Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 07:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

Two races with 30 points GOP margin in the past elections ending up with 7 points and 2 points victory for the GOP is very interesting and bodes well for the Democrats in future races.
The Democrat in Kansas still got whupped, and the Georgia district has seen heavy "changing demographics" in recent years, so comparisons to past elections mean ungatz. This changing demographics business is the Democrats' sole hope for the future, but if they can't win there how are they going to win in places where the demographics aren't changing much, like PA, OH, WI, MI, MN, and NH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Say huh? This district is 30% black and hispanic. If Dems can't win this district handily, then they're in bad shape.
Where exactly are you getting these #'s from?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:30 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Where exactly are you getting these #'s from?
Wikipedia. But my blow, it's actually 27%. But that was in 2010 so it's probably higher now, there's always some white flight going on in the ATL burbs.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Wikipedia. But my blow, it's actually 27%. But that was in 2010 so it's probably higher now, there's always some white flight going on in the ATL burbs.
Just for comparison purposes, the district is a bit whiter, more Hispanic, more Asian and considerably less black than the state as a whole.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Dear god, I have been out of pocket so I went to CNN to see the final result....

Democrats needed a win. They didn't get one in Georgia. - CNNPolitics.com

Quote:
For the second time in a week, Republicans dodged a potential political cataclysm.
WTF CNN....I've been a loyal CNN viewer for 25 years. They ARE my news source.

But in the last year they've clearly made a hard turn left for viewership.

I mean seriously, "dodged a potential political catacalysm"? WTH

I've spent the last week or so reading why due to demographics that the dem challenger might win etc. etc. but then CNN is spinning it as some sort of referendum when I've been hearing demographics all week.

I frankly think this kind of dishonesty winds up helping Trump because it supports his claims of media bias when certainly some of it is warranted. So when he DOES need a beat-down from the press, we have to be suspicious of them AND Trump.

Sorry folks, Politiicans are a pack of freakin' liars. The press has a clear bias, we've all heard "faux news" for over a decade but some of the more mainstream ones have skewed left hard lately, probably because "faux" has the right wing tied up so they have to fight for left viewership.

It's sad, I'm not condemning them more than the right....just sad that CNN has really slid from the middle.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
P.S. I do not give a tiny little crap about who won that GA seat. It's largely meaningless politically but seems to have been transformed into some sort of rally point. Extolled even in failure by CNN as a "near referendum". Sigh. WTF. WTF. ugh.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's just one leg on the piggy bank.

Clinton had Trump by almost 2:1 in money during the 2016 presidential race.

2016 Presidential Race
Thats not true. Here is the same site assigning anti candidate super pacs to those candidates

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/outside-groups

You think America Rising supports Hillary Clinton or any of the Democrats they spend money attacking ????

It also needs to be stated that Clintons money is partially shared with the DNC, where as Trumps is not with the RNC. So Hillary never had as much as claimed by those numbers. and Trump had congressional money help down ballot from the RNC.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
Quote:
Dear god, I have been out of pocket so I went to CNN to see the final result....

I've spent the last week or so reading why due to demographics that the dem challenger might win etc. etc. but then CNN is spinning it as some sort of referendum when I've been hearing demographics all week.

I frankly think this kind of dishonesty winds up helping Trump because it supports his claims of media bias when certainly some of it is warranted. So when he DOES need a beat-down from the press, we have to be suspicious of them AND Trump.

Sorry folks, Politiicans are a pack of freakin' liars. The press has a clear bias, we've all heard "faux news" for over a decade but some of the more mainstream ones have skewed left hard lately, probably because "faux" has the right wing tied up so they have to fight for left viewership.

It's sad, I'm not condemning them more than the right....just sad that CNN has really slid from the middle.
CNN is not "left". When was the last time you saw an in-depth discussion on CNN about money in politics, poverty in America, the plight of the disabled in America, the lack of labor rights and the consequences of for-profit prisons?

They dont highlight these issues. They are more like the extension of the establishment Democrats, just like the Republicans have their own shows.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:

Critical thinking is needed here.

CNN by your own writing, said it was possible to flip the seat because of Demographics, They didnt say it should happen or even that it was likely. Only that it could happen.

The truth is that people within Demographics obviously dont always vote like you think or even show up to vote( this district was 14 points i believe in November).

I think CNN was simply pointing out the possibility of a flip, and then the fact that coming so close indeed reflects more on Republicans than it does Democrats.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,210,635 times
The whole demographics thing is muddled. Trump underperformed among more educated whites and this district has a large proportion of educated whites. But- and its a big but- the educated whites in the Atlanta suburbs have long been a strength for the GOP. These are not the same 'educated whites' as the ones in Maryland, Boston suburbs or outside Chicago. They are looking at race, income, etc and ignoring regional trends.

FWIW- a Dem coming that close to win this district is huge when you look at the 20 point win for an R 5 months ago. And just like last fall both these candidates seem open to some pretty valid criticism.

The big question now is if the R votes consolidate. Last I saw Dem votes came to about 49 and Rs to 51. But the remaining candidates where at 48 and around 20. So she has the overall higher ceiling but he has more dedicated support at the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections