U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Albemarle, NC
7,730 posts, read 12,445,614 times
Reputation: 1489

Advertisements

Mega-Church Pastor in Texas Backs McCain - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog

Hagee is the fellow in Texas that thinks we should destroy Muslims to allow the Jews in Israel to rebuild the Temple thereby ushering in the second coming of Jesus. Someone should tell them that the Bible is prophecy, not a "how-to".

As good as Farrakhan's endorsement of Obama? Or better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
2,290 posts, read 4,946,160 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Mega-Church Pastor in Texas Backs McCain - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog

Hagee is the fellow in Texas that thinks we should destroy Muslims to allow the Jews in Israel to rebuild the Temple thereby ushering in the second coming of Jesus. Someone should tell them that the Bible is prophecy, not a "how-to".

As good as Farrakhan's endorsement of Obama? Or better?
Hagee is every bit as controversial as Farrahkhan, and is deserving--in some cases, not all--of denunciation as Farrahkhan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,186 posts, read 7,499,074 times
Reputation: 2573
Quote:
Mr. McCain, who has been on a steady search for support among conservative and evangelical leaders who have long distrusted him, said he was “very honored'’ by Mr. Hagee’s endorsement. Asked about Mr. Hagee’s extensive writings on Armageddon and about what one questioner said was Mr. Hagee’s belief that the anti-Christ will be the head of the European Union, Mr. McCain responded that “all I can tell you is that I am very proud to have Pastor John Hagee’s support.'’
At least Obama renounced and rejected Farrakhans words and ideas. McCain is "very honored."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,665 posts, read 8,708,277 times
Reputation: 3105
Will Tim Russert confront McCain about this? For consistencies sake, we must reserve time in every debate for candidates to publicly state whether they renounce or accept the support of every objectionable supporter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Boise
2,684 posts, read 6,052,529 times
Reputation: 991
Ministers of any faith should avoid endorsing anyone publicly. If they do, they should lose their tax exempt status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Texas
327 posts, read 668,907 times
Reputation: 127
If I were McCain, I wouldn't be pleased about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Reputation: 17978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Ministers of any faith should avoid endorsing anyone publicly. If they do, they should lose their tax exempt status.
They don't have tax expempt status or many black churches would have been lost along time ago. It is the church itself that has it.In my view they have just as much right to endorse candidates as other tax exempt foundations;unions etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,665 posts, read 8,708,277 times
Reputation: 3105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
If I were McCain, I wouldn't be pleased about this.
John disagrees.

Quote:
“all I can tell you is that I am very proud to have Pastor John Hagee’s support.'’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Boise
2,684 posts, read 6,052,529 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
They don't have tax expempt status or many black churches would have been lost along time ago. It is the church itself that has it.In my view they have just as much right to endorse candidates as other tax exempt foundations;unions etc.
I know that it is the church that has it. But have you seen some the politically charged sermons that come out of these southern mega churches. It preaching politics from the pulpit. Any good minister should know that politics and religion should be kept seperate. All of this politicing gives christians of all sorts a bad name. I think the black churches should lose they're status as well. Jesus never went around preaching about the government, or endorsing policies. So where do these pastors get off thinking that they are annointed by God to tell their flocks how to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Albemarle, NC
7,730 posts, read 12,445,614 times
Reputation: 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Jesus never went around preaching about the government, or endorsing policies. So where do these pastors get off thinking that they are annointed by God to tell their flocks how to vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke, Chapter 20 verse 25
And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.
I don't see it as any different than a Governor giving an endorsement. Or Ted Kennedy. These people are better known than many pastors, especially in smaller towns. Even if it is a mega church, they should be free to express their opinions. My only concern would be doing so from the pulpit. Outside of the church, I have no issues with it.

Ron Paul spoke at Liberty University. Should that be illegal as well? It gets into a murky arena where the 1st amendment gets lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top