Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 12:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,613,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm sure there wouldn't be, but if the election had been a lot closer, we could have had a situation where two people determined the outcome of a national election. Not a good situation.
I can argue either side of the EC question. But I will say that most Americans don't understand the EC, and would be astounded to learn that individuals don't have a constitutional right to vote for president. AFAIK, nothing would prevent a state from ceasing to hold a general election for president and returning to having their legislature appoint electors without direct voter input.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:10 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,223,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Majority View Post
Funny how you didn't complain about the EC until AFTER THE ELECTION and it turns out your candidate LOST. Let me guess, if Hillary would have won, you wouldn't have any issue with the EC. Go crush some more grapes for that fresh batch of WHINE
I have NEVER EVER been a fan of it.

I have to say its nonsense like this post from you (With quite the ironic name by the way), that kind of makes me hope for the worst case scenario. Clinton being elected via the electoral college. Will you whine then? Probably. Look at the people discussing civil war here.

Heres the thing, its the electoral voters RIGHT to do that if they want to. Its within the rules. It would just be a bad thing for our country in some ways. Just like having a president lose the popular vote, and win the election is. If you think otherwise you have some truly amazing blinders on.

And removing the electoral college may not have made any difference in the results of this election, as Trump would have focused on that instead of the swing states. But it would make a huge difference in people accepting the election. It truly would have been the will of the people.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:12 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,900,877 times
Yet another thread by this poster about this topic?

LOL!

Good grief, grow up.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,532,869 times
Thanks for your articulate and constructive contribution to the discussion.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM

That's perfect, except the liberals are offended that all the kids are white. A racist put it together, no doubt.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:19 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,372,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Old Gringo,

You really think the small states are going to ratify an amendment making them irrelevant on the stage of POTUS elections by going to a nat pop vote that runs them over like a freight train ?

Ten states have 15 or more EC votes . 40 states have 14 or less EC votes, and of these 40 34 have 10 or less ( if I counted right while scrolling down) .

I don't see these states giving up their importance at the national level. Nor do I see conservative states giving up a system that favors states rights to go to a national system .
I think there are other ways than an amendment to the constitution to put the electoral college on the scrap heap. And it'll happen no matter how much a few shut-ins in W Virginia and N Dakota want to stop it.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:22 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,532,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I can argue either side of the EC question. But I will say that most Americans don't understand the EC, and would be astounded to learn that individuals don't have a constitutional right to vote for president. AFAIK, nothing would prevent a state from ceasing to hold a general election for president and returning to having their legislature appoint electors without direct voter input.
Good point. I wonder how a discussion about that interesting little bit of information would go.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:29 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,046,878 times
Funny post from 11/8/2016

Thread about the election:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Floridas remaining areas are urban, where the counts made so far show Clinton crushing him.

I suspect Florida will go Clinton, and once that happens its all over except the crying.

DOH

You were right about one thing! The crying goes on... and on... and on!

Old 11-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Funny post from 11/8/2016

Thread about the election:

DOH

You were right! The crying goes on... and on... and on!
Nice find.

I suspect he will cry to the mods claiming it is "off topic" though.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:39 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,223,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Nice find.

I suspect he will cry to the mods claiming it is "off topic" though.
Awww did someones posts get modded because...just like this one, they were designed to do nothing but fight rather then discuss a topic? I dont report things for being off topic generally. I DO report things that are just designed to start fights, etc. And no, even then your nonsense doesn't rise to the reporting level.

Nice find? LOL. Florida was a key state. Trump won it I believe, and just as I indicated once that happened it WAS all over except the crying.

I know, you guys want to make it all about whining instead of having actual discussions. I dont know if that is because you aren't very good at discussions, or if its because as human beings you just aren't good winners, but its truly unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections