U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2017, 10:27 AM
 
6,833 posts, read 2,446,736 times
Reputation: 3441

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I get my information from many sources, "skippy," and some of them are among the best legal minds in America. Where do you get your information? MSNBC? CNN?
If you're quoting Donald Trump claims verbatim without checking them first for their veracity, which you did in your ridiculous first post in this thread, you have nothing remotely in common with the "best legal minds".

You have more in common with one of the Chinese youth from the '60's waving their little red book of "Quotations from Chairman Mao" than anyone with half a brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2017, 07:58 PM
 
12,639 posts, read 7,272,982 times
Reputation: 7449
The only thing that disappeared in 2016 was Bureaucat's "Blue Wall". Surprised he's still posting after being proven so wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 12:03 PM
 
44,174 posts, read 17,603,132 times
Reputation: 18619
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The only thing that disappeared in 2016 was Bureaucat's "Blue Wall". Surprised he's still posting after being proven so wrong.
Fascinating that. And creating a topic based on Nate Silver's nonsense as well.

Silver have us endless scientific analysis as to why Hillary would win. And then got it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,349 posts, read 6,131,713 times
Reputation: 11178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
50 sovereign states? Oh god u would have known that is completely false if you didn't sleep through Civics 101.
States are separate sovereigns; look up the legal concept, which has been embraced by the Supreme Court consistently (this is why, for instance, both the state and federal government can bring criminal charges against someone for the same crime/underlying facts). Are states completely sovereign? No, but nor is the federal government. Each has powers granted/limited by the Constitution. What it really boils down to, though, is that the states and federal government exercise shared sovereignty over the United States based on our Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 06:47 AM
 
4,666 posts, read 2,604,714 times
Reputation: 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
They don't refer to them as "purple" anymore. Now they are just "gay."
I'm trying to understand your posts. What exactly do you think they mean by purple?

You do understand the OP is saying that the majority of the US counties have become more conservative right? As the article states 1,196 counties went to one candidate or the other by over 50%, and the vast majority of those went to Trump, compared to 2012 when only 96 counties went to one candidate by more then 50%. Outside the blue areas, the country is becoming more conservative, and the blue areas are becoming more liberal.

I understand your hesitation to trust the website, they have been wrong all along. But the data behind the article isn't based on polls and opinions, its from the official voting results. I personally would have found a different link to back the story.


To sum it up, the red states are becoming more red and the blue states are becoming more blue, do you disagree with that? I thought that had been the rights argument all along, that the Democrats had lost middle America. The website is just confirming that is true based on the voting data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 07:01 AM
 
77,554 posts, read 33,038,709 times
Reputation: 15434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm trying to understand your posts. What exactly do you think they mean by purple?

You do understand the OP is saying that the majority of the US counties have become more conservative right? As the article states 1,196 counties went to one candidate or the other by over 50%, and the vast majority of those went to Trump, compared to 2012 when only 96 counties went to one candidate by more then 50%. Outside the blue areas, the country is becoming more conservative, and the blue areas are becoming more liberal.
You are mistaken if you think Trump won because of Conservatives. Trump won as a protests to the "Conservatives" in Congress currently.

For those who support Trump you are also allowing the very thing that brought down Obama happen to Trump. Ryan will be Trump's Pelosi.

Trump has never been a "Conservative". People didn't flock to Trump, they ran from Hillary. If not for California, Hillary is defeated absolutely embarrassingly. If there is a decent candidate these people that didn't turn up for Hillary will show up again.

Quote:
I understand your hesitation to trust the website, they have been wrong all along. But the data behind the article isn't based on polls and opinions, its from the official voting results. I personally would have found a different link to back the story.


To sum it up, the red states are becoming more red and the blue states are becoming more blue, do you disagree with that? I thought that had been the rights argument all along, that the Democrats had lost middle America. The website is just confirming that is true based on the voting data.
I disagree with that. The vote on both sides was the same, the (R)'s were simply more committed. The (R)'s rejected their party also. They were more splintered than the (D)'s and Trump was able to capitalize on that. The GOP was caught off guard and wasn't able to cheat exclusively for one candidate to beat Trump.

If you want Trump to remain after four years you had better do something about Ryan and McConnell because with time on their side they will bring him down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 08:44 AM
 
4,666 posts, read 2,604,714 times
Reputation: 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are mistaken if you think Trump won because of Conservatives. Trump won as a protests to the "Conservatives" in Congress currently.

For those who support Trump you are also allowing the very thing that brought down Obama happen to Trump. Ryan will be Trump's Pelosi.

Trump has never been a "Conservative". People didn't flock to Trump, they ran from Hillary. If not for California, Hillary is defeated absolutely embarrassingly. If there is a decent candidate these people that didn't turn up for Hillary will show up again.



I disagree with that. The vote on both sides was the same, the (R)'s were simply more committed. The (R)'s rejected their party also. They were more splintered than the (D)'s and Trump was able to capitalize on that. The GOP was caught off guard and wasn't able to cheat exclusively for one candidate to beat Trump.

If you want Trump to remain after four years you had better do something about Ryan and McConnell because with time on their side they will bring him down.
I shouldn't have used red state and conservative interchangeably, that's my fault for the confusion.

I don't support Trump and I don't believe he is necessarily conservative either.

Yes the Democrats didn't rally around Clinton, that is true. She was not a good candidate in my opinion.

But, on the actual purpose of what the thread is about, I do believe the nation is more divided then ever. The Republicans have the majority in most of the state House of Representatives and house senates. And they aren't just barely holding the majority, in many states they have 60%+ of the Representatives. In the blue states, its the polar opposite, Democrats hold onto large majorities. Less and less of the US is politically in play. Now, I believe that could change anytime, but for now, the US is very divided.

I personally believe the Democrats moved too far to the left, if they come back to the center they could potentially be able to start winning back farmers and manufacturing centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 AM
 
77,554 posts, read 33,038,709 times
Reputation: 15434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I shouldn't have used red state and conservative interchangeably, that's my fault for the confusion.

I don't support Trump and I don't believe he is necessarily conservative either.

Yes the Democrats didn't rally around Clinton, that is true. She was not a good candidate in my opinion.

But, on the actual purpose of what the thread is about, I do believe the nation is more divided then ever. The Republicans have the majority in most of the state House of Representatives and house senates. And they aren't just barely holding the majority, in many states they have 60%+ of the Representatives. In the blue states, its the polar opposite, Democrats hold onto large majorities. Less and less of the US is politically in play. Now, I believe that could change anytime, but for now, the US is very divided.

I personally believe the Democrats moved too far to the left, if they come back to the center they could potentially be able to start winning back farmers and manufacturing centers.
They are losing because they are Republicans that want to tell you where you can pee.

The people support many of the positions the (D)'s claim to support, the problem is once elected they do the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 12:13 PM
 
412 posts, read 256,932 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Upset? I'm not upset at all. I just responded to a view that isn't based on reality. Believe what you want.

Trump earned 306 electoral votes (small point). Because a couple of electors went rogue is irrelevant. The "popular vote" is also irrelevant, because we don't elect the President by popular vote. We vote as 50 sovereign states (I know you've heard this before), and that's the only vote that counts. Trump won the popular vote in more states than Hillary; hence, the huge electoral victory (landslide). Nothing else matters.
A flaw in the system, which along with denying millions their vote, puts a guy who is the most widely hated guy in the history of the system in a position to put his little signature on one executive order after another, designed to wreck while also exploiting the system to personally profit. And avoid exposing his tax returns which could conceivably prove felonies in his past.

"Sovereign" So that doesn't make these attempts to clobber rebellious states with any means at hand? I think his fans ONLY care about sovereignty up until the oath of office. After that, it is all centralized bludgeoning for any reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top