Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:01 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That is incredibly arrogant. I say that despite having advanced skill sets in demand. I make no illusion that either of us are such specially blessed snowflakes. The average human utilizes about 10% of their capacity (brain). It could well be, people with advanced skill sets, have used 15%, while the WM stock guy used 7%. That is likely not something locked in stone, nor doable solely due to iq differentials.

In short, I suspect how hard each of us runs to first base, in the education/training/work-ethic building formative years, matter more than your arrogant, given just to you, blessing.
What are you going on about? Lighten up, will ya? What I said clearly sailed about a mile and a half over your head, so let me try to simplify it for you.

There's nothing the least bit arrogant about what I said; it's just the way the world works. With very few exceptions, almost every person in the world has a few things that they are really, really good at. Some people may have only one or two, others may have three or four, but most people can count on having a skillset that gives them at least a couple of things they can do better than most other people. And if they play their cards right and work hard, they can often turn that skillset into a way to make a living. That's just reality.

I have a family member who was never much good for anything, but he is an incredible musician. He spent several years in Los Angeles, working as a studio musician in the recording industry. All he's ever been able to do in his life is pick up a guitar or sit down at a piano and make it sound incredible. Is it arrogant to say that he has a skillset that very few other people have, or is it just reality?

I have a friend who's a prolific author. She can crank out around 2 books a year, regular as clockwork, and the quality of her work is really impressive. She has a skillset that is very unique, and which few other people have. Is it arrogant to say that, or is it just calling it like it is?

I have another family member who could probably make a living doing any one of several things, but he's never been able to stick with anything long enough to get really good at it. Except one thing - custom-building racing engines for small engine motorsports. He's exceptionally gifted at that, and from what i understand many consider him to be one of the best in the world. Very, very few people can ever hope to duplicate what he does, but his inborn talents and acquired skills all come together in just such a way that he's at the top of his profession. And that's just a simple fact. Or do you think that's arrogant, too?

Lighten up, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:00 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
That is what I see here and much of that is associated with ObamaCareNot as it is cheaper to pay the overtime than to pay for health insurance and other costs associated with hiring another individual.

That was ObamaCare, deciding who was worth an investment in healthcare and who wasn't.

Which is still a better plan than ObamaCareNot

Exactly! Many don't remember what our country, workforce and employers used to be like.

Aren't you surprised that everyone didn't all ready know that? It has been discussed for the last 8 years. I guess many "tuned in" late.

Our neighbor had 3 jobs, one full-time and 2 part-time and his wife had a full-time job just to try to keep up with the bills (modest home and economy cars) and one child. They decided not to have another child even though they had planned to because of the cost of daycare. While across town, illegal aliens were having 5 or 6 kids, covered from conception to birth into adulthood and beyond living in subsidized housing.

It is not a matter of wanting to work, but needing to work because of depressed wages and the fact that they can hire an illegal alien for less and they won't complain about violations of US Labor Laws.

Sadly, anyone working this much has no time for their family, of course, some people prefer not to be at home with the family and work provides an excuse.

Here in KS, with depressed wages, the starting wage for 2 of the manufacturers in town is less than my father was making per hour in Michigan in 1970 and he had health insurance provided at company expense. This was and is for unskilled labor. He was making $8 something an hour. I believe the two companies here hire mostly illegal aliens and some part-time college help.

We need jobs worthy of making a better wage, the ones that our government sold to foreign countries to feather their own nests!

Many here must work 12 hour shifts, almost impossible for many to be on their feet that many hours and taking off work is next to impossible, missing 3 days in a year from work gets one "let go", vacation is on their schedule and when you have earned 2 weeks, one week must be taken at a time. And, still, many can't earn enough to keep the bills paid.

Many places do send people home early to keep the hours down, big box stores, the ones that we subsidize because someone getting less than 30 hours generally gets public assistance.

It is a mess. For that those don't want to give Trump a chance, seriously, it is time to be a mature adult and think for yourself rather than depending on CNN or MSNBC as they are making their followers look foolish!
Sounds like Republican heaven. I have been through all that in a right to work state - and I went through that WAY before Obama. All you describe happens as a result of Republican policies. But hey, Kansas keeps voting Republican. So enjoy it.

Have you called Immigration on the 2 manufacturers hiring illegals?

Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
That is incredibly arrogant. I say that despite having advanced skill sets in demand. I make no illusion that either of us are such specially blessed snowflakes. The average human utilizes about 10% of their capacity (brain). It could well be, people with advanced skill sets, have used 15%, while the WM stock guy used 7%. That is likely not something locked in stone, nor doable solely due to iq differentials.

In short, I suspect how hard each of us runs to first base, in the education/training/work-ethic building formative years, matter more than your arrogant, given just to you, blessing.
I like to use the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 way of thinking about our potential for being competitive in the labor marketplace. (Yes this sounds a lot like some of the concepts from The Bell Curve but I reject their race-based conclusions).

1/3 have been born with the natural gifts of intelligence and aptitude that will allow them to succeed and prosper in most cases, without any special effort. If you are fortunate enough to be in this situation, you have many options for employment. Unless you decide to do something self destructive, odds are you are going to be successful and secure.

1/3 have an average dispensation of intelligence and aptitude. This segment can succeed with diligence, luck and hard work. This is the segment where "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" has some relevance. This is the segment that Horatio Alger was talking about.

The remaining 1/3, with lower than average intelligence and aptitude, are really out of luck in today's economy. No amount of education, training or hard work is going to make this segment successful and secure in 21st century America. As automation moves our manufacturing away from manual labor, there are very few options for this segment to be able to contribute in a way that will earn sufficient compensation to remain solvent and insured.

It's a simplistic way of describing a very complex situation but this is the reality of the situation.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
By repealing ACA which added costs via employer mandates for employees averaging 30 or more hours.
or how to work 38 hours and get no health insurance instead of 30. Health insurance is worth ~$5 to ~$10 an hour at 40 hours a week. To the high skill worker that is an added cost. To a low skill worker it is near doubling their cost. Half this country has an IQ below 100. 25% below 90. Most of them are not going to be high skill workers. There HAS to be a dignified path for them with "hamburger" health insurance so they will see a doc and not ignore bad warnings.

Noones plans control costs. Not Obama. Not the GOP. Insurance is already not forbidden across state borders and many states have already limited tort to little effect.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Oh Boy! Can't wait! Trump Care is coming.

Your box of Band-Aids and bottle of aspirin should be there soon, scalpels will be available for the DIY surgery part of the program.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Rather work 2 16's and a 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections