Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:34 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading a very good book titled, "How Trump Won." It was written by 2 men, a historian (Schweikart) and a reporter (Pollak).

The reporter (from Breitbart) travelled with Trump and the other campaign reporters on the general election campaign trail.

The historian talks about the pre-general election campaign (pre-primaries and primaries), data and the polling (fascinating). I highly recommend it for people who post here to this Elections sub-forum. It's not about lefty/righty issues at all but more about behind-the-scenes stuff as it relates to processes and the Trump campaign.

From the reporter you get the perspective of riding the press plane/bus, crowd and protestor comments, going from one location to another especially in the last week. Strategy, however, is what I found most interesting especially the polling trends (what the Trump data team saw in the data that lead to where they campaigned) and what Trump said to the crowds depending on where he campaigned). It mentions all of the scandals (Trump's and Clinton's) but not judging either one of them pro or con but only in regards to how Trump moved up and down in the polls because of the scandals. It talks about crowd sizes. It talks about reporting on election night. It talks about the ever-changing non-support/support Trump got from Republican elites/Never Trumpers. It talks about the news media on Election night and the debates (but not the content of the answers). It mentions how the 16 Republican opponents ran their campaigns, unsuccessfully.

The Trump data team assumed the Clinton campaign saw the same data they did in their own private polling and the Trump team wonders if the professional pollers and poll reporters swayed Team Clinton into making bad last week campaigning decisions.

In other words, it's the perfect book for Election sub-forum political junkies.

If there was a book titled "How Clinton Lost" written the same way but from the perspective of the Clinton campaign, I would read that, too. It's that interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
The only odd thing i noticed about this election is that Clinton got more votes that Trump,but alas thanks to the Electorial College we got Trump.

Since Trump is president,however,I do not agree with Federal judges blocking him with the immigration ban and other things,since he is the president and is entitled to make HIS decisions.He was elected in a fair manner.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Do we need a book?

Hillary lost because she was a crappy candidate that ran on the same ol same ol Democrat handbook and Obama platform.

She promised us more migrants from dangerous places in the world. Open borders. A crack down on legal gun owners if not a dismantling of the second amendment. Nominating a Liberal judge to the Supreme Court. The end of the Republican party in high office due to her amnesty plans for millions of wanna be Democrat illegal aliens. Turning her back on the military when she left our guys out there to die in Benghazi then went on to lie about it. And not to mention her decades of lies and scandals that have landed lesser people without the last name Clinton in prison.

She should have been running from the Police not running for office.

Trump. Love him, Loathe him or Lump him. He won due to the ground swell of regular people (deplorables) that saw a chance to send a message to DC that they were not happy with the status quo and the direction the country was taking off a cliff.
The people who "Lumped" Trump voted for him because they could not stand the thought of another Clinton in the WH.
No matter how wonderful and qualified they told us she was.

It was Trump's race to win and Hillary's to lose and she did so in grand style.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Do we need a book?

Hillary lost because she was a crappy candidate ...
... and she lost because FBI Director Comey issued his investigation letter just prior to the election, while choosing NOT to mention an on-going investigation into Trump. His letter cost her about 2 points in the polls and she never recovered from that.

Clinton was a weak candidate who did not inspire. That, plus outside foreign interference and Comey's interference, was just enough to sink her in a remarkably close election. Trump barely squeaked out a win by 100,000 spread over just three states, Penn., Wisc. and Minn. Trump's election was a huge fluke and is not the sweeping mandate for change that his supporters think it is.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Do we need a book?
This is a perfect book for political junkies in this forum. C'mon, we had a sticky on polling. This book is not for the ideologue because the positions of the candidates are only mentioned in terms of strategy. It's for people interested in the campaign itself. You might be surprised that the internal polling for Trump wasn't done by any heavy hitters in the polling industry.

State polling was off more than national polling.

Speaking of polling, Real Clear Politics takes a hit. I don't want to say "I told you so" but averaging polls is crappola. For Wisconsin, for example, Trump won by 1%. RCP had Clinton ahead by 6.5%.

The book asks the question of whether the polling was wrong due to bias or the hope of dampening turnout for Trump but the authors say they misinformed the Clinton campaign.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:52 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The only odd thing i noticed about this election is that Clinton got more votes that Trump,but alas thanks to the Electorial College we got Trump.

Since Trump is president,however,I do not agree with Federal judges blocking him with the immigration ban and other things,since he is the president and is entitled to make HIS decisions.He was elected in a fair manner.
"Odd"? You should review how the system works in our country to clear up whatever misconception you have. I take you are a recent citizen and did not attend American schools where such information is taught, it is standard American Government and should have been covered in high school if not earlier.

This should help you catch up to the way the system works: https://www.archives.gov/federal-reg...ege/about.html

Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,131 times
Thank you Laura for your report.

I voted for Hillary in 2008, and O'Bama in 2012. I was a democratic and previously had a bad view of republicans. The thing that turned me was Hillary's Honesty and past scandals. Leading me to a Trump - yes he has his issues, he is a business man who has proven experience to handle money. Since he has taken office - impressed that he is sticking to his campaign promises.

I am sick and tried about hearing Russia this, or Hacking that!!!!! Why isn't anything being done with the information that was discovered about Hillary and Democratic crimes!!!

My $00.02

Old 03-23-2017, 12:09 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Except for that pesky Constitution thing that keeps getting in his way...

Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
... and she lost because FBI Director Comey issued his investigation letter just prior to the election, while choosing NOT to mention an on-going investigation into Trump. His letter cost her about 2 points in the polls and she never recovered from that.

Clinton was a weak candidate who did not inspire. That, plus outside foreign interference and Comey's interference, was just enough to sink her in a remarkably close election. Trump barely squeaked out a win by 100,000 spread over just three states, Penn., Wisc. and Minn. Trump's election was a huge fluke and is not the sweeping mandate for change that his supporters think it is.

Comey came out a second time because Hillary had broken the law and shouldn't have been let off the hook the first time.

What exactly was the foreign interference in the election? I couldn't stand Hillary so Trump got my vote. I'm still waiting for my bottle of Russian vodka... How did Putin influence people to vote for Trump?

Hillary gave the world (our enemies if they cared to look) state secrets on her private server. Are we talking Wiki Leaks and Putin giving them intel that he took from Hillary?

Comey served to remind everyone what a crooked woman Hillary was and that may have cast enough doubt to push Trump over the top.
Did Putin put Comey up to it somehow?
It is dangerous to cross the Clintons and death to Comeys career if she had won.

We knew what Hillary had done in breaking the law and today they are still digging on Trump in unprecedented fashion.

Trumps campaign was amazing in that he galvanized people that would have otherwise never got involved in politics and out to vote.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:31 PM

130 posts, read 71,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Of course that's it. Surely it wasn't that republicans (and some democrats too) voted in record numbers for Trump. I can't figure out if the left loves or hates Comey, it seems to go back and forth every few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections