Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:20 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Bernie was NEVER going to win the nomination....even Bernie knew that to be true.
When the DNC and media are coordinating to ensure that this doesn't happen, of course you're never going to win the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 11:23 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This is the reason I never liked this electoral college. I can understand why some people on this thread are upset.

However IMHO in this particular case, if this elector is a former Bernie Sanders supporter I can understand his reasoning given the way the Democratic Party leadership was unfairly turned against Bernie by the Clinton machine.
Bernie didn't appeal to blacks and other minorities so he could have never been the nominee

Old 11-05-2016, 11:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This is the reason I never liked this electoral college. I can understand why some people on this thread are upset.

However IMHO in this particular case, if this elector is a former Bernie Sanders supporter I can understand his reasoning given the way the Democratic Party leadership was unfairly turned against Bernie by the Clinton machine.
Trump accused Cruz's father of being part of the Kennedy assassination. He said his wife was ugly. He implied Ben Carson was a child molester. If Trump won a state and the elector refused to vote for Trump because of Trump's actions, you would support that? Good to know.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Washington is one of the states that has a law that binds its electors to vote for the winning candidate.

These laws have never been tested in court, so...

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...l-college.aspx

What's unusual about Washington is that the state runs a primary for both Ds and Rs. However, the Ds actually select their nominee by caucus. Sanders won the caucuses, which of course are dominated by party activists. IIRC, about 30,000 people participated in the state-wide caucuses, Sanders won about 20,000 votes. However, Clinton won the primary with 380,000 votes to Sanders' 330,000.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I am a Bernie supporter, but I never understood the "DNC screwed us" argument.

Bernie is not a Democrat, so why would he expect the DNC to treat him fairly when he was running against a Democrat? He only ran as a Democrat because that was the only way he could win the presidency.

Would anyone expect an independent candidate to be treated fairly by the RNC if he/she was running in the Republican primary against Marco Rubio? I wouldn't.
Bernie wasnt treated unfairly, he simply did not have any establishment or rank and file supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections