Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:49 AM

624 posts, read 368,819 times

Advertisements

Because this country just shows how corrupt Congress is. They might as well throughout the U.S. Constitution. All these protesters they should have gone out and vote.

I completely remember when i was a liberal thank god those days are over. It really it's when you start taking care of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 1,619 times
Time to destroy all books...paper burns at 451 degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 18,549,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvbostons7489 View Post
Because this country just shows how corrupt Congress is. They might as well throughout the U.S. Constitution. All these protesters they should have gone out and vote.

I completely remember when i was a liberal thank god those days are over. It really it's when you start taking care of yourself.
Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books.

Oddly, liberals do not realize that it shows the dangers of a leftist, totalitarian society, which embraces political correctness, alteration of the language, and subjugation to the federal government. Witness the demand for banning certain books and altering the language of classics among leftists. They are the new Nazis.

Leftist thought IS WHAT IS THE THREAT PRESENTED IN FAHRENHEIT 451.

Oddly, liberals, who fail to understand that their views were born in the polluted mind of Stalin and Lenin, perceive themselves as "progressive" and "superior", when in fact, they are simply oppressive totalitarians bent on suppressing individual liberties.

Liberals are "double plus ungood" ("1984" reference, rather than "Fahrenheit 451").

Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 PM

15,514 posts, read 15,509,807 times
Quote:

That's an interesting idea.

I suppose that if you keep in mind that Trump has no intellectual curiosity, has a very limited vocabulary, disdains expertise, and says he haven't read a book since leaving school - then, yes, he may trigger changes leading to a dystopia like Fahrenheit 451.

Odd that you make a literary comparison, since you seem to have a problem writing correct sentences.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,295,144 times
Quote:

I recently read Fahrenheit 451 and can't see where you're going. Congress corrupt? If anything, the Rightwing's stances burning the American Flag, on eliminating the First Amendment, on pushing the 2nd Amendment, on being anti-Muslim, on being phobic to Hispanic immigrants....well, these are more in line w/ the society portrayed in the book. I don't see anything from your post relevant to Bradbury's book.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:52 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,273,221 times
For openers, it ought to be recognized that the film version of Fahrenheit 451 conveys a message considerably different from that of the book -- so much so that author Ray Bradbury disavowed the film. Mr. Bradbury had some deep reservations about both the decline of reading in the public schools, and the new censorship represented by the contradiction known as Political Correctness.

“You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.”

“There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches.” (Ray Bradbury}

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-13-2016 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 02:15 AM

4,654 posts, read 4,095,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I recently read Fahrenheit 451 and can't see where you're going. Congress corrupt? If anything, the Rightwing's stances burning the American Flag, on eliminating the First Amendment, on pushing the 2nd Amendment, on being anti-Muslim, on being phobic to Hispanic immigrants....well, these are more in line w/ the society portrayed in the book. I don't see anything from your post relevant to Bradbury's book.
You did not read the book. Don't even pretend.

Beatty illustrates to Montag that freedom of speech died because interests groups, especially racial interest groups, constantly pretended to take offense to anything that was written--identity politics and political correctness were predicted.

You did not know this because you did not read the book.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 4,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
For openers, it ought to be recognized that the film version of Fahrenheit 451 conveys a message considerably different from that of the book -- so much so that author Ray Bradbury disavowed the film. Mr. Bradbury had some deep reservations about both the decline of reading in the public schools, and the new censorship represented by the contradiction known as Political Correctness.

“You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.”

“There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches.” (Ray Bradbury}
Fahrenheit 451 was not about censorship, but about how the media has become such a controlling aspect of society. So many have missed the point of the novel.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 PM

4,654 posts, read 4,095,712 times
Actually it is the opposite, because in Bradbury's book he discussed how freedom of thought died when it was agreed that you cannot say or write anything that offends anyone.

We were going down that path under Obama, but Trump has put a stop to it. The left is now going to struggle to compete, because freedon of speech is back. That is why they have to send their street goons out to try and silence us, but they are going to lose that.

Lol. Didn't realize that I already comented in the thread.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 4,382 times
You may want to ask the author about that as Bradbury himself has stated that it was not about censorship. It's funny that so many people seem to know more about what it means than the author. But since he has passed away, we can only go by what is documented of his explanation:

Quote:
Bradbury still has a lot to say, especially about how people do not understand his most literary work, Fahrenheit 451, published in 1953. It is widely taught in junior high and high schools and is for many students the first time they learn the names Aristotle, Dickens and Tolstoy.

Now, Bradbury has decided to make news about the writing of his iconographic work and what he really meant. Fahrenheit 451 is not, he says firmly, a story about government censorship. Nor was it a response to Senator Joseph McCarthy, whose investigations had already instilled fear and stifled the creativity of thousands.

This, despite the fact that reviews, critiques and essays over the decades say that is precisely what it is all about. Even Bradbury’s authorized biographer, Sam Weller, in The Bradbury Chronicles, refers to Fahrenheit 451 as a book about censorship.

Bradbury, a man living in the creative and industrial center of reality TV and one-hour dramas, says it is, in fact, a story about how television destroys interest in reading literature.
Bradbury visited a college once to talk about his writings and when he told a group of students there what his book was about, students actually argued with him that it was about censorship, up to the point where Bradbury walked out and swore he'd never give another speech at a college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections