Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
There are plenty. They want the Democrats because they were told they'd get everything they've been promised.

Ben Franklin warned us that if we ever learned we could vote ourselves the treasury, the Republic would end. Here we are.

Oh..Don't be so negative. Those people aren't even registered to vote and if they are, at least half of them must be leary of promises candidates make just to get elected and then they turn around and do a 180! Ron Paul is the only TRUE BLUE candidate who that has a chance of being elected that not only talks the talk but MORE IMPORTANTLY walks the walk. He's proven it the 10 years he's been in Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Oh..Don't be so negative. Those people aren't even registered to vote and if they are, at least half of them must be leary of promises candidates make just to get elected and then they turn around and do a 180! Ron Paul is the only TRUE BLUE candidate who that has a chance of being elected that not only talks the talk but MORE IMPORTANTLY walks the walk. He's proven it the 10 years he's been in Congress.
10 terms. 20 years.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I agree Paperhouse, I personally don't think "isolationist" is such a bad word about now. What's that saying about "getting our own house in order first"? We definitely need to get our own country in order again. I just wish so many people weren't so apathetic. At least the posters here on this forum have opinions and reactions and passion about what's going on, for better or for worse and regardless of which they "lean", they care. I know far too many people who seem content to be just floating around in an oblivious fog, their main concern being what time "Survivor" comes on and what's going on with Britney Spears. That scares me!
It wouldn't be isolationist any more than any other developed country is isolationist. It just wouldn't be nation building or acting like Santa Claus and acting like or encouraging other countries to come to us for handouts that never have to get repaid.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be isolationist any more than any other developed country is isolationist. It just wouldn't be nation building or acting like Santa Claus and acting like or encouraging other countries to come to us for handouts that never have to get repaid.
None of the candidates aside from Ron Paul is willing to take an honest look at what we're doing. One minute, Hillary is beaming about NAFTA, the next she's saying Barack has mischaracterized her enthusiasm. Obama has offered legislation that would force the US to pay the UN $845billion over the next 13 years. McCain, well, he's old. He remembers when moon pies were a nickel and you could get a tank of gas for $3. And war. I almost forgot about war.

We need to take care of us, but more social programs isn't the answer. We need to make the government work for our money. New infrastructure, new incentives for job growth, new incentives for fuels. No subsidies.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Yes I know the war is not in the budget. It's equivalent to the American people having a giant credit card debt with a bad interest rate. You know the first thing they tell you when you are trying to get out of debt? Stop using your credit cards and pay that debt off first.

The Iraq War is like having a teenager with unlimited American Express card. Some adult needs to take that card away and start being sensible about where our money goes.
Given that you know this, how can you not be laughing hysterically when Obama says he is "going to use the money from stopping the War in Iraq"? Isn't that like code for "I'm going to borrow from the Chinese"?

He's going to be just another politician: Big on promises, low on results. Where is the Change in that?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 766 times
Default More of the SAME, Vote John McCain!

I can’t see why anyone would vote for Obama. George Bush and the
Republican party have done a great job over the past 8 years. Fewer regulations, fewer taxes, more profits, etc..We're all BETTER OFF than when Bill Clinton left office. Even John McCain, who is known for being a straight talker, says so!

“Americans overall are better off because we have had a pretty good prosperous time, with low unemployment and low inflation, and a lot of good things have happened,” McCain said in a Jan. 30 debate of Republican
candidates at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California.

More of the SAME! Vote John McCain 2008!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:23 PM

571 posts, read 852,993 times
WILD U OWN!

Republicans your a joke YOUR VOTING FOR ANOTHER BUSH!!

Paris Hilton could have probley ran the country better than Bush for crying out loud ANYTHING BUT ANOTHER BUSH. I RATHER TAKE A LARGE RISK OF A LARGE NUCLEAR WAR. THEN HAVE ANOTHER BUSH PRESIDENT. Obama is better leader then bush will ever be. same with Al Gore and most of the Congress.

BUSH WAS AWFUL!!!!! DO I HAVE TO REMIND YOU PEOPLE HOW CRAPPY HE WAS. DO I REALLY!!!!

IF YOU PEOPLE KEEP ASKING FOR ANOTHER BUSH IL SHOW YOU VIDEOS HOW CRAPPY HE IS!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildoaklane0 View Post
I can’t see why anyone would vote for Obama. George Bush and the
Republican party have done a great job over the past 8 years. Fewer regulations, fewer taxes, more profits, etc..We're all BETTER OFF than when Bill Clinton left office. Even John McCain, who is known for being a straight talker, says so!

“Americans overall are better off because we have had a pretty good prosperous time, with low unemployment and low inflation, and a lot of good things have happened,” McCain said in a Jan. 30 debate of Republican
candidates at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California.

More of the SAME! Vote John McCain 2008!
The above has got to be outright sarcasm!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
As far as healthcare goes, I don't hear ANY of the candidates discussing the real problem which is the COST of health care. They keep talking about ways to cover those that are uninsured. I want to know why it costs so dang much to begin with? It wouldn't have anything to do with GREED within the health and pharmaceutical industries would it? Why in the world does it cost thousands and thousands of dollars just to go in the hospital and have a normal baby delivery for instance? Why is a Tylenol $20.00 per tablet on your hospital bill? Why do CEO's over healthcare companies and health insurance companies have to be paid mind blowingly large salaries, bonuses, and severance pay?

One of the reasons I cannot support Hillary is because she has received more contributions from the healthcare industry than ANY other candidate. I suspect THAT is the reason for her plan for MANDATED health insurance coverage, rather than the Government subsidized universal health care she supported during her husband's Presidency. Insure more people, yes, ask health care profiteers to take a little less cream off the top? Oh no, we wouldn't want to ask them to do that.
Ready for healthcare costs to explode? Here come the boomers. Increased life expectancy means more time being incapacitated costing big bucks in nursing homes.

Everyone forgets what comes with any type of health care, including universal health.....rationing. Right now, some of those middle class and better earners put money in trusts to become poor on paper and have medicaid pick up the tab for nursing homes.
What happens when everyone is eligible for nursing homes? Where are you going to put them? How can we afford to pay for it? Can you say euthinasia? No more cancer treatments, heart surgery for people over a certain age. Maybe let the preemie babies just die?

What will universal health care cost? What percentage of your income will it be? Will it be from the 1st dollar earned? Should non tax payers even be eligible to participate?

Obama's plan giving everyone gov't style benefits is pretty generous, but costly. What will be the penalty for those who don't join? Won't we be subsidizing the very same insurance companies that the left demonizes?

LOTS of questions, very little, and contradictory answers out there.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
I BEG your PARDON RON PAUL is still VERY MUCH still in the race.

Don't count him out just because the Media is ignoring him. The SMART VOTERS who don't mind doing a little research on the internet know his philosophy of strictly following the Constitution is what this country needs!

He's PROVEN he can raise more money than McCain and if he can do as well as he's done with little if any media attention, he's certainly a viable candidate.
I'm not so sure, I'd say he's definitely a long shot given his poor performance in the primaries.

Oh, wait I didn't realize the was from four years ago, looked so much like recent posts I got confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections