Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:38 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
To the Left, everything is "fake news" if it doesn't agree with the Leftist's narrative.
That's a fact. Actual facts are totally meaningless to Leftists. ANYTHING that doesn't comport with their world view must be discredited as 'fake', etc... They want power AT ANY COST... even if the price is the truth itself.

Last edited by Tyster; 12-20-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:11 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree with what you said except that there is no doubt it is more pro-Democrat/liberal than conservative. Until about 25 years ago there were no national sources of conservative news. Everything was filtered through a liberal lens to one degree or another. The big 3 TV news shows all had a liberal bias. Then Rush Limbaugh came along with a national radio show, and actually expressed what was on many peoples minds. As we know, conservative talk radio has thrived, while liberal talk radio has been a bust nationally. It only survives in liberal enclaves in the SF Bay area, and some places in WA and OR.
The top three national shows are Limbaugh, Hannity and Savage.
Anyway, when FOX came along, there was finally unbiased news coverage, and a slew of conservative talking heads with shows that spoke to people who felt left out for generations.
I'd have to strongly disagree with this statement. No, Fox News is not neutral at all. I will say that it came as a breath of fresh air, as it is just as biased in the Conservative direction as CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, AP, MSNBC and others were Liberal. Fox News is an excellent ying to their yang. Now you have a televised source for both points of view. The best example of Fox News obvious bias is The Five, where you have four conservatives and one token liberal whipping boy. Certainly not fair and balanced.

The most neutral televised source I've seen has been PBS to be honest, though they are slightly liberally biased as well. The BBC is the best source for actually reporting the news around the world. All news networks have become hyper-obsessed with politics and as a result they tend to suck at reporting pretty much everything else. They can't even report on natural disasters or human catastrophes without making it political.

Quote:
The bottom line is that while so called "fake news" does exist, many on the left are demonizing anything not liberal minded as fake.
So called unbiased fact checking services like Snopes & PolitiFact are nothing more than liberal media sources, trying to dispel anything from a conservative perspective. Remember, "facts" can be perceived from several different perspectives, thus the news of those facts can be crafted from a biased perspective. Since there are many more (almost all of them) liberal news sources in print and on TV, radio remains one of the few places where conservatives can go to for a reflection of their perspective.
This of course worries the leftists, and the good little apparatchiks that they are, want to restrict/censor what they do not like.
I didn't like Air America with their ultra liberal wacko hosts, but I never thought they should be restricted/censored for expressing their point of view.
Too bad our "open-minded" and free speech loving citizens on the left do not think like the old school liberals did back when they use to extol the virtues of Voltaire.
Sadly now days, they worship at the alter of Political Correctness.
Fact checking has turned into an art form. There isn't just one go to source for zero BS reporting. Most often, you have to hit up both sides of the issue on from blatantly biased sources.

One of the most honest liberal sources in existence is The Young Turks. The conservative side of "fake news" sites that I count as reliable varies. InfoWars is great for getting the straight conservative shtick, but is hyper-biased. After the DNC tried to get Mika Brzezinski fired, MSNBC might just transition into a semi-useful news source, but that remains to be seen. Fox News and InfoWars give you the conservative side of things quite reliably. There are so many liberal sources that you can't go three virtual steps without tripping over another one. I cannot give Fox enough credit for giving the largest alternative political movement a voice with the John Stossel. No other news network has had the balls to give third parties such a significant platform to speak from.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'd have to strongly disagree with this statement. No, Fox News is not neutral at all. I will say that it came as a breath of fresh air, as it is just as biased in the Conservative direction as CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, AP, MSNBC and others were Liberal. Fox News is an excellent ying to their yang. Now you have a televised source for both points of view. The best example of Fox News obvious bias is The Five, where you have four conservatives and one token liberal whipping boy. Certainly not fair and balanced.

Spoiler
The most neutral televised source I've seen has been PBS to be honest, though they are slightly liberally biased as well. The BBC is the best source for actually reporting the news around the world. All news networks have become hyper-obsessed with politics and as a result they tend to suck at reporting pretty much everything else. They can't even report on natural disasters or human catastrophes without making it political.

Fact checking has turned into an art form. There isn't just one go to source for zero BS reporting. Most often, you have to hit up both sides of the issue on from blatantly biased sources.

One of the most honest liberal sources in existence is The Young Turks. The conservative side of "fake news" sites that I count as reliable varies. InfoWars is great for getting the straight conservative shtick, but is hyper-biased. After the DNC tried to get Mika Brzezinski fired, MSNBC might just transition into a semi-useful news source, but that remains to be seen. Fox News and InfoWars give you the conservative side of things quite reliably. There are so many liberal sources that you can't go three virtual steps without tripping over another one. I cannot give Fox enough credit for giving the largest alternative political movement a voice with the John Stossel. No other news network has had the balls to give third parties such a significant platform to speak from.
I agree 100%. Anyone who doesn't see the blatant bias of FOX is not really paying attention.

Your example of the Five is a pretty obvious one, and a perfect balance to what CNN does on just about every one of their prime time shows. They bring in a "panel" and all of them bash Trump or whatever right-wing cause they are bashing, and they have the one conservative trying to defend while everyone else talks over them and lies and pats themselves on their backs.

MSNBC is by far the most blatant and is even worse than FOX in that regard. At least CNN has a few semi-competent hosts that appear to be a bit less extreme. For example, I think Erin Burnett is typically pretty fair.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:45 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Obama blames his failures on a radio show. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections