Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:02 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Lots of Trump voters stayed home in california and new york.

It was the same when I lived in Massachusetts. A lot of conservatives stayed home or voted third party because they knew the outcome was already a foregone conclusion.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:04 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
If they keep all the tax liabilities for the people in their state (i.e. all the illegals and government dependents) then I have no problem letting CA and NY residents keep their tax dollars.
Oh, I thought the OP said if you don't count NY and Ca Trump won the popular vote.

NY and Ca pay a lot more than they get back.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:09 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
I voted in NY (for Trump) because I wanted to **** off my husband lol.. I was fully aware my vote did not mean squat. I voted more for down ballot and local elections because those votes mattered.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:11 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Wow - if you do not count CA and NY, Trump was ahead by 3 million in popular vote. Meanwhile, those two states put HRC ahead by 2.8 million! I guess the electoral college really does its job.

Final tally shows Trump lost popular vote by 2.8 million | Daily Mail Online
I am all for the EC as it was put in place by much wiser people than it's modern day partisan critics.

Having said that, I do not accept this notion of saying remove this or that, and look at the results. That can always be done by either side of the political divide and is irrelevant to the subject anyway.

A better position to take would be that if our presidential elections were conducted based on the popular vote, Trump would have spent a lot more time in places where he would not win the state (i.e. EC system), but could have received many more votes than he did having avoided a lost cause.
He is very popular in NY, and though he wouldn't win against Hillary, he undoubtedly would have received a lot more votes by holding rallies there along with advertising. Remember most votes he peeled off in those states is also taken away from Hilary. Additionally, he would have traveled to states he had locked up like Texas to maximize the (R) turnout to get many more votes.
Could he have won the popular vote?
I have no idea.
However he was predicted to not even get the nomination, yet he won.
He was predicted to lose the general election by a landslide, yet won in a landslide.
He was predicted to cause the Senate and maybe even the House to be lost, yet both are still in Republican control.
So I wouldn't have put against him winning the popular vote.

Never forget that both Hillary and Trump knew the way presidents get elected and therefore focused their resources/time/money on trying to achieve 270, not the most cumulative votes.
Thus Trump won, and the rest is just trying to get somewhere while going in circles.

`

Old 12-21-2016, 01:16 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Hillary left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth, I doubt anyone would ever vote for her again. And those brainwashed folks that did vote for her in this election, must be truly embarrassed that they believed her enough to vote for her. You see what that got them, by believing in her.......

Old 12-21-2016, 02:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
You realize that California and New York are actually in the the United States right?

Sorry--there is no logic at all to this thread.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:35 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Oh wow... California and New York are such tiny states, not yuuuge like New Jersey. So, I guess their votes don't count in the bigger scheme of things.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:52 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
I think this shows the wisdom of the founders when they came up with the electoral college. The winner has to have broad support across the nation rather than in just a few key states.

I don't think the nation would have lasted as long as did otherwise. Many states would have tried to leave the Union because they would have felt disenfranchised at one time or another (sort of the way Britain is now leaving the EU). Hell, even as a New Yorker, I would want New York to leave the Union if California had anymore power in this country then she already has.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:58 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
The only big state that actually flips preference is Florida. Rs are helpless without Texas, Ds without New York and Ohio is the big bellwether. All the others have been locked into their voting preferences since 1988. The interesting hitch will be in 2024 when they reapportion electoral votes and demographics change after another decade of migration, deaths, people coming of voting age. We also saw some major splits like Kander being competitive in the Missouri Senate race while Trump romped and Trump eeking out wins in states where the R Senate candidate swept. It will be hard to find two less popular Presidential candidates and duplicate the popular/electoral vote split we saw in this cycle.

The interesting thing about NY and Ca are that they have a lot of residents moving to other states for affordability, retirement or weather. So do they become less Dem or do the states those folks choose become more Dem?

Old 12-21-2016, 03:10 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,341,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How many illegal aliens voted in California & New York?
A lot vote in California, millions of fake votes too. Look at Detroit. More dems voted in detroit for Clinton, then we're even registered. They completely cheated.

Trump destroyed the blue wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections