Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,860,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That was a reference to the fact that our football team (which is D1-FCS, formerly known as D1-AA) beat Michigan at the Big House in the opening game of this past football season. Michigan had never played a team from 1-AA before, and they were ranked #5 in the preseason. It was a pretty huge upset. Just injecting a little levity.

I'm an App State grad too! I'm all for the underdog to come out on top! Nothing beat the stunned looks on all their faces at the end of that game. Back to the post, it's only fair that those states have their voices heard. the DNC is private and should not cause 2 states to not be heard in the primaries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,526,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Karen Finney from the DNC just said that the DNC would officially support a do-over or some sort of an arrangement in Florida and Michigan to seat their delegates.
Funny ... Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm is on record (3/4/08 interview on the Warren Ballentine Show) as saying that Michigan doesn't have the money or the resources to set up another election.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:38 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I'm an App State grad too! I'm all for the underdog to come out on top! Nothing beat the stunned looks on all their faces at the end of that game. Back to the post, it's only fair that those states have their voices heard. the DNC is private and should not cause 2 states to not be heard in the primaries!
True, the DNC is private. However, it is also the principal body in charge of establishing rules for the Democratic primaries. The primaries themselves may be run by the state, but the DNC does have a place in all of this. It's not as if they're totally separate.

Still, I say again that I am ok with a redo.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:42 PM

296 posts, read 1,178,384 times
How is it fair?

It's moronic.

What was the point of the DNC even sanctioning these renegade states in the first place if they don't have the guts to stand by their ruling?

Makes the party look bad, in my opinion.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,764,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Funny ... Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm is on record (3/4/08 interview on the Warren Ballentine Show) as saying that Michigan doesn't have the money or the resources to set up another election.
Maybe Obama could slide some of his cool $50 Million over for a re-do.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM
BVH BVH started this thread

944 posts, read 600,566 times
Quote:
Don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger.

I believe that Karen Finney also suggested that the DNC might fund the new race as well. I don't know all the details. She was only on briefly following Bush's endorsement of McCain. It was supposed to be Howard Dean, but he was "called away" and couldn't be there so she went on in his place.
Florida & Michigan Might Play Election Role They Wanted After All | Garling Gauge (http://garlinggauge.com/2008/03/05/florida-michigan-dem-parties-might-play-election-role-they-wanted-after-all/ - broken link)

Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,798,995 times
Provide your sources please.....

Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,526,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger.

I believe that Karen Finney also suggested that the DNC might fund the new race as well. I don't know all the details. She was only on briefly following Bush's endorsement of McCain. It was supposed to be Howard Dean, but he was "called away" and couldn't be there so she went on in his place.
Florida & Michigan Might Play Election Role They Wanted After All | Garling Gauge (http://garlinggauge.com/2008/03/05/florida-michigan-dem-parties-might-play-election-role-they-wanted-after-all/ - broken link)
No worries. I was, however, a little annoyed with Governor Grandholm continually whining about Michigan not having the money for a re-vote, yet demanding that something be done for the delegates to count.

A re-vote is the best chance they're gonna get. She needs to take it.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM
BVH BVH started this thread

944 posts, read 600,566 times
Quote:
No worries. I was, however, a little annoyed with Governor Grandholm continually whining about Michigan not having the money for a re-vote, yet demanding that something be done for the delegates to count.

A re-vote is the best chance they're gonna get. She needs to take it.
The only problem I have ever had with a re-vote in Michigan is the waste of taxpayer dollars. I disagree with Florida needing to hold one since they were ALL on the ballots and that Obama was foolish removing his name from the ballot in Michigan in the first place.

I would rather have a re-vote than either allegations that Hillary "stole" the nomination when she finally gets it or those voter's voices not getting to be heard.

Now, let me go on record as saying in my opinion they should be primaries and not caucuses, however. Primaries allow voters to vote quickly and at their leisure, unlike caucuses. If Obama chooses not to concede to that stipulation, I believe the drama over Florida and Michigan will just keep going.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,257,182 times
Wasn't this all settled when the states both decided to go against the DNC and face the consequences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections