Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Clinton's Popular Vote Victory Reduce Trump's Mandate?
YES. Trump's vote count is too low to be a mandate for sweeping change. 70 27.89%
NO. Trump won, and that's reason enough for a mandate for sweeping change. 125 49.80%
DOESN'T MATTER. The mandate concept is too vague to mean anything. 56 22.31%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:23 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Ohh so which Clinton staff got arrested?

On the other hand Trump staff/supporters were regularly arrested for election fraud...
Looks like the trump supporters excel in stuffing ballots!

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...-fraud?0p19G=c

A Texas man arrested on suspicion of voting fraud said he worked for Trump and was testing the system - LA Times
I don't think "regularly" means what you think it means.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:29 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It was not a landslide. Republicans already held the house and senate, it's much easier to keep them than to gain a majority that was was held by the other party. I understand that you want to make this sound like some kind of amazing, miraculous gigantic win but it just wasn't. I fully acknowledge that he won, but he did not win in a landslide
The other poster you addressed is more correct than you think. I also see what you are saying, but you are basing your view too much on the concept of this being a coattail landslide because of Trump.
In reality, the Democrats started down this path of election defeats when they forced Obamacare on the American public, the majority of which didn't need or want it.
This was done in a totally partisan way, not allowing Republicans any say, and changing the rules to stifle them.
Heck at one point Republicans were literally locked out of the discussion that was going on behind closed doors.
So many a moderate Democrat went along with the liberals, and lost their House seat. Then just a few short years later, they also lost the Senate to where most of the remaining Democrats no longer represented the moderate (D) voters, but only the leftist wing of the party.
The same leaders of Obama/Pelosi/Reid continued to push the leftist agenda, instead of responding to what their base constituents wanted.

The bottom line is that collectively the Democratic party has not had such a weak political position on both the state and federal level since the 1930's. With the reelection of Pelosi as the minority speaker, and likely election of the DNC by that black Muslim racist in Ellison, it doesn't look good for the (D's) future.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Hey, it's been a while since I've done an update! This will probably be the last one.

Clinton's popular vote victory exceeds 2.8 million votes !!!

Popular vote count Dec. 14 1400 PST

Clinton.... 65,790,019... 48.2%
Trump...... 62,951,513... 46.1%

Clinton lead = 2,838,506 [2.1%] (source: Cook Political Report)
I guess we should also update the numbers that ultimately matter.

2016 POTUS Electoral College Vote count

Donald Trump - 306
Hillary Clinton - 232

Donald Trump's lead is 74 Electoral Votes.

Congratulations President Elect Trump.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:52 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I guess we should also update the numbers that ultimately matter.
You're right, here are some more numbers that matter:

House: Democrats gain +6 seats
Senate: Democrats gain +2 seats

Old 12-14-2016, 05:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Hey, it's been a while since I've done an update! This will probably be the last one.

Clinton's popular vote victory exceeds 2.8 million votes !!!

Popular vote count Dec. 14 1400 PST

Clinton.... 65,790,019... 48.2%
Trump...... 62,951,513... 46.1%

Clinton lead = 2,838,506 [2.1%] (source: Cook Political Report)

Quote:

....well I'm glad that at least you did find solace in these very important figures considering that a Republican administration is starting with a controlled Republican Congress and with the chance to change the shape the Supreme Court for a generation to come and the Republican party utterly dominating state governments....

By the way, in 2018 there will be many more vulnerable Democrats senate seats for re-election than GOP ones.

Enjoy!!

.....later we will see how that secessionist movement is going to work for ya.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-14-2016 at 06:01 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
....well I'm glad that at least you did find solace in these very important figures considering that a Republican administration is starting with a controlled Republican Congress and with the chance to change the shape the Supreme Court for a generation to come and the Republican party utterly dominating state governments....
As a member of the loyal opposition, I say congratulations on your party's control of government. For anything and everything that goes wrong in the next four years, we'll know who to blame. We Dems will just shrug and say, "it wasn't us..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
.....later we will see how that secessionist movement is going to work for ya.....
It will fizzle; and besides it's a lot more fun to stick around and be a thorn in Trump's side.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:24 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Hillary beat trump by 8.4 million votes in just 5 states: California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts and Maryland 10 states with the biggest actual votes victory (Hillary Clinton dominates 5 of the top 6!)

Go and read Hellion's crystal clear explanation in Post No. 622 (directly preceding yours), it should clarify things for you once and for all.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:26 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Go and read Hellion's crystal clear explanation in Post No. 622 (directly preceding yours), it should clarify things for you once and for all.
Totally irrelevant. We know how it works. The issue is that it is totally undemocratic and provides the right with a bonus of about 35 votes for no good reason.

There is nothing special about voters in the small states. Same as voters in the large states. Why give them special weight in an election.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:31 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
... The issue is that it is totally undemocratic and provides the right with a bonus of about 35 votes for no good reason.
How silly. No side has claim to any state. Both are equally free to compete for voters in any state they like. It's 100% fair.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:

Which leads us to the final update which really matter.

Republicans lead in the House 241 to Democrats with 194
Republicans lead in the Senate 52 to Democrats with 48

I'm looking forward to a Supreme Court update, I'll let you know when we get something.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections