Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:36 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Well where I live, there is a big difference between those that are protesting and those that are causing violence. Also, just because that might be the message for some, it doesn't mean it is the message for all. The protest I was a part of yesterday involved no violence and didn't even require having police involved in it.

Also, I will state this again, protesting isn't a waste of time unless you are one who doesn't support freedom. Our country was founded on protest, so to say protesting is a waste of time is like saying the formation of this country was pointless.

As for the booing that Pence received at Hamilton, that was from the audience, not the cast. Which there is nothing wrong with people choosing to boo someone they don't like. I hear boos all the time when I go to basketball games where plays or players people don't like take it upon themselves to boo. If booing bothers someone, then that person might be a special snowflake in need of a safe place.
Yes, I think protesting for the most part is a waste of time in circumstances like this based on what I stated earlier....the most effective "protest" is at the ballot box. That speaks the loudest in our form of government. The election is over and the country spoke loud in clear who they want running the nation from congress to the presidency. It's too late to protest about it and to early to protest for that matter as this group isn't even in power yet so what in the world are you protesting about anyways? Most open minded people will think "let's give them a chance" before whining/protesting. But yes, you or anyone else has every right to do so as long as it's not violent/doesn't break the law. Go for it if it makes you/others feel good. I'm sure for many it gives them the illusion of power, the illusion of control. Therapy in a sense.

Yes, people boo, swear, hiss, etc. at people they don't agree with and once again they have that right to do that. If it's legal, more power to them. If it's illegal, then they must pay the price if they get caught for breaking the law. But I think you missed once again my point.....it's not "snowflake", me being offended, someone else being offended by booing or whatever, etc. It's all about this point and I'll put it on a line all by itself to stand out with asterisks......

**While someone/some in a group are certainly free to boo, yell, hiss, etc. at someone, I believe it is counterproductive to the goal at hand to act in such a manner if the goal is to persuade another/others to see another view point. Booing from the audience which some did in this situation is counterproductive to the task at hand. **

Mike Pence went to see 'Hamilton' and got booed - Business Insider

So once again, yes, they can boo all they want and more. It doesn't get me bent out of shape/I personally don't care regardless if I agree or don't agree with them. It's just not a smart approach if the goal is to convince another to see a view on the other side. It puts the other person/side on the defensive and they tune out. It's a failed approach out of the gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 01:03 AM

979 posts, read 490,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yes, I think protesting for the most part is a waste of time in circumstances like this based on what I stated earlier....the most effective "protest" is at the ballot box. That speaks the loudest in our form of government. The election is over and the country spoke loud in clear who they want running the nation from congress to the presidency. It's too late to protest about it and to early to protest for that matter as this group isn't even in power yet so what in the world are you protesting about anyways? Most open minded people will think "let's give them a chance" before whining/protesting. But yes, you or anyone else has every right to do so as long as it's not violent/doesn't break the law. Go for it if it makes you/others feel good. I'm sure for many it gives them the illusion of power, the illusion of control. Therapy in a sense.

Yes, people boo, swear, hiss, etc. at people they don't agree with and once again they have that right to do that. If it's legal, more power to them. If it's illegal, then they must pay the price if they get caught for breaking the law. But I think you missed once again my point.....it's not "snowflake", me being offended, someone else being offended by booing or whatever, etc. It's all about this point and I'll put it on a line all by itself to stand out with asterisks......

**While someone/some in a group are certainly free to boo, yell, hiss, etc. at someone, I believe it is counterproductive to the goal at hand to act in such a manner if the goal is to persuade another/others to see another view point. Booing from the audience which some did in this situation is counterproductive to the task at hand. **

Mike Pence went to see 'Hamilton' and got booed - Business Insider

So once again, yes, they can boo all they want and more. It doesn't get me bent out of shape/I personally don't care regardless if I agree or don't agree with them. It's just not a smart approach if the goal is to convince another to see a view on the other side. It puts the other person/side on the defensive and they tune out. It's a failed approach out of the gate.
What makes you think that is the goal? That does explain the difference in opinion on this that we are having. Protesting or voicing one's opinion isn't always about trying to change the minds of other people. Sometimes it is to rally those that are like-minded.

When founding Americans protest against the British, there were still people in the US that supported the British. They weren't protesting to try to change their minds, they were protesting to rally those that already agreed with them.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:13 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It's amazing how you're all deliberately misunderstanding what is happening here. The good person in the white hat was supposed to win, the person with the most experience, the most to offer. Instead, the guy in the black hat won - the one who pulled out every dirty, disgusting trick in the book to insinuate his slimy way into office like the snake that he is. And we're just supposed to smile and nod a lot? No. Not happening. Not ever. He has already made questionable decisions. I'm not standing here with a loving heart and open arms. I'm standing here with crossed arms and a scowl on my face, thinking, "What next? What is this lying sack of crap going to do next?"

Please spare me the wearying descriptions of Hillary Clinton as the worst person on Earth, etc. It's tiresome. And there's no point. I will never agree that Trump will make a better president.
I'll care as much about your dislike for Trump as liberals cared about my dislike for Obama.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 AM

2,651 posts, read 1,373,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
Lol, I think you nailed it.
Liberals and especially people on the far left want open borders where illegals sponge off our benefits while legal citizens take a back seat. They want to take in every refugee regardless if they have terrorist ties. If you don't support this then you are a racist.
Trump supporters were labeled alt-right but I could just as well label Bernie Sanders supporters and some Clinton supporters alt-left. They're soft on terrorism, soft on crime, but strict on guns. Sure, restrict gun access for law-abiding citizens but give terrorists, illegals, rapists, and murderers more rights because they came from bad backgrounds, wah wah.
The really funny but sad part is they called us deplorables while they wallow in their sorrow because they lost the election and show their anger by marching and rioting.
This reflects one of the most misinformed understandings of liberal beliefs that I have ever ran across

Old 11-21-2016, 01:15 AM

979 posts, read 490,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I'll care as much about your dislike for Trump as liberals cared about my dislike for Obama.
Did that make you dislike Obama less? Did that make you want to just give Obama a chance? So you can see why it is funny for Trump supporters to expect liberals to not hate Trump, and to give him a chance.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:27 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I take it you didn't exist when Obama was elected with people rioting in the streets holding signs of nooses up calling for him to be executed or sent back to Kenya did you?

My how short a memory you people have.
I existed but yes, I did miss those massive, organized, on-going, coast-to-coast protests with many thousands of people marching down streets, shutting down freeways, closing off bridges, laying down in the street and highways to block traffic, blocking essential emergency services such as ambulances, destroying police vehicles. setting countless fires, breaking windows, flag burning, etc. Nor was there a petition to overturn the Electoral votes and electors were not being bombarbed via email and telephone with nasty messages to change their votes nor were they receiving death threats. I was aware of isolated, short-lived instances of protests, such as the one in the video below, and of disgruntled people spouting off here and there and of a few attacks upon individuals but I missed the massive, on-going rioting that resulted in many millions of dollars of property damage and cost cities many millions as police forces were mobilized to contain the damage. There just isn't an equivalent urge for large scale political violence nor is there large scale support for it from the conservative community as there is from the liberal community. Noteworthy in the video below, which is about a protest involving students on the Old Miss campus, is the advice from one of the announcers telling people you'll just "have to tolerate the [black] man in the White House"---something liberals apparently have no intention of doing this time around for the white man slated to take the Oval Office in January.

If the anarchists now organizing to "disrupt the inauguration" (their exact words) on Jan. 20 are successful there will be a confrontation on that day the likes of which may have never before been seen in American history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nKkzQgwAbM

Last edited by Seagrape Grove; 11-21-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-21-2016, 09:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Just leave it as "Trump loves hate!" and leave it at that!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Love is better than Hate it what that meant, although it is a play on words because Trump is his last name. Get it?
It was a terrible slogan because it really wasn't clear who was using it. When I first saw it I assumed it was a Trump slogan based on what I learned about diagraming sentences back in grade school; after all, the verb (in this case a a homonym) primarily relates back to the subject noun, right?

Old 11-21-2016, 10:01 AM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Guess you aren't understanding it, I was at a protest yesterday and there was lots of love among the protesters. Maybe you should actually turn the tv off and see first hand what "love trumps hate" really means.
From what I've seen of Liberals, the phrase 'love trumps hate' means you should form gangs of young black men and attack older white men (gang against white man) that may have voted for Trump and shoot cops.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
What makes you think that is the goal? That does explain the difference in opinion on this that we are having. Protesting or voicing one's opinion isn't always about trying to change the minds of other people. Sometimes it is to rally those that are like-minded.

When founding Americans protest against the British, there were still people in the US that supported the British. They weren't protesting to try to change their minds, they were protesting to rally those that already agreed with them.
My assumption. And you are correct, it might not be their goal, it just might be an accusing/one way preach is the goal before one even takes control over power and they are prejudging.

And as I stated before, such methods are usually ineffective and often counter productive. A give and take dialogue is the mature/effective way to approach such a topic but hey, if it's just to spout off/get rid of some steam, more power to them, they have that right. And as the OP brought up/the topic of this thread, and if the goal of this was a preach and go in another way that the left seems to frame themselves, I think such people need to read this:

Dear liberals: Start practicing the empathy you preach | New York Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections