Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:03 PM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times

Advertisements

I agree with person who says you need to see how midterms shake out.

The cliff-hanging uber lefties on the coasts won't vote for someone like Manchin during the primaries. They'll sit out the primaries and if he wins, they'll vote for some 3rd party person in the General Election. If you nominate an uber lefty in the primaries, like Warren, you'll lose the General Election. She'll have no clue about jobs and she'll promise to raise taxes.

Unless you have some transgendered black Muslim woman who wants open borders and tax cuts, you got nothing. You played Identity politics for so long that your candidate needs a diverse identity to win plus has to give the middle class something. Promising to raise taxes will have people running for the hills.

Biden will be too old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 03:23 PM

120 posts, read 65,672 times
Kamala Harris?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:38 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,796,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxmanSneaks View Post
Kamala Harris?
She's a good candidate but she's not bold enough. You need someone with a firey speech like Bernie when he says stuff that's actually true and makes sense.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I thought it was so obviously a joke that I didn't need emoticons so you are correct.

The first woman president will be a Republican and the Democrats think so, too. That's why they got a little nervous when Trump nominated Nikki Haley to the UN Ambassador post. They know the former governor will have executive (6 year Governor), legislative (SC House of Representatives) and foreign relations (UN Ambassador) experience should she decide to run for President in the future. And the double whammy for Democrats is she's Indian-American and currently only 45 years old.
I can't see anyone other than a white male winning the GOP nomination

Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,149,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I thought it was so obviously a joke that I didn't need emoticons so you are correct.

The first woman president will be a Republican and the Democrats think so, too. That's why they got a little nervous when Trump nominated Nikki Haley to the UN Ambassador post. They know the former governor will have executive (6 year Governor), legislative (SC House of Representatives) and foreign relations (UN Ambassador) experience should she decide to run for President in the future. And the double whammy for Democrats is she's Indian-American and currently only 45 years old.

She was my governor and I can say without hesitation she was our weakest governor in my lifetime. I'd rather have Jim Hodges or David Beasley who were both pretty freaking weak. I also think Haley's fortune will rise and fall with Trump's. That's the danger of a cabinet appointment.

I think a woman out of the business world or military would be a better bet for Republicans.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,315,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
She was my governor and I can say without hesitation she was our weakest governor in my lifetime. I'd rather have Jim Hodges or David Beasley who were both pretty freaking weak. I also think Haley's fortune will rise and fall with Trump's. That's the danger of a cabinet appointment.

I think a woman out of the business world or military would be a better bet for Republicans.
PLEASE, no more business people!!!!! One is enough!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 AM

120 posts, read 65,672 times
Gavin Newsom?

Old 03-27-2017, 10:02 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,315,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I can't see anyone other than a white male winning the GOP nomination
And probably the same for the Demicratic Party, as well.

Sad, but it's still that way, even today.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM

8,852 posts, read 5,319,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
He's been a much better senator than anyone expected. He's good on the interview shows, smart and doesn't duck the questions. I'd consider voting for him.
What legislation has he put forward that has been helpful to anyone?

Old 03-27-2017, 12:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,373,738 times
Someone who no one other than me is considering...Sheila Jackson Lee.

I know a lot of you are going "what the hell?" but if you sit back and think about it...she ticks most of the modern Democratic party's boxes, and is exactly the kind of candidate they need to challenge Trump in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections