Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 07:05 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times

Advertisements

The five stages of grief include denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance as part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with the one we lost.

I don't know about bargaining or acceptance, but we're sure seeing a lot of anger. I watched the talking heads on cable this morning and none seemed capable of rationally dealing with the election results yet. CNN is just ridiculous and actually had a segment with the title How to Cope with Post-Election Depression. They haven't posted it yet so I can't link to it, and if more sober heads go over it again they won't.

But as a public service to grieving Democrats here are a couple articles that might help.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...hock-and-panic

The gist of the article is:

1. Do something productive.
2. Plan a trip to a National Park this weekend.
3. Don't make it worse by stress eating
4. Reach out to vulnerable others with supportive messages
5. Pay attention to which forms of debriefing with others help you and what doesn't

I don't know what debriefing means in this context, but I didn't write the article.

And one more - Do you have postelection depression? | KSL.com with lots more tips for the grief-stricken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 07:20 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times
Yawn.

I have nothing to worry about. I have alternatives and I don't have to worry about my descendants' future. Am I annoyed with the results? Sure, Depressed? hardly. I was smart enough to figure out that Both Clinton and Trump worked for Wall Street. The difference is that republicans are far more corrupt and will never pass policies that help average Americans. It is amazing to see how easily Americans vote against their own interests.

The only thing that is gonna go down the drain is your children and grandchildren's future. It was gonna go down the drain anyway if Hillary was elected but with Trump is gonna down at a much faster rate.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Yawn.

I have nothing to worry about. I have alternatives and I don't have to worry about my descendants' future. Am I annoyed with the results? Sure, Depressed? hardly. I was smart enough to figure out that Both Clinton and Trump worked for Wall Street. The difference is that republicans are far more corrupt and will never pass policies that help average Americans. It is amazing to see how easily Americans vote against their own interests.

The only thing that is gonna go down the drain is your children and grandchildren's future. It was gonna go down the drain anyway if Hillary was elected but with Trump is gonna down at a much faster rate.
Thank you for the common sense post. I wasn't happy with Obama winning either time. I moved on.
I for sure wasn't happy with our choices this time. I did a write in vote instead of choosing a lose lose option.
Trump has won. What we can expect I don't know. Are republicans more corrupt? After what the DNC has pulled this time I have my doubts. The democrats haven't been especially helpful to average Americans. The ACA has hurt us far more than it has helped us. NAFTA devastated American industry. Bringing in Syrian refugees that haven't been properly vetted? They didn't move them in to the rich folks neighborhoods. Illegal immigration has devastated the construction trades.
Although I disagree with you that the GOP is more harmful than the Democrats your post is reasonable.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:43 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Quote:
Yawn.

A perfect example of a positive attitude of someone wanting to ensure we unify our country and work together.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:46 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times
Quote:
Yawn.

You have any proof of that other than your Ouija board ?

Old 11-11-2016, 11:37 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,650 times
Why are so many people in the losing camp so fragile? I've seen and voted in many elections, and I've never seen anything quite like this. Is it because we know everybody's business these days and everybody just SEEMS more desperate, or is something else going on?

Old 11-11-2016, 11:40 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,638,621 times
Please just don't get a therapy dog. That's animal abuse.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Why are so many people in the losing camp so fragile? I've seen and voted in many elections, and I've never seen anything quite like this. Is it because we know everybody's business these days and everybody just SEEMS more desperate, or is something else going on?
For most it is how they were raised (not excusing them by any means); they still carry their 2-year old "MINE!, MINE!, MINE!!" attitude that was not corrected by those who coddled and babied them, and still do. They are taught in school there are no losers, everyone gets a trophy. They were given a great disservice and now that they lost the election, they have no emotional maturity or emotional intelligence to fall back on as to how to deal with it and move on.

Every moment of their lives there was someone who made sure they were being entertained; they didn't have to have a mind of their own. They are completely lost.

They are wanting someone to 'fix it' and make it all better; that is what they're used to.

So it's 2-year old temper tantrum time for them.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:20 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,650 times
That explains the youngers ones. But many of the older ones, MSM for example, are not much better off. They don't even try to hide it. Or maybe they can't.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
6. Follow Cher to Jupiter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections