U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM

4,665 posts, read 8,713,804 times

Advertisements

The Toronto Globe and Mail has an interesting article out today, especially in light of all the negative attacks from Clinton and her supporters on Obama in the past few weeks.

Quote:
"He said someone from (Hillary) Clinton's campaign is telling the embassy to take it with a grain of salt. . . That someone called us and told us not to worry."

mod cut: some text removed

globeandmail.com: 'NAFTAgate' began with remark from Harper's chief of staff (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080305.wharpleak0305/BNStory/National/home - broken link)
After a week of attacking Obama over this, it turns out, Clinton did the exact same thing! Maybe Texas and Ohio should get a re-vote, now that they have all the information ?

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-06-2008 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,423,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
The Toronto Globe and Mail has an interesting article out today, especially in light of all the negative attacks from Clinton and her supporters on Obama in the past few weeks.

After a week of attacking Obama over this, it turns out, Clinton did the exact same thing! Maybe Texas and Ohio should get a re-vote, now that they have all the information ?
I hope Obama calls her on this.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 AM

163 posts, read 833,564 times
What's the deal with these stories about "somebody" in the Clinton/Obama campaigns, talking to "somebody" in the Canadian gov't about someone saying something about NAFTA.....

I'd like to see some concrete proof of what was said. I'd like to see an interview with the actual persons involved. Seems like an awful lot of speculation and confusing misinformation is associated with these stories.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
What's the deal with these stories about "somebody" in the Clinton/Obama campaigns, talking to "somebody" in the Canadian gov't about someone saying something about NAFTA.....

I'd like to see some concrete proof of what was said. I'd like to see an interview with the actual persons involved. Seems like an awful lot of speculation and confusing misinformation is associated with these stories.
I think that's the larger point in that particular article, that the conservative Canadian Prime Minister should not be selectively leaking things to influence the US elections. We still don't know exactly what those "assurances" either candidate's advisors gave the Canadian government. It's very likely that the assurances were that little would change between Canadian/US trade, as the focus is on the lower environtmental and labor standards in Mexico that affects the US much more than Canada due to our shared border.

I'm sure the Clinton campaign knows this, yet they chose to demagogue Ohio voters about Obama's alleged double talk nonstop, all while knowing their campaign has done the exact same thing. That type of hypocrisy reeks terribly.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,948,909 times
And you can bet that the TV media won't be reporting this.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,948,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post

Yeah. Where's the memo? The Obama camp "visit" produced a memo. Where is the Clinton camp memo?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM

5,193 posts, read 7,506,836 times
All this just adds to the interesting development that so many conservatives are trying to help Hillary win the nomination. She's getting help from:

Rush Limbaugh
Rupert Murdoch
The National Review
The Canadian Prime Minister's office
Fox News
Ann Coulter

I think the only reasoning is that they know she is beatable and will energize their base.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
All this just adds to the interesting development that so many conservatives are trying to help Hillary win the nomination. She's getting help from:

Rush Limbaugh
Rupert Murdoch
The National Review
The Canadian Prime Minister's office
Fox News
Ann Coulter

I think the only reasoning is that they know she is beatable and will energize their base.
Good point.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 AM

163 posts, read 833,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

I'm sure the Clinton campaign knows this, yet they chose to demagogue Ohio voters about Obama's alleged double talk nonstop, all while knowing their campaign has done the exact same thing. That type of hypocrisy reeks terribly.
Ding ding ding....thats exactly what happened, and I hope he calls her out on this.

I was disappointed that Obama didn't defend himself more when this story broke. He's usually quick to respond with a good rebuttal, but he really dropped the ball on this one.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 AM

8,062 posts, read 15,874,339 times
Oh, please. If that were the case, the Obama people and the media would have been ALL over it and trumpeting their discovery from every rooftop (and laptop).

Is the Toronto Globe and Mail the same type of rag, cough, newspaper as the London Daily Mail? I've found INCREDIBLE things about Obama in the London Daily Mail but haven't posted them here because it's not necessarily credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or