U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM

8,835 posts, read 17,331,873 times

Advertisements

Obama donor list makes history

By JULIA MALONE

Cox News Service
WASHINGTON - Barack Obama's presidential campaign announced yesterday that its army of donors has grown to a history-making 1 million people.

The milestone is the latest for the freshman Democratic senator from Illinois, who has smashed fundraising records by tapping into small donors - many of them first-time participants - largely through an Internet "click and donate" strategy.

"It's an amazing achievement," said Joe Trippi, who pioneered online fundraising as Howard Dean's campaign manager in the 2004 presidential race.

Obama donor list makes history | Philadelphia Daily News | 02/28/2008 (broken link)

The maximum amount an individual can pledge to any one candidate is $2300. Obama is on track to raise $50 Million this month alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,937,021 times
In other news....

Feb 28th 2008 - Today We're Celebrating: National Tooth Fairy Day

Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,191,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
In other news....

HAPPY TOOTH FAIRY DAY!!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:15 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,801,328 times
But, what about the Recession???

And how can they waste money on a politician when people in Ohio are starving?

Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
In other news....

Huh? I don't get it.

Are you saying that Obama getting three times the number of online donors than the previous record (Howard Dean), and that he is on track to raise $50 Million this month, is not news? I would think no matter your political stripes, it's newsworthy. Maybe people should be taking notes or something.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 PM

3,226 posts, read 12,869,603 times
sour grapes.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Huh? I don't get it.

Are you saying that Obama getting three times the number of online donors than the previous record (Howard Dean), and that he is on track to raise $50 Million this month, is not news? I would think no matter your political stripes, it's newsworthy.
I don't know what that means either, but I have always heard a saying, "If you believe that, so you also believe in the tooth fairy." That is how I see it.

I would love to see an investigation of all those "small" donors. Wonder where so many depressed small donors got so much money. That is the question I would like to ask the FBI and CIA. Bet the answer would make headlines and assure Obama would be defeated.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know what that means either, but I have always heard a saying, "If you believe that, so you also believe in the tooth fairy." That is how I see it.

I would love to see an investigation of all those "small" donors. Wonder where so many depressed small donors got so much money. That is the question I would like to ask the FBI and CIA. Bet the answer would make headlines and assure Obama would be defeated.
Depressed? Please extrapolate? Are you trying to say "poor"?

From what I've read, Obama is capturing a large percentage of highly educated voters:

Examining Barack Obama's Strong Appeal to Highly Educated Americans

I agree that all campaign fundraising should be under scrutiny, as it already is, for all candidates.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,260,065 times
And people are whining they have no money. Give me a break!

Thanks to GW they actually have extra money that they can DONATE to something. But that is ok, after he is elected you wont have a dime to buy a cup of coffee !

Does anyone know if his donations are public record?

I would like to see where the donations coming from.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
And people are whining they have no money. Give me a break!

Thanks to GW they actually have extra money that they can DONATE to something. But that is ok, after he is elected you wont have a dime to buy a cup of coffee !

Does anyone know if his donations are public record?

I would like to see where the donations coming from.
Yes, they are. There are several websites that track where political donations come from. This is one:

2008 Presidential Election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or