Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:30 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Texas hasn't voted for a Democrat in any statewide contest for about 25 years, a longer drought than any other state. O'Rourke definitely sounds like a stronger contender than the party has had in awhile, and Cruz is very polarizing with little appeal to less conservative voters. But actually flipping this extremely inelastic red state is very difficult and it will probably take a few more cycles until Texas is truly in play.

The issue for Texans is this:

Do they want to give control of the US Senate to NY liberal Chuck Schumer?

In this, they are willing to overlook a lot of Ted Cruz's considerable issues. If Cruz runs against Schumer, then Beto O'Rourke is basically irrelevant. Might as well put Santa Klaus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:44 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Default Focus of midterms

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

In this, they are willing to overlook a lot of Ted Cruz's considerable issues. If Cruz runs against Schumer, then Beto O'Rourke is basically irrelevant. Might as well put Santa Klaus.
Sure, maybe the midterms will be a referendum on Schumer, Pelosi, Clinton and Obama, and American patriots will rise up to reject their delusional view of politics.

But historically midterms tend to be more focused on judging the current party in power, which isn't the Democrats. People who are dissatisfied with the status quo tend to be more motivated to vote than those who are content. Of course, Texas is a conservative state, and will probably re-elect Cruz even if Democrats perform well elsewhere.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Sure, maybe the midterms will be a referendum on Schumer, Pelosi, Clinton and Obama, and American patriots will rise up to reject their delusional view of politics. ....
You can absolutely bet that outside of the Democrat Plantation cities & districts, Schumer & Pelosi will be on every US Senate & House race out there.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:54 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

No, that's not the issue for Texans. This is first time I've heard about Chuck Schumer at all in this senate race.

Unlike Cruz, Beto is actually meeting people in their respective counties and reporting on what the people are telling him are their concerns.

Cruz is worried about Schumer? Sounds about right coming from him.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:09 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I also have not heard anything about Senator Schumer here in Texas. Most political ads I have seen/heard from the Republicans brag about how 'conservative' they are. Some few mention President Trump, but not as many as one would think (although that may change after the primaries next Tuesday).

I rather assume that Mr. Trump will endorse Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz, born in the country of Canada. Of course, some of the Democratic Super Pac ads may decide to include some quotes from the Presidential campaign, such as when Senor Cruz said about Mr. Trump:

“This man is a pathological liar. He doesn’t know the difference between truth and lies. He lies practically every word that comes out of his mouth, and in a pattern that I think is straight out of a psychology text book, his response is to accuse everybody else of lying,†Cruz told reporters on May 3. “The man cannot tell the truth, but he combines it with being a narcissist—a narcissist at a level I don’t think this country’s ever seen. Donald Trump is such a narcissist that Barack Obama looks at him and goes, ‘Dude, what’s your problem?'â€

“The man is utterly amoral. Morality does not exist for him,†Cruz added. “Donald is a bully. … Bullies come from a deep, yawning cavern of insecurity.â€

Donald Trump and Ted Cruz's Worst Insults | Time

Remember when Mr. Trump attacked Heidi Cruz? We here in Texas do; here is one response by then-candidate Cruz (from same link):

“It is not acceptable for a big, loud New York bully to attack my wife. It is not acceptable for him to make insults, to send nasty tweets—and I don’t know what he does late at night, but he tends to do these at about 11:30 at night, I assume when his fear is at the highest point,†Cruz said on March 24. “I don’t get angry often. But you mess with my wife, you mess with my kids, that’ll do it every time. Donald, you’re a sniveling coward. Leave Heidi the hell alone.â€

Actually, I thought the above was Mr. Cruz's finest hour. Perhaps during this Senate campaign Mr. Cruz will remind us of his prior opinions of Mr. Trump.

Heck, if Mr. Cruz refuses Mr. Trump's endorsement, I may consider, briefly, voting for him.

Briefly.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lotsa us Texicans ain't real fond o' the way Lyin' Ted swallowed all them personal insults from tRump, 'specially the ones 'bout his wife and his pa, then proceeded to roll over and be his bootlicker.

Beto?

He ain't no nancy-boy from Canada.

Texas born an' bred.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
No, that's not the issue for Texans. This is first time I've heard about Chuck Schumer at all in this senate race.

Unlike Cruz, Beto is actually meeting people in their respective counties and reporting on what the people are telling him are their concerns.

Cruz is worried about Schumer? Sounds about right coming from him.
Responses.
  • Your personal anecdote doesn't change anything that I said.
  • Good for Beto.
  • Cruz isn't worried about Schumer. What gave you that idea. Cruz WILL make Schumer the issue should it come to that. And in that, I can't imagine that Texas will voted to turn the US Senate back to Democrat control. Anyone who doesn't understand this is going to be surprise on election day.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Lotsa us Texicans ain't real fond o' the way Lyin' Ted swallowed all them personal insults from tRump, 'specially the ones 'bout his wife and his pa, then proceeded to roll over and be his bootlicker.

Beto?

Texas born an' bred.

It's nice to see someone from oft-forgotten El Paso in the running.

I remember when I lived in Las Cruces, NM, El Paso might as well have been in NM for all the attention it didn't get from Austin.

Remember Perry's famous gaffe about how dangerous it was?
You'd think that the governor would actually know how many times El Paso had been named one of the safest large cities in the U.S.
Talk about being out of touch with one's constituents.

I can think of few people who would better understand the issues inherent in living in a border state than someone who grew up in El Paso.

Interesting profile article posted yesterday (link below).

This quote perfectly sums up the philosophy of many Democrats in "fly-over country," particularly in the mountain/high desert west.

"“What we were rejecting, unwittingly, and I wouldn’t have put it this way, was corporate rock-’n’-roll,” he said. “I don’t want you, in New York or L.A., deciding what I was going to listen to in El Paso. We in this campaign are rejecting corporate politics, literally rejecting corporate donations filtered through PACs, the special interests, and yes, the party bosses. I don’t want to know what their focus groups say, or their polls show, or their consultants have tested for me to repeat here. I want to know what’s on your mind.”"

He may be tilting at windmills but his is a welcome voice all the same.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/28/...term-elections

Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Beto?

Texas born an' bred.

If he is; why is his voting record on immigration the same as Pelosi, Hilary, Schumer and all the rest of the leadership! If he was born in Texas; why is he fighting a harder battle for those south of your border! He might as well have been born in southern California!

Old 03-01-2018, 02:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If he is; why is his voting record on immigration the same as Pelosi, Hilary, Schumer and all the rest of the leadership! If he was born in Texas; why is he fighting a harder battle for those south of your border! He might as well have been born in southern California!

By all means, feel free to vote for Lyin' Ted.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections