Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 12:55 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

I remember posts saying the GOP needed to embrace gay marriage in order to ever win again. Meanwhile, the supreme court ruled in favor of same sex marriage nationwide. Suddenly, this became a non-issue, which may have actually HELPED the Republicans with those who were on the fence because of gay marriage. There was no way the ruling would be reversed, so that became a non-issue with voting.

I always thought gay marriage being the deciding factor for voting for someone to be dumb, but the ruling may have actually helped Republicans in the end. If it wasn't legal in every state in 2016, it would have been a big attack the liberals used against electing a GOP president.

Ironic huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 01:38 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I agree, 100% with this analysis. With the Supreme Court's ruling, same sex marriage became a non-issue for swing voters who may have otherwise shunned the GOP due to its stance on this issue.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:43 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I remember posts saying the GOP needed to embrace gay marriage in order to ever win again. Meanwhile, the supreme court ruled in favor of same sex marriage nationwide. Suddenly, this became a non-issue, which may have actually HELPED the Republicans with those who were on the fence because of gay marriage. There was no way the ruling would be reversed, so that became a non-issue with voting.

I always thought gay marriage being the deciding factor for voting for someone to be dumb, but the ruling may have actually helped Republicans in the end. If it wasn't legal in every state in 2016, it would have been a big attack the liberals used against electing a GOP president.

Ironic huh?
The only way that argument works is if you believe those people flat out stayed home. And even then, it is still a spotty theory at best.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:56 AM

8,607 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The only way that argument works is if you believe those people flat out stayed home. And even then, it is still a spotty theory at best.
They didn't all stay home and they didn't all vote for Hillary. My ex-partner and his husband (came here from Mexico) both voted for Trump. The tipping point for them voting for Trump had to do jobs and healthcare, not anything related to gay-marriage.

At the end of the day, Americans just need to suck it up and work together. Society has trained its children to believe that everyone needs to win and there should be no losers and that is just not reality. We do not always get what we want or expect. Now, people are up in arms and in panic mode because they do not know how to relate to losing.

I also believe there should be more focus on highlighting individual merits rather than boxing people into generalized labels and groups because at the end of the day, people are still individuals. I came out of the closet back in '91 and didn't have the support that many gay people have now. Yet, I was able to cultivate relationships with people who I may not have had much in common with. This is not because I forced my beliefs on others or lived my life through a manufactured stereotype, but because we were able to educate each other and have constructive dialog that forged great bonds and built respect.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:03 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Hillary Clinton was never any friend to Gays & Lesbians. She supported DOMA, Don't Ask Don't Tell, and clearly stated, when she was running for US Senator that she was against Gay marriage.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:07 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hillary Clinton was never any friend to Gays & Lesbians. She supported DOMA, Don't Ask Don't Tell, and clearly stated, when she was running for US Senator that she was against Gay marriage.
Correct!! Hillary wanting to bring thousands of Muslims into our country validates that fact because the Muslim religion dictates that being homosexual is a sin and is a death sentence.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:47 AM

8,607 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
She was definitely a flip-flopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections