Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:27 PM

1,768 posts, read 702,199 times

Advertisements

STEM people I know voted trump.
Liberal arts people I know voted Clinton.

Not 100% but I found this to be a surprising indicator.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:33 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,275,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

People seriously need to give it a rest with this generalization that a college education means someone is intelligent. It's a career choice and nothing more. Anyone of average intelligence can do it if they avoid the difficult degrees and put the time in.
It's just something that people bring up to make themselves feel better about voting for a loser.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 PM

670 posts, read 1,099,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Easy one.

It means you have a higher salary and are less likely to be unemployed. Not elitist, but simply a fact.

It is, if you will excuse the expression, a no-brainer.

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

I can't believe the attached graph is correct. Median weekly salary for a person with a masters degree is $1341/week??? How do you live off that? - especially with the financial burden right out of the gate for a masters degree??

A higher salary? Not than the (mostly non-college educated) business owners I know. Hell, most skilled tradesman I know make very close to if not more than that. Some substantially more. Yes, they had to attend school but most is subsidized by the business they work for while they simultaneously earn a paycheck through apprenticeship.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,857,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Sorry newbie, but a college degree these days is nothing special. The liberal elites like to salute their more 'educated' voters, but I'll chose a hardworking, blue collar family man or woman over what's coming out of college these days.
Why do you assume college educated people aren't hard workers?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,634,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
There is no denying that there was a difference in educational levels between those who voted for Hillary vs Trump. His supporters try to spin it as "Well, those colleges are putting Liberal ideas into those kids heads !" () but the fact is, college grads are just a little smarter than the average non college educated person. They tend to THINK things through, and not take everything that is thrown at them as facts.
I would love to see a link for that. Take your time, I'll wait for it.

Quote:
Trump supporters tend to see college as Kryptanite.
That's spelled Kryptonite, with an o. What's the point of college if you can't spell?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 PM

670 posts, read 1,099,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why do you assume college educated people aren't hard workers?
That would be a fascinating study if it was possible to quantity "hard worker". From my experience I know people who work hard at every education level. If said study could be performed I think you would find "hard workers" at every education level from manual laborers to Lawyers working night and day for months on a case. There are different kinds of "hard work". Anyone who does more than the median work load for their given profession could be considered a "hard worker" I suppose?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:10 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,735,888 times
Quote:
[T]he fact is, college grads are just a little smarter than the average non college educated person. They tend to THINK things through, and not take everything that is thrown at them as facts.
That's not true at all. A college education is foremost a function of race then income.

Going to college does not make people smarter (e.g. College doesn't make you smarter, study finds) and while certain majors have a higher intelligence than others, overall college graduates have a small edge over non-grads (which is much weaker than the correlation between income and iq https://pumpkinperson.com/2016/02/11...een-iq-income/). If you take into account the correlation between income and college, it is quite likely that the college educated are actually less intelligent (and no "smarter") than non-graduates of the same income level.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:15 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,735,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
I can't believe the attached graph is correct. Median weekly salary for a person with a masters degree is $1341/week??? How do you live off that? - especially with the financial burden right out of the gate for a masters degree??
They separated out master's degrees and professional degrees.
Professional degrees are the ones that put you in huge debt. Master's degrees generally don't (I have no idea of the exact stats now, but it has consistently been 50%+ fully funded including living expenses and around 90% partly funded).

Old 11-30-2016, 12:57 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,340,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Hey, I remember colleges...I remember when colleges used to teach something other than leftist propaganda.
Could you cite examples of the curriculum of colleges teaching any such thing exactly? Or will your evidence for this be as thin on the ground as your evidence for the god you claim exists, but refuse to provide a SHRED of evidence for?

Old 11-30-2016, 02:03 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Could you cite examples of the curriculum of colleges teaching any such thing exactly? Or will your evidence for this be as thin on the ground as your evidence for the god you claim exists, but refuse to provide a SHRED of evidence for?
Wow, talk about going off topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections