Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:10 PM

1,327 posts, read 722,648 times

Advertisements

Vector, outstanding post.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:18 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
What bothers me about this forum is the poor quality of most of the posts. Too many posts are one-line zingers aimed at the other party, but they don't actually engage any important issue with substance.

I have two real-life friends who are conservatives. I love talking politics with one, and I hate talking politics with the other. The first is intelligent, able to discuss issues with philosophical sophistication and never resorts to broad-stroke criticisms of liberals. The second spends too much time reading Breitbart and Drudge Report, is given to conspiracy theories, and has poor logic abilities. There are too many people on this forum who are similar the second friend.

For instance, a few days ago, I started a thread similar to this one. I said that too many people from both sides were spending time being critical of the entire other side without actually engaging any issues. I gave an example of the kind of comment liberals might say about conservatives, and vice versa. Two posters on here literally quoted one of my example comments -- things I said people shouldn't say -- and tried to argue that I was actually making those claims. That is an example of either complete dishonesty or a poor level of reading comprehension. That sort of thing happens all the time on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Yawn come here and blow off steam like a normal person it's nothing personal.

Saying things you can't say publicly is the point.
I don't understand this sentiment. The people reading your messages are still real people. Why should you be any less courteous to them than you are to people in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I have a lot of contact with someone who is a liberal. Anytime politics comes up she talks right over you, actually, her eyes get all bugged out and she gets in your face and talks right over you. In her mind she is right and that's that. I've learned not to bother. She is not interested in discussing, she wants to shove her opinion up your butt, no one has a right to have an opinion but her. We are fine as long as politics does not come up but if it does, it feels like you can be in danger.

Today she brought politics up again I was surprised when she said there is no way I'll vote for Hillary, I'm staying home.
What does that have to do with anything?

I think we all know people like this, and they are probably from both sides of the aisle.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:26 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
It's sad we're all at each others throats right now on this forum. I think it brings out the worst on both sides.

As a moderate conservative, I truly believe I would get along just fine in the real world with most of the people I have differing views with on this forum.

The hate spewed from both sides on this forum in the last several months is unlike anything I've seen on CD and I've been here for seven years now. I'm not innocent by any means. I've said a lot of things on this forum I likely would not say at the workplace or even to close friends who I disagree with. The fact that it's an anonymous forum adds to the nastiness.

My next door neighbor and my immediate boss are staunch liberals. We talk about issues but there is never any of the crazyness I see here.

How do other people on both sides of the fence here converse with those that disagree with them away from this forum. Do you engage in conversation or do you avoid all confrontation? Do you sever ties? I've heard some people on this forum they are being shunned by family for their political opinions. This is just crazy to me!

Just wondering how other people, regardless of their political affiliation, are handling interactions with those they disagree with that are close to them, whether it is at home or at work or play.

You're taking this place way too seriously.

Most posters just come here to fight and throw out insults.

I know it calls itself a "political forum" but there's almost no discussion occurring here. And almost never is a well thought out argument posted. If one is, it's immediately dismissed by the partisans on the other side.

Come here to have fun.

Don't expect a mature exchange of ideas.

In that respect, it's just like national politics.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You're taking this place way too seriously.

Most posters just come here to fight and throw out insults.

I know it calls itself a "political forum" but there's almost no discussion occurring here. And almost never is a well thought out argument posted. If one is, it's immediately dismissed by the partisans on the other side.

Come here to have fun.

Don't expect a mature exchange of ideas.

In that respect, it's just like national politics.

I would say 80% of the threads are like that.

This one has already been hijacked for a change. See post #10. Totally off topic, flaming and partisan.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
I like the anonymity of the forum and the fact that we express what is truly on our minds. This is what real people are thinking, unfiltered, as opposed to what can be said, given the filters of society's rules and etiquette. Truth-be-told, many of us opposing viewed people would probably be friends in real life.

My own wife was a Hillary supporter (up until Friday)...and I'm still madly in love with her. We just went on a week's vacation in FL with another couple, both Trump supporters, so it was 3-against-1...and we had a great time.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:33 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
What bothers me about this forum is the poor quality of most of the posts. Too many posts are one-line zingers aimed at the other party, but they don't actually engage any important issue with substance.
You know why that is? That's because nobody changes his mind. The people who resort to one-liners have probably posted page long opinion pieces but then realized it doesn't matter what you argue. People put on their team jerseys and are cheering their side. My brother has zero interest in politics or policy. Doesn't know the first thing about trade, taxes, immigration or anything else, but he is going with Hillary because Trump can't finish a sentence or his vocabulary is about 50 words. How do you argue with a guy like him?

Old 10-31-2016, 10:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
That's a fallacy. To your face your neighbors, friends and coworkers may seem nice and decent. Do an investigation and find out what they really say and do behind others' backs. You'll never believe people at face value or see things with rose colored glasses again.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:36 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
I'd blame on Trump for what you observed.

Trump is the one who is divisive and brought out all the ugly political war with his bigotry: media is liberal, women are liars, federal judge in Trump University fraud case got Mexican heritage, building wall, baning all muslims ... now Trump wants White House and nuclear button. Can you imagine voting a crazy person like Trump?

Old 10-31-2016, 10:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I like the anonymity of the forum and the fact that we express what is truly on our minds.
Correct. That's why using facebook is so painful. Friends post blatantly anti-Trump stuff but, being under my real name, I have to bite my tongue and don't say anything. Not so here.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:42 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
It's sad we're all at each others throats right now on this forum. I think it brings out the worst on both sides.

As a moderate conservative, I truly believe I would get along just fine in the real world with most of the people I have differing views with on this forum.

The hate spewed from both sides on this forum in the last several months is unlike anything I've seen on CD and I've been here for seven years now. I'm not innocent by any means. I've said a lot of things on this forum I likely would not say at the workplace or even to close friends who I disagree with. The fact that it's an anonymous forum adds to the nastiness.

My next door neighbor and my immediate boss are staunch liberals. We talk about issues but there is never any of the crazyness I see here.

How do other people on both sides of the fence here converse with those that disagree with them away from this forum. Do you engage in conversation or do you avoid all confrontation? Do you sever ties? I've heard some people on this forum they are being shunned by family for their political opinions. This is just crazy to me!

Just wondering how other people, regardless of their political affiliation, are handling interactions with those they disagree with that are close to them, whether it is at home or at work or play.
I post absolutely nothing on Facebook but am friended up with every type you can imagine. I just watch the craziness zoom by and once in a while, I have to unfollow somebody because they post 50 liberal posts an hour or 50 Ted Nugent posts an hour. So, when I sort those yahoos out, two other yahoos come to the forefront.

At work, I keep my mouth shut about politics unless I'm with one of my peeps, folks who share my views.

This is where we vent and let our hair down and test our thoughts with others.

The anonymity here is freeing in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections