Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:52 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times

Advertisements

Lets just hope Trump does not go out for a steak dinner during his "thank you" tour.. The liberal media will go bananas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 09:29 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
One reason I do not view a Trump presidency with quite the alarm of others is based on things like his 'victory tour'.

Mr. Trump had said, I believe last week, that he so enjoyed holding rallies that he thought he would continue to hold such, even after assuming office (I assume the genesis of the victory tour idea). It is evident that Mr. Trump is very motivated by a desire to be loved and admired. It is also frequently a trait of such people to take slights, real or perceived, very seriously and to resent them. Hence his frequent 'twitter' attacks during the past 15 months or so.

Another glimpse into his personality was an interview he gave some months ago, in which he admitted that he loved the applause of his audience. He said something like "When I'm speaking, if the crowd starts applauding something I say, I run with it".

For me, the interview suggested that at a rally he would spring a proposal; if his audience applauded, he would 'double down' on said proposal, and would then, finding such proposal popular, incorporate it into his subsequent rallies. If he said something that got a lukewarm reception, he would discard it (not that uncommon among politicians, it must be observed).

As such, I imagine that during his actual presidency, he would keep a close eye on popularity polls. If he sees, for instance, that a majority of Americans so polled were against one of his ideas, he will then drop it. Again, not that unusual.

For instance, here was an interesting article I read this morning:

Poll: Most Americans say Donald Trump doesn't have a mandate to complete his agenda - UPI.com

The gist of the article: 6 in 10 Americans polled thought that Mr. Trump should compromise with Democrats on many of his campaign proposals. A small percentage (29 percent) thought that his proposals should be carried out exactly as he promised.

Now, mine is only an opinion, of course. He may, while in office, refuse to look at any polls on how he is doing. He may stay steadfast in the opinions and proposals he made on the campaign trail. His beliefs, which for the past several decades had been less than steady, may have firmed up now that he is out of his youthful 60s.

However, it is my belief that, in order to try to be a 'great' president (which I have consistently claimed he would want to be, even before he got the nomination), he will try to be popular with as large a segment of the population as possible, which would mean softening (to use a mild term) many of his beliefs.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:39 AM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Little bit premature to go on a victory tour. Lets see what he does in four years and then we can talk about a victory tour for the red neck hicks who put him in office.
^^^^What a moronic comment!

Guess what? Many of us who voted for him are NOT "red neck hicks".

Why do you hate "red neck hicks" so much? What did they ever do to you to make you disparage them?

Old 11-18-2016, 09:50 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
No surprise here. Trump was in it for the adoration and he simply cannot get enough of it. Preparing to govern the most powerful country in the world just sounds like too much hard work for him. Why do that when there are crowds waiting to adore him?

This is a preview of his presidency. He will give the actual work to his VP and cabinet so he will be free to roam the country being adored wherever he goes. It's all he ever wanted anyway.

If anyone wants to do a character study of an out of control egomaniac, the next four years will provide the perfect subject.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:53 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I hope he goes to West Virginia when he, as President, removes the barrier that keeps the miners from WV, eastern Kentucky, Ohio, etc., from working instead of having some miner representative go to the White House for a photo op. I'm not sure if it is an executive order or a regulation but I hope it's the first thing he does.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:58 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,532 times
many americans love trump - as he said, he created a movement. People feel connected to him and want to see him - just like they did with Obama back in 2008.

Real leaders are 'of the people' and need to be visible (who do you like to work for? the manager in his office all day or the one on the floor with you?)

Old 11-18-2016, 09:58 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Ego Maniac Tour.

Just gotta see him chowing down on some fried chicken (remember the shoot he did on the plane with the silver service and the Kty Fried Chicken?) with "his" people.

Yuck, to all three.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:08 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Majority View Post
Now you get to call him Mr President....get ready for some changes Jams, the free ride is over. You have had your turn for 8 yrs, now we take the country back to the way it should be run
The free ride? How did I miss that? Somebody should have told me I could have had a free ride, as I've been working since I was 14. Damn.

But I do agree with one thing you've posted--Trump is definitely going to "take the country back." It's where he's taking it back to that has many of us concerned.

Of course, his hoards of uneducated adoring fans lack the capacity to think that far ahead. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:11 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I hope he goes to West Virginia when he, as President, removes the barrier that keeps the miners from WV, eastern Kentucky, Ohio, etc., from working instead of having some miner representative go to the White House for a photo op. I'm not sure if it is an executive order or a regulation but I hope it's the first thing he does.
What barriers might that be? Will Mr. Trump order the Chinese to purchase more coal? Will he order natural gas prices and the price of coal out west to go up?

True, some coal mines in West Virginia have closed, due to an inability to accord with some environmental regulations (many in place before Obama), but many deep coal mines are still open.

Coal's demise threatens Appalachian miners, firms as production moves West

See also:

Trump's Promise to Return Coal Jobs to West Virginia Is Pure Fantasy

Perhaps Mr. Trump will also demand that the occupations of telephone operator come back, or elevator operator, or even the lowly pin-monkey.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:14 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Question? Where in these states he won? Detroit or Dearborn, Michigan? Orlando or Miami, Florida? Philadelphia, Pa.? Bad idea. Small towns in these states?

I suppose Trump is paying for this himself? His own private jet? He isn't President, yet, although he will have to be provided with Secret Service.
He has to be provided with S.S. for the rest of is life. I hope he lives to be 150 y/o don't you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections