Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:16 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times

Advertisements

So Hillary Clinton did well in counties that are full of Lexus liberals and hipsters. So what? You aren't going to do very well appealing mostly to these people and holding the rest of the country in contempt. If this last election didn't teach you that I don't know what will.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 PM

325 posts, read 371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The more educated the region, the more support Clinton received.

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump | FiveThirtyEight
I have a PhD. I voted Trump.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:43 PM

146 posts, read 238,314 times
I am not sure if it was democrats or liberals but they are slightly more educated than the other side.
I guess I understand why: our organizations of higher learning are where the indoctrination starts.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:17 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
These are the same people that guaranteed a huge Hillary landslide...their polls cannot be questioned

Even if this were correct, so.
Those highly educated that developed those polls that said Hillary had "it"! Those educated news media personnel that were sure Hillary had "it". Educated doesn't make one "smart" or give them "commonsense" but I guess that has been obvious, especially here at C-D, when following the posts of Hillary's supporters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Increased education is related to higher IQ scores.
Not at all. IQ has nothing to do with increased education. Nothing. IQ also means nothing and like most of those degrees, it doesn't assure you a job that pays well enough to make the payments on your student loan thus the crying over incurring a debt and wanting the government to write it off. A smart person would have chose a field that actually had jobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
In my humble opinion... the more common sense a person has, the more they voted against Hillary Clinton. I watched a whole lot of "educated" people wrongly predict a Hillary victory on Nov 8th.
I have noticed that people that choose "higher education" often lack common sense to begin with. The "professional" students in particular. They use the diploma to cover the hole in the wall of their parent's basement where they will reside while trying to pay off their higher education with big box store wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Notice they define "educated" as percentage of people with college degrees? I would like to see the numbers after separating useful degrees (engineering, medical, etc.) from worthless degrees.
Useful degrees? They have jobs and can pay off their student loans and not use food stamps and other public assistance. Useless degrees? The majority, they were crying about going into debt to be something they thought would be a "fun" or "easy" job and want Uncle to "forgive" their stupidity by letting them out of their obligation. We had student loans, my older son had student loans and we paid them off, early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
It shows you can apply your education and have common sense. "Smart" doesn't come from a degree.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:21 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Me too.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:31 PM

7,635 posts, read 8,705,627 times
More "education" = more exposure to the mainstream media = being more manipulated by the media. Less "education" = gut feeling, intuition.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:06 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Honestly, I wonder how accurate the OP's link actually is. I'm college educated (engineering) and work with a good number of others that are. I honestly can't think of any that are Clinton voters. I suppose if you look at those with what we used to call "basket weaving" degrees, it might be a different story. Engineers and technical people look at and evaluate facts and base decisions on data, not emotions. Hillary...was a lousy choice by every rational measure.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Honestly, I wonder how accurate the OP's link actually is. I'm college educated (engineering) and work with a good number of others that are. I honestly can't think of any that are Clinton voters. I suppose if you look at those with what we used to call "basket weaving" degrees, it might be a different story. Engineers and technical people look at and evaluate facts and base decisions on data, not emotions. Hillary...was a lousy choice by every rational measure.
Same here. Masters degree in engineering. I have yet to meet an engineer that claimed to vote for Hillary. There are studies that show that people with STEM degrees tend to be more conservative. And it's no secret that the simple-minded (liberals) are getting millions of worthless degrees (liberal arts, poetry, chicano-studies, communications, etc.). And then they claim to be more "educated". What a joke.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:11 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Ok--I'll get bashed for being elitist, but what was Trump's big promise besides 'Da Wall'?

High wage unskilled or semi-skilled labor jobs--like they 'used' to have (when unions ruled). A fantasy, of course. It's not going to happen. Technology has taken over manufacturing and even the Wizard of Trump cannot do anything to change that. Some retraining is necessary and some new industries are necessary. Going back into the mines is definitely not the answer. Other countries are passing us by with education and progress.

Either people train for new jobs or things will not change for them. Unions will not be making a comeback. Corporate greed is not going away. The corporate welfare infrastructure plan is not a long-term plan. The defense industry will not save the workers--we just don't need all the stuff we built during the Cold War. Obama tried to get infrastructure projects through and even subsidized it with federal money. Jerks like Florida's very own Rick Scott turned it down. Some infrastructure spending might pass now that the GOP isn't trying to obstruct--we'll see. Maybe Trump will pull an FDR.
Great so what industries should they retrain for? What is left after all the regulations and stomping of rights that have happened over the last 24 years?

Old 11-25-2016, 09:07 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The more educated the region, the more support Clinton received.

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump | FiveThirtyEight
Maybe "loan forgiveness" was the attraction in that case as many of those "more educated" can't find a job in their field and end up needing public assistance and/or working big box stores to put food on the table. They created an obligation and like any other contract need to be held liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections