Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 02:46 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The real question is whether Democrats can ever win these states again. IMO, they have moved permanently to the GOP side of the equation.
agreed, unless Dems, and I mean as party platform, start to and continuously denounce trade deals like NAFTA and fight for repealing it and replacing it with a better US deal. Better = Trade deficits between nations go back and forth both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 02:45 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The real question is whether Democrats can ever win these states again. IMO, they have moved permanently to the GOP side of the equation.
I don't think this is the case yet. I think those states are the new swing states, but Trump's margin was so thin there that there is no way they could be considered red states. It could also be a fluke, like North Carolina and Indiana going blue in 2008. A lot of people thought North Carolina was going to follow Virginia in becoming blue, but it didn't happen.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:46 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't think this is the case yet. I think those states are the new swing states, but Trump's margin was so thin there that there is no way they could be considered red states. It could also be a fluke, like North Carolina and Indiana going blue in 2008. A lot of people thought North Carolina was going to follow Virginia in becoming blue, but it didn't happen.
A 180 degree turn on NAFTA would be the prereq to have any shot they do not stay red. These went red with a motive.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
agreed, unless Dems, and I mean as party platform, start to and continuously denounce trade deals like NAFTA and fight for repealing it and replacing it with a better US deal. Better = Trade deficits between nations go back and forth both ways.
I agree with you but that assumes that Trump does not cave into a weak trade policy like every President I have seen from Reagan to Obama. It is so much easier to not have to fight the establishment and just do what you are told. Anyway, time will tell.

Btw, what you are suggesting is for the Democrats is too almost return to their New Deal roots. The Upper Middle class liberal whites who dominate the Party used to embrace working and blue collar Americans. Now they mock and insult them, calling them "uneducated". But the danger for Democrats is their insults this time lost White voters, in future elections they may also begin to loose minority voters.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times
The democrats biggest problem for 2020 is democrats.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:36 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Democrats are still far too open to win in 2020... open borders, open bathrooms and open season on cops.
Why in the world would you blame open borders on democrats. It's both parties fault that they haven't done anything about this. How would you explain to your kids that a man is using the women's bathroom. And if they were transgender you would't know anyway. I don't really care because if the ladies line is too long I go in the men's bathroom anyway. I really don't care if they don't like me in there or not. I just apologize and say I have to go lol I think this is much to do about nothing. And I respect cops because in my community there are awesome. But some are not so great and abuse their power.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:51 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Democrats are still far too open to win in 2020... open borders, open bathrooms and open season on cops.

Democrats won in 2016, if Putin doesn't meddle in the 2020 elections, the Democrats will win again.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I agree with you but that assumes that Trump does not cave into a weak trade policy like every President I have seen from Reagan to Obama. It is so much easier to not have to fight the establishment and just do what you are told. Anyway, time will tell.

Btw, what you are suggesting is for the Democrats is too almost return to their New Deal roots. The Upper Middle class liberal whites who dominate the Party used to embrace working and blue collar Americans. Now they mock and insult them, calling them "uneducated". But the danger for Democrats is their insults this time lost White voters, in future elections they may also begin to loose minority voters.
Who are the minorities going to vote for? The party that constantly insults them, degrades them, and calls them leeches?

Old 04-08-2017, 12:51 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Their biggest problem is Hillary. That old hag is not going away. Always capturing the spotlight blaming Russians, FBI director, female hating voters, deplorable etc. And we are reminded why we did not vote for her or the democrats.

If she would just slink away and let rising starts like Gabbard, Harris etc rise then we can consider them and that party. But as long as she keeps blocking the sunlight it is going to be hard for the democrats.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:53 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Democrats won in 2016, if Putin doesn't meddle in the 2020 elections, the Democrats will win again.
Still living in fantasy land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections