is re-living the tired OLD Play Book.

It's it humorous that the Leftist have been whining for years about Campaign Finance Reform and yet everyone is ignoring that Donald J. Trump is proving that a Candidate doesn't NEED that Special Interest Money - while his Leftist Opponent is constantly begging for even more Special Interest Money .... not to mention Foreign Money.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I've said since Trump won the Primary that the GOP (as we know it is over) - whether it survives in some form is still up for debate. It's more than "division and anger" it's about "who is the base?".

The RNC Political Elite actually believe "they" are the base and everyone else has to do (and vote) the way they tell them to vote. Oddly enough -- Voters believe that "they" are the base and the Elite refuse to honor their Vote. When the Washington D.C Political Elite join with RNC leadership in States and with the most prominent Republican Leaders like the entire Bush Family, Romeny, GOP Senators like McCain, Cruz, Graham and the RNC Super PACs into a Massive #NeverTrump movement AGAINST the Voters ...... the party is over. Is it really the "GOP Members" to blame? or is the Political Elites that refused to acknowledge the VOTES of the GOP Members aka "the base" of voters?

IF Trump wins (and I think he will) then it will re-organise in some way & finally do that "evolve" thing critics have called for. IF Trump loses - the Political Elites/#NeverTrump crowd will face the Reality of a massive Exodus from the "We know better than you & your vote doesn't count" Leaders.

There will certainly be a "split" - but has anyone ever seen a single Battalion of Generals win a battle without the Grunt Troops? There won't be anything left to "split".

The entire 2016 Election Cycle has been like nothing before - a Business Man that self funded with no Special Interest money. A Corporate Media, Unions, Wall Street Bankers & CEO's & both the GOP Leadership and Democratic Party fighting against him. Trump's use of Social Media, huge Rallies and the Historic Records he has broken. He runs a different type of campaign - he is writing a New Play Book, while everyone else is re-living the tired OLD Play Book.

It's it humorous that the Leftist have been whining for years about Campaign Finance Reform and yet everyone is ignoring that Donald J. Trump is proving that a Candidate doesn't NEED that Special Interest Money - while his Leftist Opponent is constantly begging for even more Special Interest Money .... not to mention Foreign Money.
So from your perspective, the majority of Republicans support your agenda? Even though the heads of the party do not?

Old 10-26-2016, 12:00 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Smartest thing they can do (IMO) is blame Trump and his supporters for their loss. Cut that cancer out, and the Tea Party Cancer out and get back to their core message which is small government, fiscal responsibility, and National Security. I am 49 years old, and they have not followed through on this in my adult lifetime. Reagan, Bush, Bush all talked the talk but were politics as usual. The American people want change, and many want the values that the GOP claims to have. Most Americans do not want politicians wasting time or money pushing social agendas, so get ride of the Trumpsters, get rid of the Tea Partiers, and get rid of the career politician mentality. Learn to cooperate with the opposition, rediscover the art of compromise, and come across as country-loving Americans.
This could be the year.

Trump will probably take off with the Tea Party/KKK/Breitbart wing of the party.

So if they tell the self-righteous Religious Right to go peddle their unconstitutional nonsense somewhere else and focus on fiscal responsibility, and national security while cooperating and compromising with the Democrats to get things done, they might have a chance.

Fingers crossed.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:03 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
As I see it, Obamacare will be the destruction of the Democrats.

I've predicated this from the very beginning of Obamacare. I'm not a Dem or Rep and not taking sides. But, year by year as Obamacare spirals out of control and the fines escalate for not being able to buy unaffordable, high deducible, worthless healthcare, the Dems stranglehold on the US of A will most likely be dissolved by a massive vote-in for the Reps. (Who promise to abolish Obamacare...and replace it with nothing.)

Once that happens the politicians from both side can claim to have gave the citizens what they wanted. The Dems gave us 'affordable healthcare' the Reps abolished a onerous and worthless piece of legislation. What then...who knows??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections