Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:51 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

I ask about your thoughts because I'm on the verge of not voting anymore. Although I don't think I'd ever be that disgusted, because if nothing else, I have to vote to cancel out a vote for the other side , whichever side that is in whichever election.

EARLY VOTING
Some states don't have early voting. And, no doubt, It IS more "convenient" to have early voting. But whether it's this election or some other, voting that starts more than TWO WEEKS before election day is crazy. Some states DO allow early voters to change their minds -- but even so, look at how much work THAT could be.

VOTE BY MAIL
I've heard a story about an HONEST voter in Oregon, where they only vote my mail, getting TWO ballots. (He is indeed REGISTERED twice. Because SOMEwhere (DMV) he was registered twice, with two different names….same name, one with initial one not, and that "created" two registrations. So this guy got TWO ballots. HE was honest and called someone who DIShonest, could have voted twice. God help us.

And the state has already admitted that those TWO ballots would have BOTH been counted. That they wouldn't have caught it. THAT is not good. That's crazy.

I never have likeld the idea of vote by mail. I never have understood how that count could be trusted. How do you know your ballot was actually COUNTED. A whole lot of stuff gets MAILED that never gets to where it's going. How do they know there's not a bag of votes dumped somewhere?

REGISTRATION
In Virginia where ad advocacy group has documented the registration of immigrants who just have to check a paper to say they're a citizen. They can LIE and get registered. Isn't that also crazy? The group is trying to stop those people from voting in time for election day…OR those NON citizens will be allowed to vote. THAT is why I am for having to prove citizenship to vote. NOT having that IMO is crazy.

Your thoughts on HOW America votes??? Early voting, vote by mail, how we register, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 09:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I think voting by mail is great. I don't think any state should let you change your vote afterwards.

I voted wrong on the solar bill in Florida because I thought it was a good thing and didn't know the energy utilities were behind it, so be it. If it passes hopefully it can be repealed.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:58 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
I early vote. I don't know how someone else can vote in my place.

You walk in, they have to find your name on the roll. Check your address, sign and mark you off. You sign and then they give you the ballot.

I always use a pPer ballot.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Early voting is the bomb! I'm not a fan of mail in ballots; though I have used them in the past.

Mail in seems to have the most potential for shenanigans, IMO.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:08 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Until/unless the U.S. makes election day a national holiday, early voting will continue to be more and more popular. Not everyone can get to the polls on a workday, especially in states that close polling places in an attempt to keep the numbers down, where voters end up standing in line for hours to exercise their basic right to vote. It's shameful, and makes us look like a third world country. But early voting makes up for some of it. I'd like to see it expand nationwide.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:12 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
I'm under the impression that mailed ballots don't get counted at all unless the race is close enough for their number to matter (at least that's what I was always told when I was active duty military--and voted by absentee ballot for a quarter century).

Properly functioning local balloting should not be any more subject to manipulation than voting on the same day--the same controls should work the same way.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:13 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think voting by mail is great. I don't think any state should let you change your vote afterwards.

I voted wrong on the solar bill in Florida because I thought it was a good thing and didn't know the energy utilities were behind it, so be it. If it passes hopefully it can be repealed.
I voted no because I was warned about it by friends way before I read my ballot

They are already trying to nullify the amendment because the description was misleading. I hope the courts are honest enough to throw that crap out.

Florida Supreme Court to consider taking utility-backed solar Amendment 1 off ballot | Utility Dive

Old 11-04-2016, 11:19 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Oregon, Washington State and Colorado are vote by mail only.
That's crazy to me. How could you ever trust that vote?

MAYBE in a state that's "all blue or red" it wouldn't matter. But a swing state? You've got to be kidding…..

And for a state to admit -- "uh yeah, this person would have been able to vote twice. We wouldn't have caught it." I just can't even fathom that vote being legitimate.

I met a young man last week and asked him was he voting. He said no because he doesn't think it matters. All I had to offer him was the "well you can't complain if you don't vote…your vote is your voice" argument. He said "yeah, but I think they're all in cahoots together anyway.'

It was just sad to see a young person do dejected and not participating.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:28 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I live in Colorado, and I hate mail-in ballots. It would be MUCH too easy to steal ballots, forge signatures, and send them in.

I mean, really -- does someone check the signature of every mail-in ballot, or are there computer "readers" who will scan the signatures for matches on drivers' iicenses, tax returns, etc.? And even if there is such a protection in place, what would happen if a signature did not match closely enough? I have never heard to any kind of voting police to make sure that the person who voted was actually the person who should have voted.

I firmly believe that we should ALL go back to actually having to go to the voting booth -- and ALSO show ID -- with exceptions made for those who request a mail-in ballot due to some kind of disability or absence on Election Day.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm under the impression that mailed ballots don't get counted at all unless the race is close enough for their number to matter (at least that's what I was always told when I was active duty military--and voted by absentee ballot for a quarter century).

Properly functioning local balloting should not be any more subject to manipulation than voting on the same day--the same controls should work the same way.
I heard on the news that they are counted first.

and of course it's counted it's a vote as valid and any other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections