Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

The comparisons between the KS race and this GA one are comical.

No one really suggested the Democrats had a good shot at winning KS-4. A potential longshot? Yes, but a decent chance of winning? No.

Really the only similarity between the two districts is they are both traditionally Republican. KS-4 is a blue collar district which Trump won by 27. GA-6 is a well educated white collar suburban district that swung from Romney +23.3 to Trump +1.5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
I'm a Dem with relatives in that part of ATL Metro. It will be a major upset for a Dem to there. Certainly not Tues. which will simply result in a run-off, but that seat is pretty protected for Rep's as are most Cong. seats due to gerrymandering.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

No one really suggested the Democrats had a good shot at winning KS-4.....
Yes they did. There was a whole topic that said the GOP was "terrified".

Kansas special election in play - Republicans terrified

Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes they did. There was a whole topic that said the GOP was "terrified".

Kansas special election in play - Republicans terrified
The district being in play and Republicans scrambling and spending a bunch of $$ and still being a Democratic longshot are not mutually exclusive.

FWIW, I'm not even predicting an Ossoff win. I think it will go to a runoff and it is too early to really predict how that will turn out. However, GA-6 is considerably more competitive than KS-4 was so to put it in the same category is foolish. Both are traditionally very Republican, perhaps GA-6 even more so. However, Trump +27 compared to Trump +1.5 in which it swung 20 points, is considerably different.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:15 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
I live just a few miles outside GA-06 and work in the district. My impression is that the Republican who makes the runoff is probably favored to win - but they will have to work for it and unite the different factions of the party. Running a weak campaign and relying on the president and national Republicans to pull him over the finish line worked in KS-04, as that is a far more strongly red district. GA-06 voters want to hear more than "drain the swamp" and "A+ NRA rating", although those statements won't hurt.

Ultimately I don't think Democrats are going to win any of the open House seats, but it would be surprising if they don't achieve a net gain in the midterms, whether or not they can reach a majority. If they actually lose seats next year then I'd agree with the partisan Republicans in this forum that the Democratic party is becoming extinct in much of the country and seriously needs a makeover.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:53 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Never understood your hate for John Lewis, but Ossoff is the party backed candidate, so basically every Democrat supports him.
So you're not Votin'for Sloten?
Signs all over. My favorite: Vote your Ossoff

Old 04-16-2017, 12:06 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Quick! Who gained seats in the house and senate in the 2016 election? Which party won the popular vote for president?

Speaking of arrogant optimism.......
which party won the Presidency?

Old 04-16-2017, 12:13 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear,

I'm an electrical engineer. I deal in science & fact every day. What is your profession?
Is this thread about occupations? Nope. You are deflecting again.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:36 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I dropped 5 bucks on a bet showing that John Ossoff will win Georgia based upon data from a month ago. Currently that bet is up $.93

If I win, its $15 total. Currently the market of people putting money where their mouth is says he has a 44% chance. I bought at 34%. I think thats a appropriate betting level at the moment. Karen Handel is at 44% as well. Its neck and neck.
It's been a long time since I gambled, but at those #s your payout will be @ 2.2:1 or $11.

What gambling operations pays off on when you place your bets?

Old 04-16-2017, 12:59 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
as long as Hank "islands can tip over" Johnson remains in the House in GA, that place is a joke. he is living proof that voter fraud exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections