Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,164,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Wow....just wow! You have a hard time believing how a person who is worth as much as HRC would risk her position as SoS. How do you think she got that worth? The only jobs she ever had have been in government. Even Chelsea Clinton saw all the pay-for-play corruption of her parents. Have you read any of the WikiLeaks emails that have come out? They are full of corruption. Why do you think the FBI is launching a second investigation of her?
First, the FBI investigation is about her handling of emails. That doesn't imply corruption.

Regarding the Chelsea emails, I've read some of them. It seems like the corruption she describes was on the part of other parties, not her parents. Here's an excerpt from the NYT article:

People she ran into whispered that the practice reminded them of former Prime Minister Tony Blair’s sneered-upon post-Downing Street moneymaking ventures, a comparison that she said “would horrify my father,” who had no idea his name was being used.

To be fair, I haven't read all of them, but I haven't seen anything that spells out corruption on the part of HRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Pay to Play ring a bell.If she does not win a lot of other corrupt world leaders will want their money back.Sucs to be her right now.
Yes, I'm aware of the "pay for play" allegations, but I am simply asking for evidence that shows HRC did this sort of stuff in a way that allowed her to personally benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
How pathetic that you're asking for evidence of corruption. Were you held back in school growing up?
I'm simply asking an honest question about an issue pertinent to this election. Why the need for insults?

And, btw, I was far from held back. I was in a gifted program and have a 1 in 2,700 IQ (on a 16 point SD distribution).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 11:40 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Corruption means one uses his or her status to gain personal benefits, typically financial. It isn't mere dishonesty. I completely agree that Hillary Clinton is dishonest, but I am having a hard time figuring out how she is corrupt. Even if she used her position as SoS to solicit donations to the Clinton Foundation, that doesn't seem like it would benefit her personally to any significant extent. While it's true that HRC can do some things like travel and attend various functions on the Clinton Foundation dime, that portion of the Clinton Foundation budget is so minuscule that it seems like a really bad way of obtaining personal benefits. I simply have a hard time believing a person who is worth as much as HRC is would risk her position as SoS -- a position that also allows extensive travel and perks that far outweigh those stemming from the Clinton Foundation -- for some free transportation (if even that). That seems irrational, and even if one were completely selfish, it doesn't seem prudent.

So what is the evidence of her corruption?
Bear in mind she and Bill were penniless upon vacating the White House. Through largely "benevolent" work with their foundation, a non profit organization, they amass a fortune of at least $150m. The non profit nature of their foundation was not really not for profit as we can clearly see. Agreed?. The Clinton foundations were very well run and lucrative business enterprise. We can all say and to some degree of accuracy that similar foundations are not pristine models of integrity. The Clintons just got carried away, pushing the envelope a bit further each time.

The Clinton's were merely public servants who were so enamored with the lifestyles of the richest private individuals in the land, and thought why not us as well.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:48 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Bear in mind she and Bill were penniless upon vacating the White House. Through largely "benevolent" work with their foundation, a non profit organization, they amass a fortune of at least $150m. The non profit nature of their foundation was not really not for profit as we can clearly see. Agreed?.
No. Disagreed. You think that just because the Clintons got rich and they happened to have a foundation that they personally skimmed money off of the foundation as their income. There is no evidence of that. This is a good example of where you are intellectually lazy and just running with a false conclusion as a result. And it is so with most conservatives who are claiming "corrupt, corrupt."

The Clintons - unlike Trump - release their tax returns, so you can see the sources of their income. There have been tons of articles on it. They made their money through book deals, tons of lucrative speaking engagements. Bill earned over $100M from speeches over like 10 years; he basically went around giving talks for like $250K a piece. I mean, do the rough math - it's like avg 40 speeches per year or 3-4 per month. He can easily swing that. That's all he does.

Now you can argue that their foundation increased their stature such that is enabled them to have more speaking engagements, but that is not the same as claiming that they took money directly from the foundation and spent it on a personal jet.

How have Clinton and Trump earned their money over the years? | PBS NewsHour

About 60% of Hillary and Bill Clinton's income comes from speeches - Aug. 12, 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5f1_story.html

Old 10-28-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Bear in mind she and Bill were penniless upon vacating the White House. Through largely "benevolent" work with their foundation, a non profit organization, they amass a fortune of at least $150m. The non profit nature of their foundation was not really not for profit as we can clearly see. Agreed?.
No, not agreed. It would be virtually impossible for a person in HRC's position to steal -- which is what it would be -- $150 million from a non-profit organization. Saying they were broke and now they aren't isn't exactly a strong case for embezzlement.

Quote:
The Clinton foundations were very well run and lucrative business enterprise. We can all say and to some degree of accuracy that similar foundations are not pristine models of integrity. The Clintons just got carried away, pushing the envelope a bit further each time.

The Clinton's were merely public servants who were so enamored with the lifestyles of the richest private individuals in the land, and thought why not us as well.
But how have the Clinton's personally made money off of the Clinton Foundation? That is my question. What is the actual mechanism by which they made money?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:00 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Rather than rehash Hillary's corruption which you'd need time to write a book... google is your friend. Unless you're really not interested in what you call An Honest Question About Clinton's Supposed Corruption.

In a previous thread you also claimed to want an honest discussion but then went on to say conservatives wish they could go back to 1855 so they don't have to hide their racism. When I brought the fact that Democrats fought to keep slavery, you tried to switch claims then ran off.

In other words you have no interest in honest discussion

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND

Old 10-29-2016, 12:02 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Rather than rehash Hillary's corruption which you'd need time to write a book... google is your friend. Unless you're really not interested in what you call An Honest Question About Clinton's Supposed Corruption
But what do you get when you google? Your right-wing conspiracy blogs that also claim that Obama was born in Kenya and that Hillary sacrifices babies? Your sources are generally bat**** crazy, so how can we rely on "just do a google search?" Post up some hard evidence of corruption.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:05 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
But what do you get when you google? Your right-wing conspiracy blogs that also claim that Obama was born in Kenya and that Hillary sacrifices babies? Your sources are generally bat**** crazy, so how can we rely on "just do a google search?" Post up some hard evidence of corruption.
So all information that isn't in line with your thinking is right-wing conspiracy?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Rather than rehash Hillary's corruption which you'd need time to write a book... google is your friend. Unless you're really not interested in what you call An Honest Question About Clinton's Supposed Corruption.

In a previous thread you also claimed to want an honest discussion but then went on to say conservatives wish they could go back to 1855 so they don't have to hide their racism. When I brought the fact that Democrats fought to keep slavery, you tried to switch claims then ran off.

In other words you have no interest in honest discussion

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND
My God, I said no such thing. Can you read? I'm being serious. Can you read? Go back and read that post. I said no such thing.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-29-2016 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 10-29-2016, 12:25 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,950,522 times
Quote:
So all information that isn't in line with your thinking is right-wing conspiracy?
Even mind-numbing left wing sites like MSNBC, HuffPost and Vox have reported on Hillary's corruption.

This is a troll thread. The OP and her have no interest in "learning" about Hillary's corruption. They both know all about it, but refuse to acknowledge it.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

But how have the Clinton's personally made money off of the Clinton Foundation? That is my question. What is the actual mechanism by which they made money?
A very intricate and well designed system whereby the State Dept. and the Clinton foundations were a symbiotic partnership, working in tandem to provide favors and preferential treatment to donors, who provided the hefty speaking fees to the Clinton's via the Clinton Foundation. In effect, the foundation was a front for pay for play activities conducted by Hillary as she was still SOS.

There are numerous articles on the internet to shed more light on the quid pro quo arrangements between the two entities. Even by the normal standards of speaking fees by former dignitaries, Bill Clinton routinely exceeded them all, getting at one time $550,000 for a speech to a Chinese Business group.. Just ten days later Hillary then makes her infamous Asian Pivot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections