Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:16 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,149,903 times

Advertisements

FWIW- he came pretty close to winning in a state that Hillary lost by I believe 13 points. That means he seriously out performed the top of the ticket. In 2018 McCaskill will either be up for re-election, retiring or running for Governor. I think Kander would have a decent shot at one of those seats.

But no matter the outcome he would not have the necessary experience in 2 years. Then again our 3 most recently elected Presidents have all come up short in terms of experience and it didn't stop them.

For 2020 we will have to see who emerges from both parties over the next 2 years to begin fundraising & assembling a team in 2019. I have a gut feeling we will not see Trump running for re-election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,575,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Tulsi Gabbard and Sherrod Brown are looking like strong candidates in 2020.

Kander did well in the senate race though. Will likely win next time around.
Excellent choices. In fact, that could be the ticket right there. As a former resident of Hawaii, I've had Gabbard on my radar for years, and I think there's a good chance she's our first woman president. Not sure 2020 is the right year, though. But I can easily see her on the lower half of the ticket, and I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better ticket-topper than Brown at this point. They're exactly the direction the Democrats need to be going right now.

Kander is another comer. He was my dark horse pick in the Senate as far back as late summer. I'm still surprised he didn't beat Blunt, but I agree, he will next time.

But it's way too soon for him to run for president. He's only 35 or 36, though; so there's plenty of time, and his time may very well come.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:20 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,381,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

And most likely will, just as soon as he takes the oath of office, if he doesn't do the right thing the right way. Given his deep love for Putin, President Pence could be the best thing that ever happened to the GOP.
This topic isn't about Trump.

It's about those who might challenge him in 2020 who might bring some new leadership to the Democrat party which has been completely and thoroughly destroyed. So instead of ranting nonsense about Trump impeachment you might want to focus on what the party is going to do to address Trump. Trump just spanked the Democrats in the worst way and unless they can find new leadership, it's gonna happen again.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,451,218 times
White cis-het male? Knows about guns?

LOL, no.

About as likely as Jim Webb having a seat in DNC eyes that matters...as in not very.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:04 PM

26,789 posts, read 15,031,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
For starters, his refusal to turn loose of his business interests.

Those interests pose a conflict to his actions as President. If Trump makes a political decision that directly helps one of his hotels or anything else of his, there's a law that says it is an impeachable offense.

That's why other wealthy Presidents of the past have put everything they have into a blind trust. Trump could still access his wealth at any time, but as a blind trust, he would simply have no direct control over the management.
That does not mean he won't know how his businesses are doing, and it does not mean he has no say in selecting his trustees. He can replace one if necessary or if he wants to.

This is why he's being so cagey about handing it all over right now. He's trying to find some way to squirrel around the law, but it's very direct, clearly written, and simple. Getting around it is impossible without a Constitutional amendment.

If his plans do not meet the legal requirements, then he could face impeachment.

And most likely will, just as soon as he takes the oath of office, if he doesn't do the right thing the right way. Given his deep love for Putin, President Pence could be the best thing that ever happened to the GOP.

Trump has been elected, NOW the Constitution matters to libs- HA!

Old 12-23-2016, 05:12 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,582,672 times
Gabbard/Webb covers the military experience, woman as Presidential candidate, Progressive Democrats, Blue Dog, Veterans, Bibliophiles, Eastern/Western Religions, US Americans with Pacific Heritage, and Republicans.

Or

Gabbard/Kander would work as well.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:10 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,197,953 times
It's 2016, Today's Date is 12-23-2016...... talking about 2020 at this point is absurd !!!!!!! We have not even made it to Jan. 20th, 2017.

Why are people salivating about the unknown to such a degree

Old 12-23-2016, 09:13 PM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
It's 2016, Today's Date is 12-23-2016...... talking about 2020 at this point is absurd !!!!!!! We have not even made it to Jan. 20th, 2017.

Why are people salivating about the unknown to such a degree
We're trying to get Democrats to focus and calm down without drugs.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:40 AM

1,184 posts, read 714,670 times
They will put up Tim Kaine with super delegates and lose again lol

Old 12-24-2016, 05:54 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,493,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Democrat nominee will depend on how quickly Trump is impeached and what kind of POTUS Pence becomes.
or depend on when you wake up to find your hopes for impeachment was merely a wet dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections