Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:36 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times

Advertisements

This should start some discussion:

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Quote:
Unlike Senator Clinton, I support the complete repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) – a position I have held since before arriving in the U.S. Senate. While some say we should repeal only part of the law, I believe we should get rid of that statute altogether. Federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples, which is precisely what DOMA does.
I find this all very interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Aww isn't that great !

We are finding out more and more about Prince Obomba every single day.

If this keeps on going he will quit before he gets too embarrassed.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 605,787 times

Oh Goodie! Will he buy us a new Mercedes and pay for the ceremony, reception and Honeymoon too? Maybe a nice 3 bedroom in the Hamptons?

Talk about saying ANYTHING to get elected. I have always supported Hillary's stance on DOMA. I don't CARE if the "Church" supports me or not.

"I support repealing the provision of DOMA that may prohibit the federal government from providing benefits to people in states that recognize same sex marriage. I strongly support ensuring people in stable, long-term same sex relationships have full equality of benefits, rights, and responsibilities," Hillary writes.
Ben Smith's Blog - Politico.com

Note: Be sure and read the HRC Questionaire .pdf. Their views are EXACTLY the same as of June 2007. Pandering will not win my vote.

from Hillary's actual questionaire(also available on the Ben Smith link), she provides me with all I want or need:

8. According to a 2004 GAO report, over 1,100 benefits, rights and privileges are
provided to married couples and their families in federal law that are not available to
same-sex couples. Do you support extending federal benefits, rights, privileges and
responsibilities to same-sex couples (and their children) provided the partnership meets
certain federal standards of commitment and mutuality of interest?
X Support  Oppose Comments:
I support full equality of benefits, rights, and responsibilities for individuals in
loving, stable, same sex relationships and in principle, I would like to see federal
benefits extended to same sex couples that meet certain standards. I would need to
examine the feasibility of implementing such a provision and look forward to
working in partnership with the Human Rights Campaign and others in the gay
rights community to determine the best path for realizing this goal.

Note: Be sure and read the HRC Questionaire .pdf. Their views are EXACTLY the same as of June 2007. Pandering will not win my vote.

Last edited by BVH; 02-28-2008 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
Wow, really?

Quote:
Federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples
You posters above me actually have a PROBLEM with this?

Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
I hate when politicians pander to me precisely every 4 years.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Aww isn't that great !

We are finding out more and more about Prince Obomba every single day.

If this keeps on going he will quit before he gets too embarrassed.
And you're going to be hearing a lot more about this prince. The country is full of libs, better get used to it.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Maybe Obama IS the second coming!

You have to admire a guy who will take a (potentially politically damaging) position on a subject like this based on principles. The Democratic Party has a history of standing up against bigotry and today should be no different. Leaders take politically unpopular positions when moral obligations are at stake, and Obama shows again on this issue that he is a leader. We shouldn't be creating laws that take away people's rights.

Obama '08.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
And you're going to be hearing a lot more about this prince. The country is full of libs, better get used to it.
Yes, I know that is what scares me the most. America will no longer be America with control of the WH and Congress.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:04 PM

CHANGE

Does that mean you will no longer have any pocket change when he is done with us?

Prince Tax'em until they bleed and his feedom express will change us for sure, destroying America one day at a time.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:05 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
The Democratic Party has a history of standing up against bigotry and today should be no different.
Pretty short history, they've only stood up against bigotry when it became popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections