Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I suppose it will largely depend on how he does his first couple years, but if he is a disaster, I think the Republicans will mount a primary challenge in 2020.

What do you think, and who do you think would mount the challenge? Ted Cruz? Rand Paul?
I think you are wasting your time.

Trump hasn't even taken the office yet and here you are talking about 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 PM

491 posts, read 319,608 times
Trump might get primaried in 2020. This primary challenge may come from either his right (by somebody like Ted Cruz, Ben Sasse, or Mike Lee) or his left (by somebody like Marco Rubio, John Kasich, or Lindsey Graham). I really don't think that a primary challenge coming from Trump's left has any chance of succeeding. And it would certainly be very difficult for Trump to be defeated by a more conservative challenger for the 2020 GOP Nomination, though perhaps such a challenge could succeed if Trump doesn't fulfill many of his campaign promises.

However, I think that the topic of this thread misses the bigger point. Normally, an incumbent president is doomed if he receives a credible challenge from within his own party (witness what happened when Gerald Ford was challenged by Ronald Reagan in 1976, Jimmy Carter was challenged by Ted Kennedy in 1980, and George H.W. Bush was challenged by Pat Buchanan in 1992). However, we have to realize that Trump managed to defy all the conventional rules of politics in 2016. Thus, even if he is challenged for the Republican nomination in 2020, such a challenge could end up having little impact on his re-election chances.

Apart from a primary challenge, I'm curious if an anti-Trump Republican will run (as an Independent candidate) in the 2020 general election. If such a challenge gets underway, it could siphon off enough votes to throw the election to the Democrat. However, even here, such a challenge may still not end up having an effect on Trump's ability to win in 2020. Remember that in 1948, Harry Truman was not the only Democrat who ran in that year's general election. Two independent candidates--Strom Thurmond and Henry Wallace--also ran, yet Truman still managed to win re-election.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I suppose it will largely depend on how he does his first couple years, but if he is a disaster, I think the Republicans will mount a primary challenge in 2020.

What do you think, and who do you think would mount the challenge? Ted Cruz? Rand Paul?
of course they will and why not? I don't think this takes a brain even to figure out. As for who, that is anyone's guess; maybe either of the two you mentioned but unlikely, maybe Rubio or maybe someone we haven't even thought about; a female might be a choice or a minority other than Cruz.

More important: why are you even bringing this up when he hasn't even taken office? I can't believe some people. Give him time, he might be the greatest think since electricity or he may decide on his own not to run again. But for now, lets do our best to support him and wish him well for our country's sake.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

This is RICH!!!

The guy has not even taken office to see how he governs and the warmongering globalist, already planning 2020, as if their recalled crystal balls have all the sudden fixed themselves.
From what we have learned from this entire ordeal. 180º is going to happen, from what that recalled crystal ball has told you.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,326,602 times
Quote:

If Russia doesn't interferes, Trump will be easily defeated. Trump didn't run a campaign of policy in 2016 and will not run one in 2020.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If Russia doesn't interferes, Trump will be easily defeated. Trump didn't run a campaign of policy in 2016 and will not run one in 2020.

Where have you been?

Trumps campaign was all about policy change after policy change.

Hillary's campaign was, attack Trump on fabricated dirt and lies.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where have you been?

Trumps campaign was all about policy change after policy change.

Hillary's campaign was, attack Trump on fabricated dirt and lies.
You are confusing campaign rhetoric with 'policy."

Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You are confusing campaign rhetoric with 'policy."
Can you cite even one advertisement where Hilliary attacked Trump on an issue?

Old 01-11-2017, 07:25 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Trump might get primaried in 2020. This primary challenge may come from either his right (by somebody like Ted Cruz, Ben Sasse, or Mike Lee) or his left (by somebody like Marco Rubio, John Kasich, or Lindsey Graham). I really don't think that a primary challenge coming from Trump's left has any chance of succeeding. And it would certainly be very difficult for Trump to be defeated by a more conservative challenger for the 2020 GOP Nomination, though perhaps such a challenge could succeed if Trump doesn't fulfill many of his campaign promises.

However, I think that the topic of this thread misses the bigger point. Normally, an incumbent president is doomed if he receives a credible challenge from within his own party (witness what happened when Gerald Ford was challenged by Ronald Reagan in 1976, Jimmy Carter was challenged by Ted Kennedy in 1980, and George H.W. Bush was challenged by Pat Buchanan in 1992). However, we have to realize that Trump managed to defy all the conventional rules of politics in 2016. Thus, even if he is challenged for the Republican nomination in 2020, such a challenge could end up having little impact on his re-election chances.

Apart from a primary challenge, I'm curious if an anti-Trump Republican will run (as an Independent candidate) in the 2020 general election. If such a challenge gets underway, it could siphon off enough votes to throw the election to the Democrat. However, even here, such a challenge may still not end up having an effect on Trump's ability to win in 2020. Remember that in 1948, Harry Truman was not the only Democrat who ran in that year's general election. Two independent candidates--Strom Thurmond and Henry Wallace--also ran, yet Truman still managed to win re-election.
I don't think we would see a challenge based on the desire for a more ideologically Conservative candidate. Mike Pence is definitely to the right of Trump in ideology, and I don't think many Republicans have a grudge against Pence.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:34 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Trump will impeached by his own party waaaaay before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections