Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
... Strong on military/national defense/ending illegal immigration and economic knowledge. But they also have to have leadership skills to get anything to work.

I don't know of any person who has all of those skills.
I really do align with a lot of Ron Paul's policies, and it was interesting to see his attempt to grill Bernanke, but he does lack charismatic presence and oratory skills ...

Hopefully someone with the core of his policies (some of them are at the fringe), combined with those skills, will emerge in the next four or eight years.

The democrats have those skills now in Mr Obama, but some of his policies are suspect. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:25 AM

184 posts, read 1,544,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
black white man woman dem repub.... it won't make any difference
"Meet the new boss (same as the old boss).." ?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Ron Paul. No question.
ME TOO and he's still in it. Everyone can write Ron Paul's name if it isn't on the ballot in November. Maybe we will have a surprise election upset of the century and he'll resoundingly win the popular vote. Hopefully enough people won't be so easily led by the media who want people to forget about Ron Paul.

If McCain was smart he'd ask Ron Paul to be VP and then model his platform more on Ron Paul's, then he'd win hands down--- because I'm not convinced intelligent Democrats are that impressed with Hillary or Obama. I think that with party affiliation aside, anyone who has seen any of the debates or heard any of his speeches have to agree that Ron Paul makes the most sense of any candidate so far----BY FAR.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM

173 posts, read 258,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Revenge View Post
first one has a decent platform alot of us would agree with i think... putting troops on the border,free healthcare,lower food prices, lower taxes, cutting off aid to Israel.
Not I.

"Free healthcare" is anything but; combining that with lower taxes is about the most foolish thing I've ever read.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM

52 posts, read 181,610 times
Giving everyone universal health care may not be the problem. Can people afford the medical care when they have insurance?

Remember these are campaign promises. Can they put them through once in office?

What 35 years of experience is Clinton referring to?

This is a recent George Will column. Last paragraph is interesting...not that I'm particularly behind Obama.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:51 AM

52 posts, read 181,610 times
Sorry...George Will

Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM

711 posts, read 932,759 times
Smile Candidate Glitter!

In a society such as the one we have evolved to, it will be very difficult for a fundamentally sound candidate to win the nomination.
Call us superficial, narrow of scope, populous minded or whatever we have a penchant for oratory, appearence and perceptions. Perhaps it comes from our sports/extreamist societal ways.

That said, I think we indeed have had candidates that have faded into the virtual unknown that would have benefitted the large mass of middle-class Americans. No nonsense types frighten Americans, I guess.

We seem to prefer the flashier, better financed, better heeled, better connected and larger mouthed. So far these types have not done a very good job or set an environment in which good things can florish.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Duncan Hunter was the man for me but alas, he never caught on. Oh well.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I would have thought Cookie Monster would have gone towards a universal health care candidate, considering his cookie eating, obsessive compulsive disorder

Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
The only candidate I could approve of is Ron Paul. He is right about the FBI and CIA. I know these are not considered to be major issues but it is great that he has come forward and said what I already suspect is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections