Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 03:44 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,339,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
So pictures of ruined buildings explains why Hillary Clinton got nearly three million more votes?
Focus. Concentrate real hard. Find your inner peace.

Are your there? Great! Now, pay attention. The candidates ran their campaigns to maximize their chances of winning with the election process in place in the United States - the electoral college. If the US had a different election process, like the popular vote, they would have run their campaigns differently. Hence, no one really knows how Trump (or Clinton) would have done in a popular vote election. The number of popular votes in an election based on the electoral college is totally meaningless.

Now, please, please, stop with this popular vote drivel. Every time you bring it up you're basically proclaiming that you don't understand how US elections work. You've heard the expression: "Its better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"? Learn it. Love it. Live it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 03:58 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post

Are your there? Great! Now, pay attention. The candidates ran their campaigns to maximize their chances of winning with the election process in place in the United States - the electoral college. If the US had a different election process, like the popular vote, they would have run their campaigns differently. Hence, no one really knows how Trump (or Clinton) would have done in a popular vote election. The number of popular votes in an election based on the electoral college is totally meaningless.

Now, please, please, stop with this popular vote drivel. Every time you bring it up you're basically proclaiming that you don't understand how US elections work. You've heard the expression: "Its better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"? Learn it. Love it. Live it.
I've never paid much attention to that one -it's the language of the status quo, meant to humiliate people in to silence and submission. I take my hat off to those who go in over their head...... and F*** silence! -that's what the grave is for.

An expression I'm more familiar with, is "one person, one vote". Anything else is social engineering.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-31-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-31-2016, 04:09 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
The answer is the HC was the first choice of the people
Which is a meaningless statement, given that the prize/goal was the EC vote not the overall popular vote. If the prize/goal had been the popular vote, Trump (and likely Hillary as well) would have campaigned differently.

'the HC'....lol.....Is that a nod to royalty?....Are you one of her 'subjects' ?

Old 12-31-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:

You beat me to it. I didn't notice this post #31 of yours until my somewhat similar post #33 posted (I actually prefer your post ).

Old 12-31-2016, 04:15 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
The answer is the HC was the first choice of the people, and DT was the first choice of the system.

Sure, that's your system, and your business. But it isn't correct to say the people chose to put DT in power. Twas the system that gave DT the job.

the people of 30 states put DT in power compare to 20 states for Hillary........30 is more than 20.....we don't have 1 national election for President, we have 50 independent elections for President, one for each state and each of the 50 election its independent from each other, meaning the total votes in California has nothing to do with the other 49 states......a candidate can win California by 4 million votes or 1,000, they still get the same electoral votes, they don't get a bonus for winning by a large margin in 1 state.

if I win 30 games and you win 20 games but you win by a wider margin in a few of your victories, I still win the division and have a better record than you.

Trump won the popular vote of the people in 30 states and Hillary won the popular vote of the people in 20 states.

if you can't understand our electoral college then that's not my problem.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:21 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
I love it when I hear folks saying Hillary "won" the popular election. What did she "win"? What was the "prize". Abso-f'ing-lutely nothin'.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:

The EC is an anachronism left over from a different time and highly modified from the founding father intent. It is simply a non repairable quirk in the Constitution.

Normally it makes no difference as the popular vote and the EC align.

This time thanks to Comey and the Russians Trump managed a minuscule victory in the EC while losing the popular vote badly.

He is President but always with an asterisk.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:26 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The EC is an anachronism left over from a different time and highly modified from the founding father intent. It is simply a non repairable quirk in the Constitution. .
The electoral college isn't a "quirk". It was one of the cornerstones of the agreement where all 13 newly formed "States" agreed to form a Federal Union.

Hillary's supporters were all crowing about Trump having no path to 270. Then, amazingly, he proved them absolutely wrong. So what do they do? Start to cry about the US Constitution being unfair. Well that is their problem. They were beaten.

They can continue to stew about it, stop and figure out why they lost instead of blaming made up boogymen like the Russians, or change it. Your choice. The rest of the USA is laughing at the nonsense.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't think Obama knows this.
Priceless! +1

Old 12-31-2016, 04:40 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The electoral college isn't a "quirk". It was one of the cornerstones of the agreement where all 13 newly formed "States" agreed to form a Federal Union.

Hillary's supporters were all crowing about Trump having no path to 270. Then, amazingly, he proved them absolutely wrong. So what do they do? Start to cry about the US Constitution being unfair. Well that is their problem. They were beaten.

They can continue to stew about it, stop and figure out why they lost instead of blaming made up boogymen like the Russians, or change it. Your choice. The rest of the USA is laughing at the nonsense.
Of course it is a quirk. The present Electoral College bears no resemblance to the original one. It simple is a piece of the Constitution that cannot be practically changed because it favors more than 13 states which can block changing it. So the only way would be to rewrite the Constitution. I believe that wll eventually occur but no time soon. And it will likely be the Senate that drives the issue not the EC.

And he won off of Comey and the Russians. Just barely. Trump is President with an asterisk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections