Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
So blatant obstructionism is the will of the people???

Who knew?
That's you're definition. Other's like myself see it as Congress representing the people that voted for them. If you're from a conservative state or congressional district, then those people vote in conservatives in Congress knowing they will battle with a liberal president so the liberal president doesn't get his liberal agenda passed. Once again, this is how our Republic works. The opposite is true also when there's a conservative president in office
It's not suppose to work like you would like it to where you have a liberal president and the rest of the country follows lock step with them and gives them whatever they want.
Now you know. Feel any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 10:41 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
And the GOP has learned...nothing.

GOP strategist: Clinton will win -- but Congress won't work with her

GOP strategist: Clinton will win -- but Congress won't work with her - CNNPolitics.com

"Unfortunately, instead of seeing this as an opportunity for Republicans to do a little self-introspection, a chance to look beyond ourselves, and to rise to the moment -- which would help us grow nationally," said Weaver, "the instinct will be to throw landmines, not to govern and to cause problems above and beyond being just the normal loyal opposition ideologically."
If the system stays a lying/corrupt/bought and sold system, and the herd once again is stupid enough to elect a hil type, a rational person will indeed agree that gridlock is the best solution by far.

Quote:
So blatant obstructionism is the will of the people???

Who knew?
Are you serious to ask such a thing? The "will" of the people has been sold down the river long ago and they largely elect the self serving/bought off/don't serve the people types over and over and over again. Wow, someone who really thinks politicians care /serve/ the "will" of people. Sad. You're just useful at election day to start the cycle again. Then see ya in another few years.

Someone's who's intelligent and understands the current political is self serving/serves the donors and not the people, yes, the less this self serving system does, the better. It makes a great deal of sense unless you are a big $ donor/stand to gain from our bought and sold system? If that's the case, I can see your concern.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:44 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Perhaps an act of futility, but I'll try to talk reason with you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If the Democrats don't change their anti America policy's it will lead to something worse than dysfunctional government. They need to realize that globalism is going to get resistance by those who want to remain Americans.
Democrats are not anti-American. They are very pro-American. It's the Republicans who try to label everything that is "not what they think" as anti-American. Oddly, that is the most anti-American thing they could do. Our strength is that we are a nation of open-minded people and we are innovators. You know, "new ideas". We can change with the times. Republicans seem to want America back in 1789. That would be nice and all, but in 2016 it just wouldn't work.

So about globalism: Here's the thing. Globalism is not an agenda, it's a fact. It is a result of technology and there's no stopping it. While the book is a bit dated by now, you might read "The World is Flat". It does a good job of explaining (to those who need it explained) that there is this thing called the internet, and there is a mobile populous. It is not a result of US Immigration or trade policies, it's a result of technology. Most things can be done, or made, or designed more cheaply in places where the labor force is priced cheaper, and where people are hungry and willing to work.

Understandably, many are afraid of this. Especially the small thinkers, who can't seem to plan beyond tomorrow. These are the same people who are likely in debt to their eyeballs, and who live check to check, EVEN if they make a good income.

Anyway, if you live in fear like that, then globalism is bad. However, if you can cobble together a vision, it's an opportunity. America is great because of our innovation. We are great because we don't quit. We are great because we are the most productive workforce in the history of the world. So instead of abandoning those things, so you can hang onto your minimum wage job at the textile plant, or so you can keep breathing black soot at your coal-mining job, in a failing industry, why not read the writing on the wall. Invent things. make things better. do the jobs that require more education and that set us apart. Your progressive government wants to give you (the American people) the tools and the skills to do it, but you've been programed to be mistrustful of anything and anyone who is different. Take the skills. Quit your nasty job in the coal-mine, double your pay, and work in a new, clean environment making the next medicine, or building the next generation of computer chips, or designing the factory of tomorrow. Do something of conseqence, AND GET PAID FOR IT.

People who have bought into the fear of change are people who have a small vision of the world, and a small image of themselves. You've been told to believe you are not capable, but in fact you are.

I am not pro-Hillary, and I'm not saying that change is painless, but I am saying it is inevitable, and you can either take hold of the reigns, or you can blindly ride it to the bottom. Your choice!

What baffles me the most is that the people who claim to be so patriotic have no confidence in all that makes us the greatest nation on earth. The people who claim to embrace capitalism want their government to interject fake barriers to trade. The people who want less government want to legislate every detail of every citizens life, just as long as it meets with their own tiny world view.

And the people who can't stand the liberal agenda see no problem with the obstructionist agenda. I guess they are squarely in the camp of "if I can't have my way, I'll take us all down together".

It is really sad. And the real anti-American sentiment is coming from the small-minded Trump supporters.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's you're definition. Other's like myself see it as Congress representing the people that voted for them. If you're from a conservative state or congressional district, then those people vote in conservatives in Congress knowing they will battle with a liberal president so the liberal president doesn't get his liberal agenda passed. Once again, this is how our Republic works. The opposite is true also when there's a conservative president in office
It's not suppose to work like you would like it to where you have a liberal president and the rest of the country follows lock step with them and gives them whatever they want.
Didn't say that, no matter how hard you wish I did. Funny that the Congress worked with Reagan, and they worked with Clinton. They refused with Obama.

They learned nothing.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:47 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Democrats are not anti-American. They are very pro-American. It's the Republicans who try to label everything that is "not what they think" as anti-American. Oddly, that is the most anti-American thing they could do. Our strength is that we are a nation of open-minded people and we are innovators. You know, "new ideas". We can change with the times. Republicans seem to want America back in 1789. That would be nice and all, but in 2016 it just wouldn't work.

So about globalism: Here's the thing. Globalism is not an agenda, it's a fact. It is a result of technology and there's no stopping it. While the book is a bit dated by now, you might read "The World is Flat". It does a good job of explaining (to those who need it explained) that there is this thing called the internet, and there is a mobile populous. It is not a result of US Immigration or trade policies, it's a result of technology. Most things can be done, or made, or designed more cheaply in places where the labor force is priced cheaper, and where people are hungry and willing to work.

Understandably, many are afraid of this. Especially the small thinkers, who can't seem to plan beyond tomorrow. These are the same people who are likely in debt to their eyeballs, and who live check to check, EVEN if they make a good income.

Anyway, if you live in fear like that, then globalism is bad. However, if you can cobble together a vision, it's an opportunity. America is great because of our innovation. We are great because we don't quit. We are great because we are the most productive workforce in the history of the world. So instead of abandoning those things, so you can hang onto your minimum wage job at the textile plant, or so you can keep breathing black soot at your coal-mining job, in a failing industry, why not read the writing on the wall. Invent things. make things better. do the jobs that require more education and that set us apart. Your progressive government wants to give you (the American people) the tools and the skills to do it, but you've been programed to be mistrustful of anything and anyone who is different. Take the skills. Quit your nasty job in the coal-mine, double your pay, and work in a new, clean environment making the next medicine, or building the next generation of computer chips, or designing the factory of tomorrow. Do something of conseqence, AND GET PAID FOR IT.

People who have bought into the fear of change are people who have a small vision of the world, and a small image of themselves. You've been told to believe you are not capable, but in fact you are.

I am not pro-Hillary, and I'm not saying that change is painless, but I am saying it is inevitable, and you can either take hold of the reigns, or you can blindly ride it to the bottom. Your choice!

What baffles me the most is that the people who claim to be so patriotic have no confidence in all that makes us the greatest nation on earth. The people who claim to embrace capitalism want their government to interject fake barriers to trade. The people who want less government want to legislate every detail of every citizens life, just as long as it meets with their own tiny world view.

And the people who can't stand the liberal agenda see no problem with the obstructionist agenda. I guess they are squarely in the camp of "if I can't have my way, I'll take us all down together".

It is really sad. And the real anti-American sentiment is coming from the small-minded Trump supporters.
^^ Bravo, well said.^^

Old 11-07-2016, 10:51 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:

^Excellent Post.
(I tried to Rep you, but it said that I need to spread it around some more first).

1,640 posts, read 794,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Do you actually watch them in action? They have their committees, as of late their select committees to investigate Hillary, and they spend millions of our tax money (paying themselves) on these idiotic investigations that go no where. Mind you, some of them sound like they didn't finish HS either and the most simple crapola needs to be explained over and over. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
What's new? They've done the same thing to Obama. Republicans don't believe in democracy and governing unless they win. They couldn't care less about the will of the people.
And the word "Compromise" has never been in the Obama vocabulary.

He's worse than a 3yo throwing a tantrum if he doesn't get his way.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:01 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:

Too simplistic. It's a much bigger issue/far more complicated than how you frame. For example, the trade imbalances are very unfair to America. There's nothing wrong with outsourcing things but when the system is so far slanted this/that way, it's not right and should be addressed. A nation shouldn't be used. There's nothing wrong with implementing policies to get some manufacturing jobs back in the US because everyone isn't smart enough to work in IT, be doctors, design chips, etc. That's the true reality. And btw, lots of IT jobs that require lots of education are being outsourced/bringing in cheap labor on visas from overseas to replace "the educated" jobs you talk about that people need to get into so again, it's no so simple as you paint it. I know about this ...I worked many areas inhigher end IT positions.

I think there's a middle ground here. And I think trump has some good ideas in cleaning up our trade deals/imbalances and start leveling the playing field. As you know, with money/donors who benefit from our current system, you'll here from them the wonders of how globalism is the begin and end all for everything. And if one believes that, I have ocean front property in iowa for you. For some businesses, sure! It's fantastic to outsource to cheap labor/outside of our nation. For our middle class/many workers, no way. Look at the jobs people are working in these days and the wage gap/shrinking middle class. It's not ending well at all and is very bad for our nation in obvious ways. Once again, there's a middle ground here in all of this. And we are far, far away from that middle ground with our current bought and sold system that cares just about the bottom line of donors, not the people.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:03 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Good. The Goo must do everything they can to stop Clinton from destroying the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections