U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:13 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,309,443 times

Advertisements

A nation already drained by literally $millions daily going down the Iraq hole. Yesterday's stock market pounding & clearly our nation is going into a serious recession/inflation double whammy.

Bush will not be president in 9 months! What has he done for Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 01:48 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,712,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What has he done for Americans?
He's protected us from those awful islamojohadists who want to drop a bomb in your backyard. Of course, doing nothing might have resulted in the same outcome.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
It is really the housing bubble that is causing the stock market down turn.That started along time before Bush was in office.The next crunch is people financing life styles they can't afford on credit cards etc.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,309,443 times
The issue is what have we gained under President Bush & not who's fault it is? Naturally, Bush & Republicans are not responsible for everything good or bad.

So the question is: Have we been better off under President Bush?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,560,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The issue is what have we gained under President Bush & not who's fault it is? Naturally, Bush & Republicans are not responsible for everything good or bad.

So the question is: Have we been better off under President Bush?

Better off than WHAT!?!?!

Bangladesh ?
Ya.

China?

Ya

Iraq? Oh Ya!

Better off than 8 years ago?

NO!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:46 AM

6,614 posts, read 10,675,825 times
On the positive side, tax rates remain low or are lower and free trade has increased. That's about it.

On the negative side, the spending side of fiscal policy, the corruption and mismanagement in procuring fossil fuel energy supplies from abroad (i.e. the Iraq war), the suicidal monetary and credit policies leading to a gross imbalance between domestic production and consumption, bogus reporting of inflation.

The US faces a very serious energy dilemma, especially in terms of private vehicle transport: fossil fuels are still by far the most efficient source, alternatives are way behind. But obviously the Iraq war was not the most efficient way of securing fossil fuel supplies in a more competitive and dangerous world. Also, if we dedicate more resources to alternative energy research, who knows what good may come out of it?

Going forward, I hope for:

1) a better mix of foreign policy and domestic energy/transport policy;

2) no or very little tinkering with taxation policy, because it's just about right, though it could be a lot simpler.

3) a change in the statutes on the Federal Reserve, requiring it to shift its focus from growth to inflation and, more generally, to a better balance between domestic production and consumption.

4) in health care, either a full-blown reform to a single-payer system (only in that case would I consider an increase in taxes justifiable) or full-blown market competition, including international competition. Of the two I prefer the latter, but certainly no to the proposals to shift from one overpriced hodgepodge to another overpriced hodgepodge.

Last edited by bale002; 03-02-2008 at 04:13 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,482,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It is really the housing bubble that is causing the stock market down turn.That started along time before Bush was in office.The next crunch is people financing life styles they can't afford on credit cards etc.
the housing market bubble started in 2000/20001. Can't blame bush for that though, thats our friend Greenspan

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,347,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
the housing market bubble started in 2000/20001. Can't blame bush for that though, thats our friend Greenspan
It was just a little froth! I have to say your right. Greenspan and his free money caused this mess. Now we have Ben crashing the dollar to save his wall street banker friends Oh, and for all of the people that think the housing market will come back, IT WAS A BUBBLE !!!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:44 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,482,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
It was just a little froth! I have to say your right. Greenspan and his free money caused this mess. Now we have Ben crashing the dollar to save his wall street banker friends Oh, and for all of the people that think the housing market will come back, IT WAS A BUBBLE !!!
rofl, yeah that comment from Greenspan was baffling wasn't it? There are speeches from Greenspan from I think 2001/2002 where he is quoted hearding investors into investing in mortgage financial vehicles. It was posted on city data I THINK in the 2008 Florida housing thread.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,347,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
rofl, yeah that comment from Greenspan was baffling wasn't it? There are speeches from Greenspan from I think 2001/2002 where he is quoted hearding investors into investing in mortgage financial vehicles. It was posted on city data I THINK in the 2008 Florida housing thread.
It was the Fed that was talking people into the exotic mortgages. What in the hell do we have the fed there for in the first place? A great parting gift would be to get rid of the fed, Its just lobbyest and a waste of tax money. Replace it with a monkey and a football!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or