U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM

33,913 posts, read 18,438,846 times

Advertisements

The electoral college made him President?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 PM

18,639 posts, read 7,247,279 times
Thanks, OP. Will check it out.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 PM

9,522 posts, read 7,777,554 times
Oh, my, where to start...
I, and just about everybody I know, decided long before Comey or the dreaded Russian hacking story that we could not, would not, vote for hillary. Not now, not ever!
Oh, yes, here in Montana we had the choice of Johnson, Stein, or an even worse nut job who shall remain nameless (mainly because he was so off the wall he was eminently forgettable!).
So, in the end, we voted for trump.

"Except for that pesky Constitution thing that keeps getting in his way."
Exactly where in the Constitution does it say that his EO restricting immigrants is forbidden? We already know exactly where in the United States Code it is allowed, and we know where in the United States Code it shows that the courts have no jurisdiction over such a proclamation.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 PM

66,140 posts, read 33,571,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I just finished reading a very good book titled, "How Trump Won." It was written by 2 men, a historian (Schweikart) and a reporter (Pollak).

The reporter (from Breitbart) travelled with Trump and the other campaign reporters on the general election campaign trail.

The historian talks about the pre-general election campaign (pre-primaries and primaries), data and the polling (fascinating). I highly recommend it for people who post here to this Elections sub-forum. It's not about lefty/righty issues at all but more about behind-the-scenes stuff as it relates to processes and the Trump campaign.

From the reporter you get the perspective of riding the press plane/bus, crowd and protestor comments, going from one location to another especially in the last week. Strategy, however, is what I found most interesting especially the polling trends (what the Trump data team saw in the data that lead to where they campaigned) and what Trump said to the crowds depending on where he campaigned). It mentions all of the scandals (Trump's and Clinton's) but not judging either one of them pro or con but only in regards to how Trump moved up and down in the polls because of the scandals. It talks about crowd sizes. It talks about reporting on election night. It talks about the ever-changing non-support/support Trump got from Republican elites/Never Trumpers. It talks about the news media on Election night and the debates (but not the content of the answers). It mentions how the 16 Republican opponents ran their campaigns, unsuccessfully.

The Trump data team assumed the Clinton campaign saw the same data they did in their own private polling and the Trump team wonders if the professional pollers and poll reporters swayed Team Clinton into making bad last week campaigning decisions.

In other words, it's the perfect book for Election sub-forum political junkies.

If there was a book titled "How Clinton Lost" written the same way but from the perspective of the Clinton campaign, I would read that, too. It's that interesting.

Much better insider book.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Presid...der_B01MTV4G5K

Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 PM

885 posts, read 1,088,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Except for that pesky Constitution thing that keeps getting in his way...
The constitution only applies to citizens, not people who are trying to invade our country and topple out government and replace it with Sharia law.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:58 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Since Trump is president,however,I do not agree with Federal judges blocking him with the immigration ban and other things,since he is the president and is entitled to make HIS decisions.He was elected in a fair manner.
That logic Didnt seem to bother the right Re-Obama when they spent 8 years of obstruction,voting no on everything and an unprecedented 500 filibusters in an effort to impede that Presidents every decision.He was also elected in a fair manner twice.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,125,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The only odd thing i noticed about this election is that Clinton got more votes that Trump,but alas thanks to the Electorial College we got Trump.

Since Trump is president,however,I do not agree with Federal judges blocking him with the immigration ban and other things,since he is the president and is entitled to make HIS decisions.He was elected in a fair manner.
Electoral college has been in place for hundreds of years. It's so SF, NYC, BOS, LA, Chicago, etc don't get to always pick the president. I grew up in NJ and I can't tell you how many there just vote Democrat because they feel it's "the right thing to do." And generally speaking, they aren't socially liberal either (like against legal weed and whatnot.)

Immigration ban is a weird one. I still don't know what I feel is the right thing to do. Healthcare on the other hand? Yeah, definitely gut Obamacare. Premiums are going through the roof.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 AM

34,587 posts, read 33,575,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm just concerned about that particular author putting himself into the story. The book may be interesting but Roger Stone is an interesting character with the key word being character. I'm not sure about him.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM

381 posts, read 131,212 times
The book does seem interesting. I looked up the book on Amazon and also saw the book by Roger Stone that BentBow posted. These will be the next two books I'll be reading. My dad likes to read political books so he might enjoy them as well. Thanks

Old 03-24-2017, 07:34 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,349,738 times
He won by being a populist. Then once elected became beholden to the right wing of the party. He became president promising not to touch social security and medicare. He promised to help working families. Well folks his con is becoming apparent. The corruption among his staff with Russian help is apparent and well Trump cultist will deny it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections