Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:47 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Too bad the Republicans didn't have the balls to get rid of their candidate who was continually going around saying inappropriate things.
You mean, the one who won the election against a candidate who was considered unbeatable? I'm guessing they're okay with their lack of balls right now, if that's what you want to call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:57 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You mean, the one who won the election against a candidate who was considered unbeatable? I'm guessing they're okay with their lack of balls right now, if that's what you want to call it.
They're ok with Nero fiddling* while our country burns? Ok for them, then, but the rest of us remain screwed.

* for instance, Drumpf taking the National Prayer Breakfast as a time to try to talk about reality tv show ratings and pathetically boast that his penis, I mean his ratings, were bigger

Old 02-02-2017, 12:41 PM

468 posts, read 553,312 times
Ha! How ironic. I wouldn't condemn him without investigating but this is a major point up for discussion. I'm for rights and all the rest. I would say I'm open minded but not radical in any direction. FOr instance I thiNk religious groups like to distort studies to a fashion and the gays understandably think they're being attacked. I used to argue with them & I saw it looked like I was against them although I was not. I just learned to chill and let things run their course. It's near impossible to have a decent debate these days without anyone & I'm not partisan to either.

Putting a bunch of different people together and convincing them they're all compatible and never at odds with one another is a recipe for madness.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
The most regressive party in American History... and get this, they call themselves Progressive. The party of projecting their thoughts on you, in the game of opposite day.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:20 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
DNC boots candidate from chairmanship race for criticizing Ellison’s Islamic faith

In a Jan. 5 email to The Hill, Vincent Tolliver, a former House candidate in Arkansas, said that Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress, should not be chairman because of Islamic positions on homosexuality.

“His being a Muslim is precisely why DNC voters should not vote for him,” Tolliver wrote. “Muslims discriminate against gays. Islamic law is clear on the subject, and being gay is a direct violation of it. In some Muslim countries, being gay is a crime punishable by death.”

"The Democratic Party welcomes all Americans from all backgrounds. What we do not welcome is people discriminating against others based on who they are or how they worship," interim Chairwoman Donna Brazile said in a statement to The Hill.

But... his point is that the religion that Ellison is a part of... discriminates. He is correct. But Islam is more important right now than LGBT issues in the DNC ranks.

Don't expect that to apply to all religions, because if you change Islam to Christianity in the above statement... it's a whole different issue.
Ooooh. He shouldn't have said that. Then again, it was gutsy to say it. There should be more people who say what they think on policy matters. It does seem relevant if the chairman is against homosexuality, and homosexual rights are part of the platform.

Then again, that doesn't necessarily mean that Ellison is against homosexuality. Some say that Christianity is against homosexuality, too.

I happen to think that's a mistake, too (Ellison), but then I'm not in that party.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:42 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
DNC boots candidate from chairmanship race for criticizing Ellison’s Islamic faith

In a Jan. 5 email to The Hill, Vincent Tolliver, a former House candidate in Arkansas, said that Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress, should not be chairman because of Islamic positions on homosexuality.

“His being a Muslim is precisely why DNC voters should not vote for him,” Tolliver wrote. “Muslims discriminate against gays. Islamic law is clear on the subject, and being gay is a direct violation of it. In some Muslim countries, being gay is a crime punishable by death.”

"The Democratic Party welcomes all Americans from all backgrounds. What we do not welcome is people discriminating against others based on who they are or how they worship," interim Chairwoman Donna Brazile said in a statement to The Hill.

But... his point is that the religion that Ellison is a part of... discriminates. He is correct. But Islam is more important right now than LGBT issues in the DNC ranks.

Don't expect that to apply to all religions, because if you change Islam to Christianity in the above statement... it's a whole different issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yup. As one of the comments on Powerline said - Muslims trump gays, lesbians, and the rest of the alphabet in the Progressive hierarchy of victimhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Personally I am 100% in favor of gay marriage and rights.

However, my advice to anyone facing a loss of a job or harassment over an anti-gay marriage position is to quickly claim to be Muslim and convert -- all of the flack will go away instantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
LOL -- liberal hypocrisy at its best.

If Christians don't feel comfortable baking a wedding cake for a gay couple, they should be publically ostracized and their business boycotted. But if a Muslim congressman happens to be a democrat who belongs to and supports a religion that kills and tortures gays, not a problem......
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It was the liberal battle of the special interest groups and the Muslims won, Gays lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Ooooh. He shouldn't have said that. Then again, it was gutsy to say it. There should be more people who say what they think on policy matters. It does seem relevant if the chairman is against homosexuality, and homosexual rights are part of the platform.

Then again, that doesn't necessarily mean that Ellison is against homosexuality. Some say that Christianity is against homosexuality, too.

I happen to think that's a mistake, too (Ellison), but then I'm not in that party.
Virtually everyone in this thread--the above posters included--could stand to examine Rep. Ellison's actual record on LGBT rights.

https://ellison.house.gov/about/cong...on-memberships

He's a member of the LGBT Equality Caucus, as well as the Progressive Caucus, the Pro-Choice Caucus, and the Human Rights Caucus--all of which promote equality.

https://ellison.house.gov/issues/civ...ender-equality

Ellison has promoted marriage equality, open service of LGBT troops in the military, hate crime protections for victims of crime on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, and protection for LGBT workers from discrimination. Ellison was one of the 77 members of Congress who urged Obama to suspend all Don't Ask, Don't Tell investigations and discharges 5 months after his first inauguration.

Just like Christians, Muslims have a range of political, religious, and social views. While I'm sure some posters in this thread disagree with him, Ellison is on the right side of LGBT rights.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:28 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
They're ok with Nero fiddling* while our country burns? Ok for them, then, but the rest of us remain screwed.
Have you been living with the Amish or something? Nero's second term ended two weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections