Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 02:02 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,711,957 times

Advertisements

The first one was Ronald Reagan, who got divorced early in his time and were married with Nancy for almost 30 years before being elected President. It was so many years that most people probably didn't know he was divorced. Yes, during the 240 years of US history, there was only one divorced US president. This is how conservative the US is.

Thump on the other hand has so many controversial issues that nobody pays attention to his marriage history. It is more of a black swam than the trend.

For me it is just weird that US presidents HAVE to have a traditional family life. Even if they don'tm they have to fake one and putting on the smile and hugging their kids, preferally two, a boy and a girl. On the other hand, you see that the French president is living with his third "girlfriend", never married even in his 60s.

Can you imagine an unmarried US president? (don't tell me marriage assures voters this person is mature and responsible)

Liberal America? I don't think so.

Interesting, American did have a unmarried president who was gay (most likely), but it was never out in the open, and that was in the 19th century.

Last edited by botticelli; 11-17-2016 at 02:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 02:48 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,592,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Thump on the other hand has so many controversial issues that nobody pays attention to his marriage history. It is more of a black swam than the trend. ..
Smart Americans don't care about this. They care about
  • Jobs vs Outsourcing
  • Terrorism
  • Unnecessary Wars of Choice
  • Illegal Immigration
  • Inner city crime & lack of opportunity
  • Crooked Politicians supported by the equally crooked MSM which absolutely refuses to address these issues.
This is why Trump won.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:34 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,977,566 times
This forum is turning into a tabloid

Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 AM

24,446 posts, read 17,191,355 times
If you look at the voting map from the election the east and west coast mostly went to Clinton whereas the middle of the country was predominantly red. It is there that people hold on to traditions like marriage and high esteem for the Presidential office but after Bill Clinton turned the oval office into a circus of bimbos some of the respect was lost.
Further erosion was done by Bush and finally Obama who ran the country fast and loose skirting the law when he wanted to.

Hillary was too much for the middle to stomach so Trump got the nod despite his several marriages.

Some call it a break down of tradition or a moral decay while others call it progressive and the future but what is to be expected from a country that sexualizes everything, glorifies drug use and allows criminals to hold and run for high office.

Divorce is not what it used to be.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,281 times
An unmarried President would be a shock in our lifetime. I think we will first have a female, openly gay, maybe even transsexual President before an unmarried one.

I believe Trump was divorced twice, which even in today's society is still considering abnormal and quite high. But one reason why the media did not go with the divorce issue is, it would be hypocritical. "Ladies be strong, divorce your man and be on your own, but Trump is bad because he got 2 divorces." It be really hard and dangerous to run with the divorce issue. Also I swear more and more people are getting divorce and it is becoming normal. I mean is anyone really shocked or surprised when you hear your friend or family member getting a divorce?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,731,035 times
America has always been the most puritan of all first world countries but give it time. The fact that Trump, a known womanizer / twice-divorced person / non-religious to boot, was elected President, proved that America is changing and that Americans care less about social issues than issues related to their wallet. Trump pretty much upended every rule in the book about how to get elected. Whether or not another candidate in the future can get away with all the things that Trump got away with, is another story.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:17 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,982,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Smart Americans don't care about this. They care about
  • Jobs vs Outsourcing
  • Terrorism
  • Unnecessary Wars of Choice
  • Illegal Immigration
  • Inner city crime & lack of opportunity
  • Crooked Politicians supported by the equally crooked MSM which absolutely refuses to address these issues.
This is why Trump won.
This 100%. Nobody Cares. If Trump follows his agenda and follows through with his campaign promises! Then I have no worry nor cares about how many wives he had.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,686,516 times
I don't think divorce is frowned upon like it used to be for several reasons:

1. People living longer, so more time to grow to dislike your spouse.
2. Marriage is not as necessary as it once was when we had more defined male/female roles, so people don't feel it is essential that it be preserved.
3. Most couples go through tough times, so they can understand why people divorce.
4. There are so many opportunities for people to have affairs. More men and women are working together and socializing together than was done in past eras.
5. Marriage is most beneficial when children are young. Once the children have grown, unless the spouses still love each other, there's no benefit to staying married.
Etc.

I think an unmarried president would be very beneficial. No family distractions for the President, so more time to work. Less expense for security and travel. No spouse or children to be hounded by the media. No distractions about extramarital affairs. Etc.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:26 AM

15,066 posts, read 10,083,448 times
Don't care. Divorce is a normal part of our society... like it or not.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:27 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,712,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The first one was Ronald Reagan, who got divorced early in his time and were married with Nancy for almost 30 years before being elected President. It was so many years that most people probably didn't know he was divorced. Yes, during the 240 years of US history, there was only one divorced US president. This is how conservative the US is.

Thump on the other hand has so many controversial issues that nobody pays attention to his marriage history. It is more of a black swam than the trend.

For me it is just weird that US presidents HAVE to have a traditional family life. Even if they don'tm they have to fake one and putting on the smile and hugging their kids, preferally two, a boy and a girl. On the other hand, you see that the French president is living with his third "girlfriend", never married even in his 60s.

Can you imagine an unmarried US president? (don't tell me marriage assures voters this person is mature and responsible)

Liberal America? I don't think so.

Interesting, American did have a unmarried president who was gay (most likely), but it was never out in the open, and that was in the 19th century.
The Netherlands has a single prime minister who often is thought to be gay and frankly nobody even cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections