Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
In the last couple of years,there were many pronouncements that Republicans would be wiped out forever due to demographic changes. What did you think?
Nope. I've said it a lot already, but 13 years ago some liberal surmised that Republicans were a dying breed. Then the Republicans went on to win the Presidency a year later, so I don't give a lot of thought to those who predict the "end" of any political party.

It's not even the "end" of the Dems, as some are saying. It always revolves. This time it's Republicans. It may very well be Republicans again nex time. The Dems will win again some day...then the Repubs will win, then the Dems again...I don't comprehend why people always make such ridiculous statements claiming one party or the other is "over!"

No, they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:27 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Quote:
In the last couple of years,there were many pronouncements that Republicans would be wiped out forever due to demographic changes. What did you think?
I think nobody expected it to happen in 2016. Plenty of whites over 65 are still around, and still voting.

Long-term, given birth rates, it's not a sustainable constituency.

Unless the GOP can pivot their pandering to the new majority that the Census says will exist after 2044, they may run some risk of losing support.

Census: White majority in U.S. gone by 2043 - U.S. News

Old 11-21-2016, 12:36 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
I think nobody expected it to happen in 2016. Plenty of whites over 65 are still around, and still voting.

Unless the GOP can pivot their pandering to the new majority that the Census says will exist after 2044, they may run some risk of losing support.

Don't think that they won't be pandered to by democrats when they aren't the majority. They will still be a large voting block which could effect the elections. Can't wait for all the free stuff. Winter is coming on and I need free ski tickets and skis too.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:48 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
The Republicans were declared dead in 1960, 1964, 1976, 1992, 2008, and, especially, 2012.

No one saying it recently was watching what was happening in state and local elections.

I know this will sound strange after the election of a businessman who nobody expected to win but the Republicans have a very large bench now out in the states, and not just Midwest ones, but almost all of them.

Losing so many state races will hurt the Democrats for the next several years/election cycles.

And let's face it, the real center of national elected power is Congress.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post

You seem to think conservatives are a group of old people who are going to die off or somehow pass their political leanings on in their DNA...that's funny.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Don't think that they won't be pandered to by democrats when they aren't the majority. They will still be a large voting block which could effect the elections. Can't wait for all the free stuff. Winter is coming on and I need free ski tickets and skis too.
Think so?

Old 11-21-2016, 02:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
No. And said so.

I do think that demographic changes will force the GOP to change their platform on social issues, but there will always be a more conservative, big-business-oriented party and a more liberal, social-safety-net-oriented party.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You seem to think conservatives are a group of old people who are going to die off or somehow pass their political leanings on in their DNA...that's funny.
Old people are going to die off. Sorry I had to be the one to break it to you.

I didn't say anyone would "pass their political leanings on in their DNA."

Read the data:

2016 Election | Pew Research Center

Younger generations of voters could dominate 2016 election | Pew Research Center

Old 11-21-2016, 02:53 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
I thought they were dead in 2007 when Bush and company started bailing out the banks, then when Obama was elected being as far left as he is I thought that maybe if the country survived the Republicans may have a chance, but they would have to change. I realized with the rise of the Tea Party they would be okay. As much as liberals love to slam the Tea Party it was pretty obvious that their economic wants were pretty similar to what most would like. Now hopefully for their sake they do not blow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections