U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 03:26 PM

4,788 posts, read 3,352,637 times

Advertisements

If his ego could be weighed in pounds yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 03:30 PM

11,172 posts, read 11,215,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I think Trump is full of crap and will hardly do anything. He'll just relegate the job to Pence, like he originally wanted to do with Kasich had he accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We've been through some crappy times before.

This country can stand 4 years of Donald

IMO, people give too much credit and power to the POTUS. Some on CD think the president is at every meeting in every town in every state.

He has no control over the price of gasoline or how many people get a job.

Now, confidence is another story. Along with the stock market.
I think this was just the biggest challenge of Trump's life--one he just had to succeed at just to be able to say, "I set my sights on the Presidency and I did it." Then he'd fire himself after a 1st term just to get back to The Apprentice. In the meantime I'd be perfectly happy if he just delegates all the decisions to his staff, the military and Congress while he takes a 4-year vacation in New York city, I mean if such a thing is possible, like what sandsthetime hints at above. What I worry about is the guy will take all this seriously and try to make decisions.

Let's take the nuclear thing mentioned, the one about Trump having all the launch codes. Could Trump feasibly give the orders to launch unilaterally, or would he be placed under arrest by the military pending impeachment if he did try to launch against their advice. Worse, what if there is a cadre of high-placed generals who'd secretly like to see Putin and Russia wiped off the globe? Would they give their approval because they fear Putin will beat us to the punch and they don't mind sacrificing 3/4's of the country to mushroom clouds to get in a first strike? I'm starting to get jittery already. Hillary has already threatened to deal decisively with Russia if she's elected. One is the pan and the other is the fire.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:32 PM

7,817 posts, read 4,995,292 times
The main function of the US President is to be cheerleader-in-chief. He/she functions best, by minimizing action, and limiting involvement to the occasional rousing speech, or diplomatic engagement. A president with ambitious ideas is generally bad news for the economy, unless it's a time of crisis, where public-sector involvement is necessary to shore-up private-sector shortfalls. A president with outlandish and provocative pronouncements will rattle the financial markets and cause all sorts of instability. So, even the US President has limited powers to actually cause economic harm, saying dumb and obnoxious things can cause the markets to harm themselves. This is already happened, as stock markets worldwide are pricing in the possibility of a Trump victory.

In short, it's not the case that Trump substantially could blow up the world; but his wildness and intransigence could cause the world to blow up itself.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:35 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,012,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I feel like this is some alternate reality

Right wingers reading and quoting John Pilger. LOL

Old 11-05-2016, 03:38 PM

11,172 posts, read 11,215,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The main function of the US President is to be cheerleader-in-chief. He/she functions best, by minimizing action, and limiting involvement to the occasional rousing speech, or diplomatic engagement. A president with ambitious ideas is generally bad news for the economy, unless it's a time of crisis, where public-sector involvement is necessary to shore-up private-sector shortfalls. A president with outlandish and provocative pronouncements will rattle the financial markets and cause all sorts of instability. So, even the US President has limited powers to actually cause economic harm, saying dumb and obnoxious things can cause the markets to harm themselves. This is already happened, as stock markets worldwide are pricing in the possibility of a Trump victory.

In short, it's not the case that Trump substantially could blow up the world; but his wildness and intransigence could cause the world to blow up itself.
So then stuff like the below is just political saber-rattling:

Quote:
Putin ally tells Americans: vote Trump or face nuclear war

Putin ally tells Americans: vote Trump or face nuclear war | Reuters

Old 11-05-2016, 03:41 PM

11,377 posts, read 7,715,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think this was just the biggest challenge of Trump's life--one he just had to succeed at just to be able to say, "I set my sights on the Presidency and I did it." Then he'd fire himself after a 1st term just to get back to The Apprentice. In the meantime I'd be perfectly happy if he just delegates all the decisions to his staff, the military and Congress while he takes a 4-year vacation in New York city, I mean if such a thing is possible, like what sandsthetime hints at above. What I worry about is the guy will take all this seriously and try to make decisions.
We basically had that Bush Jr was President but he spent most of his time on vacation and Cheney ran the show and we ended up invading Iraq because of lies that they had weapons of mass destruction. The war took Bill Clinton's surplus and squandered it with less taxes on the rich and the war which raised oil prices for Texas oil man Bush Jr and made Cheney a millionaire from government contracts with Halliburton.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:45 PM

25,269 posts, read 15,298,240 times
Trump would likely be the more hands on one . Hillary needs 11 people to compose a TWEET lol

Old 11-05-2016, 04:13 PM

7,817 posts, read 4,995,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
We basically had that Bush Jr was President but he spent most of his time on vacation and Cheney ran the show and we ended up invading Iraq because of lies that they had weapons of mass destruction. The war took Bill Clinton's surplus and squandered it with less taxes on the rich and the war which raised oil prices for Texas oil man Bush Jr and made Cheney a millionaire from government contracts with Halliburton.
Bush Jr., though largely a fool, at least had a modicum of humility. His religiosity, however cloyingly simplistic, at least prevented him from imagining himself as the center of the universe. His mistakes were mostly mistakes of incompetence and misapprehension of the world around him. Trump lacks that humility. He lacks personal boundaries, even if the US Constitution and its separation of powers would erect boundaries around him. This personal lack of boundaries, and consequent outlandish behavior, is what's such a risk in potentially "sinking the country".

Old 11-05-2016, 05:01 PM

11,361 posts, read 8,392,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Let's take the nuclear thing mentioned, the one about Trump having all the launch codes. Could Trump feasibly give the orders to launch unilaterally, or would he be placed under arrest by the military pending impeachment if he did try to launch against their advice. Worse, what if there is a cadre of high-placed generals who'd secretly like to see Putin and Russia wiped off the globe? Would they give their approval because they fear Putin will beat us to the punch and they don't mind sacrificing 3/4's of the country to mushroom clouds to get in a first strike? I'm starting to get jittery already. Hillary has already threatened to deal decisively with Russia if she's elected. One is the pan and the other is the fire.
The POTUS is no different than the head a most large companies. He only knows what they tell him. IF stuff gets serious, he probably would not even know about it. He can't keep good help. Even Roger Ailes deserted him.

Do you think he would leave Manhattan for the White House?

My biggest question is how would he put that family owned business into a blind trust. Ain't no way to do it.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:31 PM

20,095 posts, read 12,061,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Bush Jr., though largely a fool, at least had a modicum of humility. His religiosity, however cloyingly simplistic, at least prevented him from imagining himself as the center of the universe. His mistakes were mostly mistakes of incompetence and misapprehension of the world around him. Trump lacks that humility. He lacks personal boundaries, even if the US Constitution and its separation of powers would erect boundaries around him. This personal lack of boundaries, and consequent outlandish behavior, is what's such a risk in potentially "sinking the country".
Papa bush had his eyes on the back of his head 24/7. And bush rebelled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections