Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 02:06 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
What reality do you reside in? I know CA well and it's getting downright ugly on so many levels. I won't even go to SF anymore to visit the homelessness matter has gotten so ugly and how the average, even decent income earner, can't afford to live there. Many people are leaving to states like AZ in droves because of this nonsense:
I guess you missed the Census data I posted showing higher poverty rates in places like Arizona, Oklahoma, Kentucky, etc.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:08 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are also far more wealthy people. And a lot more professionals. And a lot more brainpower.
So you think those rich people living in Beverly Hills & San Francisco are going to open up their pocketbooks to feed, cloth, and house 6 million people?

hahahahahahaha

What they will do is wall themselves off from those masses. And if those people are so smart, why are there 6 million people living in dire straits now?

California isn't going anywhere.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I'm typing on a phone. If that's the best you got you fail.
I'm not talking college. I'm talking public high schools. I looked at moving to LA. Schools are terrible. A $400k house gets you a dumpy low income school district and a dumpy house for 10% more pay. Roads are of Mexican quality. Weather is awesome though.
There is more to California than Los Angeles. You know your argument is weak when you have to single out a part of the state when we could just as easily point out schools in Red State America that are far more abysmal than the worst school in Los Angeles or NYC. On the whole, California public schools are better than public schools in, say, Kentucky, and that's a fact.

Quote:
Republicans use opportunity and Dems use handouts to cater to the less fortunate.
And Republicans use tax cuts to cater to the 1%.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So you think those rich people living in Beverly Hills & San Francisco are going to open up their pocketbooks to feed, cloth, and house 6 million people?

hahahahahahaha

What they will do is wall themselves off from those masses.
Just like the wealthy professionals in Manhattan who have walled themselves off from those people.

You may want to remain cloistered in your downscale Orlando exurb. Not everyone is like that.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:19 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
That's not the way just America works. That's the way the world works. You have the best and brightest leaving less developed countries for more developed countries. And you have the best and brightest leaving less advanced states for more advanced states. As much as people rail on about the Liberal Blue States, this is where the intellectual capital of the U.S. is concentrated, and that goes a long way.

No, it's about two different value systems. The cosmopolitan coastal areas value diversity and inclusiveness and want to create a social safety net for our most vulnerable citizens. The inland portions of the country (with some exceptions) see diversity as a threat and want to shred the social safety net for others (while keeping their social security and disability benefits).

And that's fine. We have different views. That's why it's probably best to go separate ways.
No, it means you put up better candidates, vote in elections, compromise, and make the country a better place.

You don't put up a better safety net. That's why you have homelessness. People are leaving CA because middle class living is getting tougher to pull off. CA's problems lie in lack of compromise. There's no sense in experimenting with an ideal that's bound to fail. Your one party rule has left CA with problems that are difficult to overcome.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:22 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
I guess you missed the Census data I posted showing higher poverty rates in places like Arizona, Oklahoma, Kentucky, etc.
Wrong. You need more recent data:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...a-arizona.html

"Close to one in four Californians and one in five Arizonans and Nevadans are living in poverty, according to a new report by the U.S. Census Bureau."

"It finds California has the highest poverty rate in the U.S. at 23.9 percent followed by Nevada at 20 percent. Arizona has the fourth highest poverty rates among U.S. states with 19 percent of the state's population living below the poverty line."

Nice try though.

Given you appear to live in NY, perhaps you should stick to matters that you might know more about on your side of the coast.

Quote:
On the whole, California public schools are better than public schools in, say, Kentucky, and that's a fact.
Our nations public school system overall in this nation is not good. But if you want to play the stage 3 cancer is better than stage 4 cancer game, more power to you.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:24 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
There is more to California than Los Angeles. You know your argument is weak when you have to single out a part of the state when we could just as easily point out schools in Red State America that are far more abysmal than the worst school in Los Angeles or NYC. On the whole, California public schools are better than public schools in, say, Kentucky, and that's a fact.

And Republicans use tax cuts to cater to the 1%.
Says the man who hates subsidizing poorer states.

Ok so now cut out LA, I'm assuming Bakersfield isn't exactly Ivy League, Oakland..,doubtful.
So what San Fransisco? Mountain View?..never mind I just looked it up, it sucks.

If you just want say rich kids are better students just say so.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Wrong. You need more recent data.
Wrong. You need more recent data, which is the Census' 2015 ACS 1-Year Estimate. Your article is from 2014, which means it is citing 2013 data.

American FactFinder - Results

California - 15.3%
Arizona - 17.4%

Anything else I can help you with? See, the nerds who are regular posters on demographic data in the General and CvC forums know this stuff pretty well.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Says the man who hates subsidizing poorer states.
I hate subsidizing bigots who are in favor of cutting other people's subsidies.

Quote:
Ok so now cut out LA, I'm assuming Bakersfield isn't exactly Ivy League, Oakland..,doubtful.So what San Fransisco? Mountain View?..never mind I just looked it up, it sucks.
And a lot of Arizona sucks. 10.6% of the state's population lives in trailer parks and you're really going to act like it's some paradise? Please.

Quote:
If you just want say rich kids are better students just say so.
New York schools probably outperform Kentucky schools regardless of income level.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:37 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Look at the pettiness here^ lol

Counties are not states. They dont have electoral votes, they dont have congressional representation and they are governed by the states they are located in.

The US constitution sets forth guidelines for secession by states.

On the other hand, The California State Constitution DOES NOT allow counties to secede.

In fact, The State of California could revoke county charters and redraw boundaries.

That means, by state legislative act, the 2 million people in far Northern CA could theoretically be merged into a single county with the Bay Area( Pop 9 million)...( snickers)

Hahaha #FAIL

Furthermore, California could still secede and we could impose huge property taxes on the land owned by the US government, and we could forbid development or logging or mining.

Actually just like how blue states support broke red states, in California, wealthy blue coastal counties support inland counties.

We own their asses.

How bizarre that the people who harp on self sufficiency are the majority of states that would go broke without Uncle Sam.

That's called welfare.

You have a good chance of becoming a science fiction writer...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections