U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2017, 01:24 PM
 
1,787 posts, read 1,125,055 times
Reputation: 1110

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
agreed, unless Dems, and I mean as party platform, start to and continuously denounce trade deals like NAFTA and fight for repealing it and replacing it with a better US deal. Better = Trade deficits between nations go back and forth both ways.
Bob's got this

Ultimately, the Democrats had the election hijacked because they got too complacent. They shot down real change (Bernie) and basically honed in on the most tired & corrupt candidate possible. The "Blue Wall" finally broke down and it was fascinating to watch

The thing for me is I don't view Hillary as say a typical partisan Democrat like Warren, Booker, Pelosi, Schumer etc. She was part of a political dynasty, like the Bush's and to me is a whole different league. I couldn't vote for her and it would have taken me a lot to vote for Jeb! had he made it.

If they choose Ellison or Warren in 2020 it will be a disaster. 2017 for the Dems might as well be the equivalent of 2008 for the Republicans. They really are stuck at the moment and probably wish Biden had run instead of Killary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2017, 09:35 PM
 
20,586 posts, read 8,763,396 times
Reputation: 7081
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Bob's got this

Ultimately, the Democrats had the election hijacked because they got too complacent. They shot down real change (Bernie) and basically honed in on the most tired & corrupt candidate possible. The "Blue Wall" finally broke down and it was fascinating to watch

The thing for me is I don't view Hillary as say a typical partisan Democrat like Warren, Booker, Pelosi, Schumer etc. She was part of a political dynasty, like the Bush's and to me is a whole different league. I couldn't vote for her and it would have taken me a lot to vote for Jeb! had he made it.

If they choose Ellison or Warren in 2020 it will be a disaster. 2017 for the Dems might as well be the equivalent of 2008 for the Republicans. They really are stuck at the moment and probably wish Biden had run instead of Killary.


You are absolutely right. No one was thrilled about Hillary running. But the choices were her or Bernie. You know Biden planned on running but with his son dying he just couldn't put his all into it. He had to grief and be there for his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,216 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

You are absolutely right. No one was thrilled about Hillary running. But the choices were her or Bernie. You know Biden planned on running but with his son dying he just couldn't put his all into it. He had to grief and be there for his family.
Well that isnt True.

I will admit, of the Dems I thought would run Hillary was probably 4th of who I would support, In fact, I voted for Martin O'Malley, who was tied for second on my list, but I still liked Clinton and was indeed thrilled for her being the nominee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,216 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't think this is the case yet. I think those states are the new swing states, but Trump's margin was so thin there that there is no way they could be considered red states. It could also be a fluke, like North Carolina and Indiana going blue in 2008. A lot of people thought North Carolina was going to follow Virginia in becoming blue, but it didn't happen.
Indiana was a fluke. North Carolina is purely turn out. You can like at North Carolina just as you look at Michigan(but in the reverse)

North Carolina has enough Dems there to win it, but they dont always turn out to vote.
Michigan has enough Republicans there to win it, but they dont always turn out to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 09:57 PM
 
20,586 posts, read 8,763,396 times
Reputation: 7081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Well that isnt True.

I will admit, of the Dems I thought would run Hillary was probably 4th of who I would support, In fact, I voted for Martin O'Malley, who was tied for second on my list, but I still liked Clinton and was indeed thrilled for her being the nominee.
Hillary was so flawed and ran a horrible campaign. I actually loved O'Malley. His problem was that he wasn't well known. And he might be too liberal for some. I hope he continues to get out there and make himself known. Maybe he will run again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,216 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it depends on how the economy goes over the next few years. if trump puts policies into place that push the economy forward, without hammering the debt like obama did, then he has a real chance to keep the states he won last year.

another issue though is how much congress blocks his efforts. if congress does block his efforts, they may end up on the ash heap of history, and trump just might get another four years again.
Trump cant win on that. Remember the Bernie town hall where the guy said he didnt want to retrain at a community college for a new career, he wanted his old manufacturing job back ? if that is at all true, then Trump has made a promise that he can not fulfill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Rust Belt is not going to consider a Democrat until they denounce trade deals like NAFTA, and if they do, Wall St billions to Dems are gone.
Again, its the Republican party that supported NAFTA, 78% of the Senate Republicans voted for it. 75% of the Republicans in the House voted for it.


Where as 51% of Senate Dems voted against Nafta and 60% of House Dems.

NAFTA was the vision of Reagan, negotiated by H.W. Bush, and simply implemented by Clinton.

Democrats are already getting blamed for Something they didnt support, so how are they going to win the next time this subject comes up ???

just for some perspective


Ohio Senate race

Rob Portman( voted for nafta repping OH 2nd) Vs Ted Strickland( voted AGAINST Nafta repping OH 6th)

As I have already said to you as well, not a single Democrat in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or Michigan vote for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,216 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Hillary was so flawed and ran a horrible campaign. I actually loved O'Malley. His problem was that he wasn't well known. And he might be too liberal for some. I hope he continues to get out there and make himself known. Maybe he will run again.
We are talking about 80,000 votes between 3 state deciding who was President. I don think you can call her campaign horrible simply because she lost.

And Hillary wasnt flawed, perception of her was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 AM
 
12,639 posts, read 7,290,996 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Hillary was so flawed and ran a horrible campaign. I actually loved O'Malley. His problem was that he wasn't well known. And he might be too liberal for some. I hope he continues to get out there and make himself known. Maybe he will run again.
Good lord. O'Malley was a complete disaster and you want to promote him. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2017, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,216 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Good lord. O'Malley was a complete disaster and you want to promote him. Unbelievable.
How was he a disaster, explain your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
883 posts, read 603,188 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
And Hillary wasnt flawed, perception of her was.

Funniest thing I've read on here in months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top