Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 02:42 AM

34,248 posts, read 19,254,567 times

Advertisements

Apparently there has been some discussion about the electoral college voting for someone other then what they pledged.

The split electoral and popular win I viewed as a horrible outcome. But today I am reminded of another. Its one that....I will be honest. Trump is a horrible choice. So maybe the damage it would do to our democracy would be worth it. But maybe not.

Yes I am sure people here who cheered "suck it up buttercup" and "He won by the rules" would also feel just as good if.....Trump lost the electoral college because of people switching their votes. It would be within the rules.....and a horrible idea for our Democracy.

And then we could look at all the people who said mean things, and who said "this is why trump won you whiners"......and...some people would say it right back at them. This is a recipe for disaster. The only thing worse then a bad winner, and a sore loser, is when you turn those roles around in a way that one side finds unjust.

Its like a nightmare that never ends.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:16 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,339,320 times
The only thing worse is all the losers whining about the electoral college.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:38 AM

34,248 posts, read 19,254,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You mean like Donald Trump did in 2012?

Seriously the electoral college is a bad idea then, and it is now. Thats not the point of this thread at all however. I know, its nice to stick it in and jab folks, but come on.

But Hey, you love the electoral college, so tell me....how would you feel if some of them just switched votes, and it was president Clinton. Thats perfectly legal. And from your statement here you wouldn't whine at all right? Cool, then maybe them doing it wouldn't be as bad as I think.

(nonsense. It would be very very bad)

Old 11-19-2016, 03:52 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,544,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's a valid point. There is very little to prevent electors from voting for someone other than the person who carried their state.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:12 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,550,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Apparently there has been some discussion about the electoral college voting for someone other then what they pledged.

The split electoral and popular win I viewed as a horrible outcome. But today I am reminded of another. Its one that....I will be honest. Trump is a horrible choice. So maybe the damage it would do to our democracy would be worth it. But maybe not.

Yes I am sure people here who cheered "suck it up buttercup" and "He won by the rules" would also feel just as good if.....Trump lost the electoral college because of people switching their votes. It would be within the rules.....and a horrible idea for our Democracy.

And then we could look at all the people who said mean things, and who said "this is why trump won you whiners"......and...some people would say it right back at them. This is a recipe for disaster. The only thing worse then a bad winner, and a sore loser, is when you turn those roles around in a way that one side finds unjust.

Its like a nightmare that never ends.
You make an excellent point. I don't think in this case it is going to happen.

I did see two liberal E.C. voters expressing their views. They say they are going to try and convince others to vote other than what they pledged.
There should be some control on those in the E.C. that prevents them from being in the position and holding strong views to the left or the right. It can't preform in the way intended if those in the position aren't able to do the job in a objective manner. Clearly the two I saw held strong liberal views and would feel compelled to vote against their pledge for the wrong reasons. I'm sure there must be those on the right that are like that also.

If it ever happened that they voted other than what they pledged it might be lighting the fuse for a civil war. They only way it wouldn't is if it worked as intended and the candidate they rejected would have the voters breathing a sigh of relief. Not just one side but a high percentage of the majority. That rejected candidate would have to do something so serious between election day and the day the E.C. records its vote. Something like a coup where they took control of the military or led a foreign army invasion into the country. Its meant to be something far more serious than wanting to enforce the laws on the books. Being thought a racist, or misogynist or any of the phobia's isn't a cause to do it. The importance of that would have already been decided during the general election time frame.
A safety valve should act like a safety valve and not a chance to subvert the will of the voters.

Last edited by phma; 11-19-2016 at 04:25 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 05:40 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,585,533 times
If the electoral voting will cause an upset than we will have some kind of civil war in the USA

Old 11-19-2016, 06:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,945,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If the electoral voting will cause an upset than we will have some kind of civil war in the USA
The country is too big with power too centralized in the hands of too few so if voting counter to the will of the people would cause the breaking of this up, I would be O.K. with that.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The country is too big with power too centralized in the hands of too few so if voting counter to the will of the people would cause the breaking of this up, I would be O.K. with that.
Wow. Just...wow.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,945,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Wow. Just...wow.
What's with the desire to control everything people do?

Old 11-19-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What's with the desire to control everything people do?
What's with the idea that civil war would be okay? If you meant something else by saying the country is too big, and "the breaking of this up" would be a good thing, by all means, I withdraw my remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections