Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 03:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I get it. So it's better to not have any jobs at all. That's a solution of a kind.
No, the solution is to make companies whose executives and major share holders reap the rewards of the security of our social, political and legal systems have to actually own up and pay for them..either by having the labor reside here or paying taxes here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 03:54 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I actually think Governors have a lot of power with that, that's who brings jobs to an area.

Presidents not so much. Too much in the weeds for them.

But that Flint Water Crisis thing was a HUGE "oops"! The magnitude of that screw up negates almost everything else he did IMO.
Rick Scott of Florida very good example. He tried to lure a big bio tech firm (sorry blue collar workers) to Florida. Offered all kinds of deals. Did not happen? Why? They said the TALENT for a staff was not here, and the NE employees where they were did not want to relocate. End of story.

If a Governor couldn't lure jobs, a President will? By Executive Order?

Old 11-09-2016, 04:06 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well thought post, although my response to 1 and 2 is always "how can the alternative be worse"? And I still ask that question...I don't think trying it for 4 years is that dangerous a prospect if it is phased in gradually, and phased out if the results aren't good. I think a small rise in the price of consumer goods offset by a few million more people working isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think most people would prefer a job over an extra $300 television. We are still the biggest concentrated consumer market in the world....if China thinks they can make up for the loss of 400 million relatively well off customers, let's see them do it. The gloom and doom from free traders ..who stand to lose something in their portfolios...never seems to ring true.
Thinking more, dman72 ... I personally would be willing to pay *some* higher prices to buy-American. But how much more? Most of the consumers paying the extra $300 for TV sets already have jobs and may not fear their employment is at risk.

About 4 years ago preparing to buy a new HVAC got I quotes for both a Carrier (then US manufactured) and M?? (made in Mexico). The Carrier was $6100; the M was about $4500. I liked the Carrier contractor better and considered the purchase but in the end probably would have gone for price. (Didn't have to choose; the old HVAC kept functioning.)

US consumers tend to be more price conscious and less quality oriented (if only because they purchase relatively more goods). German consumers are very different - and that tendency or cultural characteristic is one reason that Germany has fared comparatively better here than the US. Their consumers *are* willing to pay high prices for German-manufactured products.

The other concern I have is that Trump talks as if trade decisions are like an off-on toggle where he can present a demand and threaten not to play if it's not met. He talks like he's negotiating for a price with a contractor and can easily go elsewhere. Trade Agreements are an intricate web, often multi-national in character and address a multiplicity of industries, issues. Think NAFTA took something like 10 years to finalize. But NAFTA isn't the issue, it's really what happened with China. Even though that barn door has been left open for too long, the impact of China will continue to be felt. My understanding is that one of the big goals of the TPP was to CONTAIN China by working with our Pacific Rim neighbors.

The TPP is no longer the issue - it won't happen. But China has joined the WTO - that's not reversible. We have to meet our obligations under the WTO or if not open ourselves to sanctions by the other WTO members. Trump's response? I've heard him threaten to withdraw the US from the WTO - which would almost certainly lead to severe, severe recession.

Congress would, of course, move to prevent this - although it *may* be possible for a President to withdraw from the WTO by executive order.

I have to admit that it is this about Trump that scares me. That he might get so caught up in pleasing his base, winning the argument/negotiation (self-image), and feuding with Paul Ryan that he goes off and does something really destructive. Inadvertently does it, yes - but done nonetheless. Some of the conversations I've been having today is to focus on WHO Trump might listen to.

Last edited by EveryLady; 11-09-2016 at 04:26 PM..

Old 11-09-2016, 04:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That is where the ideologically driven media comes in. The same "boot strap" Republicans from 4 and 8 years ago are all of a sudden worried about working class white people in Ohio..because that's the narrative talk radio and fox news started selling after Romney's "let them eat cake" message didn't resonate...and the Democrats lack of caring for those people gave them an opening.
The traditional Democratic position has always been to use Government to mitigate some of the impact of capitalism. Trade Adjustment Assistance was one programmatic response to job loss due to imports. It provided funds for retraining which is positive for those able to benefit. But through no fault of their own, at some point it is simply unrealistic to expect older workers to be able to fully function within a workplace dramatically different than what they first encountered. Relocation away from communities that do provide a degree of financial, social, emotional support is another barrier.

But you're right - no one really cared that much about the impact on individuals. The focus was always on the macro economic picture, Defense considerations, diplomatic objectives.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:28 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Yes, that's what I always say: let the unskilled labor jobs, like assembly line workers and coal miners, go to China. Who needs those dangerous, low-paying jobs? Let us train and educate our workers to take the skilled trade and high-tech jobs of the future.
But if things are going so well in Michigan, why did half your voters go for Trump?
Hmm, well because those skilled labor/trade jobs generally one gets into by starting at the unskilled, lower paying jobs. Here in California, a lot of those jobs are going to illegal immigrants but then there's also not really currently a shortage of jobs for Americans to get for construction labor type jobs. You can find those jobs even though most employers do prefer illegal immigrants as they're a larger pool of decent workers and because so many crews don't speak English and having someone who can't speak Spanish won't work for that crew.

Michigan problem is a little different. I don't know that Michigan really has a sizable illegal immigrant population taking 'Merican jobs. Its problem is that construction jobs are very rare in an area with shrinking population and that the manufacturing jobs are being automated and going to Mexico and the South rather than Michigan.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:52 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
For a start he cares. From a national level, the blue collar middle American was blown off.
Dropping our ridiculously high corporate taxes will help everywhere. Renegotiating trade deals will definatley help factory jobs. At least he's trying and I have much respect for that. Who knew the blue collar rural American would pit their faith in a New York billionaire to get their voice heard?
Hope and change? Hmmm, now where have I heard that before?

Old 11-09-2016, 04:55 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Yes, that's what I always say: let the unskilled labor jobs, like assembly line workers and coal miners, go to China. Who needs those dangerous, low-paying jobs? Let us train and educate our workers to take the skilled trade and high-tech jobs of the future.
But if things are going so well in Michigan, why did half your voters go for Trump?
You're not too bright are you? Workers in the coal industry that don't have a stereotypical college degree make a very good wage. Better than a lot of people with degrees.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:24 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You're not too bright are you? Workers in the coal industry that don't have a stereotypical college degree make a very good wage. Better than a lot of people with degrees.
I think your sarcasm meter is broken.

At least I thought he was being sarcastic.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:57 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
OK FOLKS...

it is about 4 months later, any sight of a JOBS PLAN....

you remember , jobs plan? a jobs plan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0mQeLWCCo

Old 03-31-2017, 05:03 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Trump's plan?
1. Continue to make big vague promises that can't be delivered.
2. Hold rallies every other week.
3. Blame the Democrats.
4. Blame the Republicans.
5. Blame Hillary.
5a.Blame the Chinese
5b.Blame the Muslims
6. Blame Santa Claus.
7. Go golfing at Mar-a-Lago.
8. Go golfing in Scotland when it's too hot in Florida to golf.
9. Tweet non-stop every night of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections