Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 06:15 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

Advertisements

The last sentence of her Op-ed in the WP is interesting, coming from a Democrat. Certainly not the slicing, dicing, and pitting of American against American that the Democrat Party so crassly employs.

Quote:
One of the biggest challenges we face as a country, not just as a party, is how to make our diversity a strength, not a weakness. We have to come together as Americans first and foremost. After this campaign, that is no easy feat.
Chuck the hyphenation and splitting of Americans. I for one do not consciously think about my English and German heritage. My South African neighbor thinks of herself as American first, not African, certainly not AA. My American neighbor who immigrated from Iran knows she is an American citizen, who just happens to have started her life in Iran. My German by birth neighbor is American to the core. My indian neighbors are making a home here and while missing some things about home, are home again.

Early in her Op-ed, Congresswoman Dingell skewers the Clinton campaign for their hubris, in believing they owned her Congressional District.

Quote:
Much of the district is Democratic and those voters strongly supported Bernie Sanders in the primary. That result didn’t surprise me, but it did infuriate me that Clinton and her team didn’t show up until the weekend before the primary, when it suddenly became clear they had a problem. I took Bill Clinton grocery shopping that Saturday — too little, way too late. They never stopped on a campus; never went to a union hall; never talked to the Arab American community. Sanders was in my district 10 times during the primary. How would any sane person not predict how this one would go? It was fixable for the general election.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...6d4_story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 06:27 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Not bad for a Democrat... I have to keep her on the radar.

This is it right here.

The ordinary working man or woman in this country isn’t asking for a lot. They want to make a decent living. They want to be able to provide for their family, buy a home in a safe neighborhood, put food on the table, go the doctor when they need to, afford their medicines and educate their children. What many don’t understand is how these things are in danger of becoming unattainable for too many Americans.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:32 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Yes, I agree she is interesting, at least in this op-ed. She is a 'legacy' Congresswoman. Her husband, John Dinged, finally retired after what seems like a gazillion terms. He may be fossilized now. Has been a very safe Dem seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not bad for a Democrat... I have to keep her on the radar.

This is it right here.

The ordinary working man or woman in this country isn’t asking for a lot. They want to make a decent living. They want to be able to provide for their family, buy a home in a safe neighborhood, put food on the table, go the doctor when they need to, afford their medicines and educate their children. What many don’t understand is how these things are in danger of becoming unattainable for too many Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections