Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:17 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I don't think the founding fathers ever anticipated that we would have a scenario where the popular vote leader was not elected president in two of five elections. Thwarting the will of the people was not their intention.

The fact that electors could actually go against how the people in their state voted and act on their own is just another sign that the electoral college has long outlived itself.

False meme.
We vote by State and this is exactly what they intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
With the electoral college? We just prevented a criminal and a communistic from taking office, even in spite of the money and propaganda behind her. They fled that type of a government and they knew how to safeguard us. The Republic can live a little bit longer.

I worry more about those counting votes deciding elections and not the people voting(as seen in the recount abnormalities in just 3 states)

Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
I don't think the founding fathers ever anticipated that we would have a scenario where the popular vote leader was not elected president in two of five elections. Thwarting the will of the people was not their intention.

The fact that electors could actually go against how the people in their state voted and act on their own is just another sign that the electoral college has long outlived itself.
What kinda stupid logic is that?
You have got to be kidding! If that were the case, there would have never been an electoral college to begin with and this would have been America, instead of the United STATES of America.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:14 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Fat lady has yet to sing.
What is Donna Brazille doing these days?

Old 12-21-2016, 04:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
With the electoral college? We just prevented a criminal and a communistic from taking office, even in spite of the money and propaganda behind her. They fled that type of a government and they knew how to safeguard us. The Republic can live a little bit longer.

I voted for Trump and am glad he won.

I support the general idea of the Electoral College and don't want to see it abandoned.

....but if you think the way it works now is how our Founders intended it to work, you need a study in History.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:48 PM

1,160 posts, read 712,532 times
Quote:

God, you dummies...

Don't you realize that "back in the day" people didn't vote and electors in the electoral college were distributed to candidate by state legislatures?!

You people are so incredibly uneducated.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I voted for Trump and am glad he won.

I support the general idea of the Electoral College and don't want to see it abandoned.

....but if you think the way it works now is how our Founders intended it to work, you need a study in History.
I know exactly how it was intended to work, more so than you.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:24 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
I know exactly how it was intended to work, more so than you.
Doesn't appear so....

I bet if I searched your posting history, I'd find posts that complain about Democrats trying to get the electors to abandon their pledge to vote for Trump, even though that's EXACTLY how the founders intended the process to work.

Electors were never intended to be "bound" or "pledged" to any candidate. They were to be intellectual free agents, free to deliberate and decide amongst themselves as "men most qualified" who the next president should be, without any obligation to the public vote in their state.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
False meme.
We vote by State and this is exactly what they intended.
What they did NOT intend was for the electors to simply rubber stamp their state vote.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:40 PM

778 posts, read 339,068 times
Absolutely, people living today have absolutely NO understanding of the time, study and thought that the founders put into crafting the Constitution. The further away we get from our founding, the further we get from really understanding the historical significance of what they accomplished!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections