Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:56 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's true that we won't know this for some time, but some of Hillary's supporters are making the claim. So I ask them why they didn't complain when the nomination was given undemocratically (their words) to Obama.
We won't EVER know. We didn't have a direct popular vote election. We had 51 state + D.C. elections. People voted for a STATE winner. Period. Many folks don't even bother to vote because their state is so far left or right. You can't have one kind of election, and afterwards say "oh never mind we are counting votes the other way!!". Votes in popular vote elections might tell a totally different story, bet we'll never know, because we didn't have one.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:37 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Democrats = Hypocrites

/Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:36 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I say, "Poor deflection, Kitty You can do better than that."

Since you didn't address topic, and instead tried to make it about me, I say it is you who deflected.

Why didn't the democrats how make issue of popular vote now, make issue of it when Hillary won popular vote in 2008 but wasn't nominated.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:46 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Because the outrage on the Left is never consistent nor does it ever make any sense.

Their entire campaign strategy rests on manufactured outrage. THey look for ANYTHING to be outraged about.

Even these 'protests' are manufactured....you never know what's real and hat isn't with theml.

I'm not surprised at this little side note one bit about Obama winning delegates but losing the popular vote with no outrage to follow up on.

In some weird and twisted way it goes hand in hand with the outrage about the Trump comments about grabbing women.

Now they were all worked up about something that he said 11 years ago....but for some odd reason they were all very tolerant of a guy involved in 7 sex related scanadals which included allegations of rape going right back into the oval office.

It all just goes hand in hand with what they always do.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Indeed they wish to avoid the Trump's results.

And.....?

Now about the election and our next President.

Trump
  • flipped 7 Obama states,
  • his party controls Congress,
  • controls most of the governorships,
  • controls 67 of 98 state chambers, and
  • he did the unimaginable sent the Bush and Clinton families home for good.
  • His worst critics who were 100% wrong are left babbling about the popular vote.
  • There isn't a politician in DC who wants to tangle with him now.
That is one hell of a mandate.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:57 PM

30,249 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Since you didn't address topic, and instead tried to make it about me, I say it is you who deflected.

Why didn't the democrats how make issue of popular vote now, make issue of it when Hillary won popular vote in 2008 but wasn't nominated.
Well, to be fair, some of them did. The PUMAs sure did. The majority of Dems, however, did not, for reasons already stated. Hypocrites. Oh and excuse making, as we have seen on here.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:11 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Some Hillary supporters, now that she lost in a landslide, now say the popular vote should decide election. Many many claims that not using popular vote is undemocratic.

In 2008 Hillary won the popular vote in the Dem Primary against Obama.
  • Hillary Clinton - 17,857,501 - 48.04%
  • Barack Obama - 17,584,692 - 47.31%
Yet super delegates gave it to Obama.

So why no complaints from Democrats then?

I see a double standard at play.

What say you?
As Trump would say, "WRONG." Popular votes in the Dem Primaries can't be properly tallied because of CAUCUSES. It's not "one vote, one person."

Also, in 2008, Florida and Michigan were punished for doing something, so their votes were cut in half, which screws up any popular vote tally.

In Wikipedia, there are five different ways to ESTIMATE the popular vote. Clinton comes out ahead in only TWO...and those are ones where you really distort the voting and simply disregard entire states, including all caucus states. Which can hardly be considered an accurate popular vote tally.

Here is what I, and I think most, would consider the closest tally of the popular vote (it includes ALL estimates of votes, including the caucuses):

CLINTON...............OBAMA

OR, if you want to exclude all the caucuses and the FL and MI punished states that weren't counted fully (so you only include true votes that were counted):
CLINTON...............OBAMA

But as I said, we can only do estimates. There is no true popular vote tally for all who voted.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:18 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Democrats are the party of hypocrisy.
HRC did not win the popular vote in the primary in 2008. The Dem Party has no way of properly tallying the popular vote in primaries, esp the 2008 election. There was a problem with FL & Michigan, and then there are several caucus states, where the popular vote (one vote for one person) isn't recorded as such.

If you exclude those problematic states and count only the popular votes that can be properly tallied, Obama won the popular vote.

If you include all those problematic state and estimate the problem ones and add to the popular vote count, Obama won the popular vote.

It's almost always the case that the one who wins the popular vote is the one who wins the election. I guess it's the same with primaries, but those aren't as well tracked as elections.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As Trump would say, "WRONG." Popular votes in the Dem Primaries can't be properly tallied because of CAUCUSES. It's not "one vote, one person."
So you agree that rights that keep it from being based solely on the popular vote are OK?

Old 11-21-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
HRC did not win the popular vote in the primary in 2008. .
According to this, she did.

Democratic Convention 2008

And they are better at it than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections